Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: If you like a kite....................buy a Wainman
tridude

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 03:03 PM
If you like a kite....................buy a Wainman

thats kicks some serious bootay and you dont mind pumping you've gotta try a Wainman. I bought the 12m Boss new and although its early dayz its truly amazing. Ive been looking at the delta shapes for a while and finally jumped on one. Robust but simple design will def make for a great year next season. Im sure this kite will assist in further developing my strapless/wave riding skillz.....................

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 03:52 PM

I am so frickin' shallow.... and apparently a pushover for bunnies.

5M Bunny

7M Gypsy

9M Smoke

12M Boss

15M Big Mama

Yes, the last side marking is a slightly zaftig bunny, with a bad wig, showing a little leg and hoisting a gun.

Dang, someone has a rockin' sense of whimsy. :thumbup: :thumbup:

ATB,
Sam

P.S. Killer ad copy.... someone's enjoying their job. :yes:

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
tridude

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 04:32 PM

nice..................and thats the lineup

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 06:41 PM

Hey

My friend has the 6.5 and 9 meter.
I haven't tried them yet, but I've been out with him a couple times. He's just beginning and they are super user friendly with good feedback and very easy to relaunch.
Oh and apparently they can take a bit of a beating. Lol.

John
Jaymz

Mood: Wizzy

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 09:36 PM

A guy here at our local spot flys a 9 and a 12. He's one of the top riders here and is so smooth. He's brazilian and spends alot of time riding there also. Kites look sweet.

Spleene X-19
PL Syn 15, P18,
Gin Eskimo 14m, 11m, 8.5m, 6m
PL Viper 3.9m
HQ Beamer IV 2m
NPW5 2.5m, 4.8m, 6.9m
HQ Rush3 250 pro (Sons)
Naish Cult 12m, 9m, 7m
Slingshot Rally 14m
Litewave Storm 132, Wing 153
Libre Fullrace, PL Bigfoot
Coyote skates
Dirtsurfer GP20
Kitewing 5.5
KITE IceBoat
Scud boots ;)
sparkin_larkin

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:39 PM

Thats eye candy:yes:
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:42 PM

I was riding with a guy on the outer banks that was using a 12m. Very distinctive kite in the sky. He was getting along about like everyone else.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
tridude

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:49 PM

performance with a touch of black bling.....Jekyll Island on a 13 to 23 NNE..................:thumbup::thumbup::smilegrin:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 06:17 PM

Rip' and Coolbreeze have just brought in a couple of Wainman kites!

Saturdays lesson. You can be sure your kite will eventually be filled when pumping.

The Blimps got filled ( and even flew ) when the arcs didn't but NOBODY got to ride on our 1st snow day due to no wind. :ticking:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
tridude

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 06:31 PM

too bad the wind didnt show..make sure to try the Wainmans...the fly alot t like the Speed 2s via bar input......................make sure to use the upwind settings on the bridal at the kite, fast setting on the rear leader, and high wind knot on the rear leaders..................let her run to the edge like the Flysurfers then tweak bar as required/personal preference........................:thumbup::thumbup::lol::lol::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
ripsessionkites

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 02:30 AM

the Big Rabbit is on the Upwind setting / the Smoke is on the one point (bridle less) configuration

give me wind to snow kite NOW!!!

tridude

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 06:05 AM

Im sure the Smoke with direct connect bridal config (no pulleys) is fast and responsive i.e. the North Vegas'......................look forward to your comments

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
tridude

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 06:22 PM

I now have the Boss dialed in on her bridal adjustments and she is loaded for bear. Huge range with emphasis on big top end........20 kts is very easy to handle with just the bar for depower. I still havent used the trimmer to depower other than to self land or launch.........@ Rip use the top knot alwayz on the rear leader and use the factory or default middle knot on the bridal and leading edge connect point..........awesome kite this one....Rip, you're going to enjoy the Boss and we all know you love lots-o-power.......................:lol::lol::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
ripsessionkites

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tridude
I now have the Boss dialed in on her bridal adjustments and she is loaded for bear. Huge range with emphasis on big top end........20 kts is very easy to handle with just the bar for depower. I still havent used the trimmer to depower other than to self land or launch.........@ Rip use the top knot alwayz on the rear leader and use the factory or default middle knot on the bridal and leading edge connect point..........awesome kite this one....Rip, you're going to enjoy the Boss and we all know you love lots-o-power.......................:lol::lol::duh:

on the first snow day morning, i do mean morning (400am as the snow was falling) i went out as the snow was falling in 12 to 14 knots and had a blast snowkiting for about two hours using the Mama Rabbit.

both Coolbreeze and I used again later that day. it wasnt enough in less than 8 knots.

i have to say in the right wind, +1 for the delta shape and relaunching in snow.

+2 for the windrange it has.

+3 snow / rain will not keep me from flying now

Join the Rabbit Gang, ill be the mini one.

:wee:

question, are you using the extensions? I really hate long lines and was thinking of dumping them.

tridude

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 12:21 PM

Ive had the 12m Boss about 2 months and have been thoroughly pleased with the build and performance....................the Delta design really delivers on all their acclaims. Multiple tuning options allow you to dial the kite how you want it. There are 3 bridal tuning options on the leading edge and 3 depower options on the rear leaders. The default setting on the leading edge/bridal works the best for me. The light wind or top not on the rear leader works best in all conditions.

The Boss goes very well upwind and the sharp reponsive turns makes for a great wave kite. Curved leading edge makes for a fast and effective auto relaunch. The safety system works well. The kite flags and falls leading edge down ready for relaunch. Turn the bar right or left the kite jacks up and back up she goes. Depending on your weight, riding conditions and type board range will vary. Im 195 lbs and rode the Boss in 10/11 kts in flat water on my Spleene Door. 13/14 kts Im easily powered on my 139. The Boss points upwind well on an outbound tack, then rides/sits solid down the line on the ride back in. My son loves the pop on unhooked tricks and says its a great freestyle kite. Last but not least jumping. Load her up, send her back, and you will rise. Lower AR makes her very floaty on the descent.

Great kite, solid build with a nice price tag that has loads of performance. Great for beginners or experienced riders. If you get the opportunity to demo one dont pass it up........................:lol::lol:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
AirSupport

[*] posted on 12-26-2010 at 12:44 PM

New to the forum but not to kiting. I had the wainmans for over a year and at first i really liked them too. Although like every design it has its limitations. I would have to disagree with those who say this kite has a lot of range, imo it has very limited sheeting capabilities and depower. While it can produce modest lift if powered it has virtually no hangtime and tends to drop riders like a stone. Lastly the safety system on the kite is extremely dangerous. The mini 5th line they provide does not flag out the kite only doubles the amount of depower on the bar. After watching one of my friends almost get dragged to his death after punching out, i put mine up for sale. With all that being said i think its still a good kite for advanced riders who are looking to unhook and ride in steady lighter winds.

tridude

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 06:15 AM

horses for course but this kite jumps well with alot of float (i.e a lower AR kite) which also means easier relaunch regardless of the leading edge shape. Are you familiar with chord length, AR, and how it works..................? The safety system is a basic front line flag out. You can leash direct to it or rig the mini 5th line, which could be a better design but through doubling the depower as you say the kite falls out of the sky once deployed. The range is amazing. This kite does depower well thru the bar but the throw isnt huge like you see on most inflatables. All thats required is pull the trimmer. Ive flown my 12m in 22/23 kts/gusty and loved it, easily handling the gusts with bar action. Again, this horse likes this course............................:o

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
AirSupport

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 02:53 AM

I agree with you on the easier water re-launching, however you have it bass ackwards on the float. I am very familiar with chord lengths and the lower the ar the less hangtime a wing will produce. Lower ar = less hangtime this is a well known fact. In regards to the safety system the mini 5th line does not flag the kite after the pilot ejects which can lead to very dangerous situations. If you want a tried and true safety system stick with a single line flag out that allows the bar to ride up one of the kites lines. Attached is an article on aspect ratio to clear up any misconceptions.

http://www.windwizards.com/unasratosepr.html

Kamikuza

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 04:49 AM

That seems counter-intuitive to me, AirSupport - do you mean with a redirected moving kite or with the kite just parked overhead and hanging off it?
Intuitively, I'd expect a low AR kite to provide more float when just hanging under it but to give less when directed and vice versa for a high AR kite ... :dunno:
Low AR more sail-like, more downwind, more power from catching wind & high AR more wing-like, more upwind, more power from moving through the air ... :dunno:

AR I always took as length vs width or chord ... I've never heard it described as lift vs drag before - wouldn't that be the Lift-to-drag Ratio? ;)

Huh, silly article :lol:
Quote:
Cons of a moderate aspect ratio kiteboarding kite:
... more pressure on the bar, which is usually good for heavier stronger riders as they prefer the constant feedback.

Cons of a high aspect ratio kiteboarding kite:
... less feedback(bar pressure), which is usually good for heavier stronger riders as they prefer the constant feedback.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
ragden

Mood: ready to ride...

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 05:37 AM

Playing devil's advocate here for a second... and throwing a little monkey-wrench...

The Speed3 is a pretty high-aspect ratio kite (correct me if i'm wrong here, please), and the hang-time is epic. Whether you are redirecting it, or just hanging beneath it, once you pull the trigger the only way you are going to crash hard is if you dive the kite and let it slam you... At least, thats been my experience with it...

Granted, thats a crazy foil.. Not an LEI...

Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DELUXE
Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Flysurfer Psycho4 8m
Peter Lynn Buggy
Twisted Velocity (164)
Spleene (Monster) Door 164x50 (for sale?)
FlyDoor XL (2013)
2011 Spleene RS 132
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 06:31 AM

Yeah but look at the supported ie. projected area of the Speed's ...

PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 06:38 AM

high AR = less drag and fly faster

larger window = better up wind, greater power range (not necessarily depower)

lift = kite acceleration

more lift = more speed

more chord = faster TURNING kite and more drag (fly slower)

apply as needed, simple, but i think accurate.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 04:25 PM

I just tried the smoke 9m today on snow.

So sweet. :thumbup:

I am thinking about getting a combo 9-12 now.
tridude

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 04:38 PM

nice to hear Buzz......................did you go with or without pulleys? Either way thats gotta be one fast turning kite:lol::duh: I have the 12m and love it...................

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 06:07 PM

no pulley setup.

too bad the 12m can not be set that way, but the bridle system is still simple.

much better than those CAB

Quote:
Originally posted by tridude
nice to hear Buzz......................did you go with or without pulleys? Either way thats gotta be one fast turning kite:lol::duh: I have the 12m and love it...................
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 08:24 PM

Whaddya mean, Cab has a very simple bridle system .............. compared to FS :lol:

tridude

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 06:25 AM

Sun/Mon back to back sessions which is quite the gift this time of year. Winds both dayz were SSW/SW in the 15 to 17 kt range, tide was high but but headed out......................this kite does all you want..........upwind is amazing (the best upwind tube Ive ridden) down the line on a wave sweet...... excellent boost and float............relaunch you ask.......If you cant relaunch a Wainman you shouldnt be flying kites. Self launch and land piece-o-cake as well. The depower for riding strapless is excellent and my son tells me unhooked is crazy good. Construction and attention to details immaculate.

As for off the water the Wainman is very stable and makes a great buggy motor. Again if your out by yourself the unassisted launch and land is simple to do. I would imagine the same could be said for the KGB but I gave that up a coouple years back....................

Great packagae and price.......forum member Rip has a few of the Waimans and is selling do to his new position with Peter Lynn but he will also tell yo how sweet they are on snow....................thanks for reading..............................;-):lol::lol::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Drewculous

Mood: Official Tough Mudder :D

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 11:59 AM

the only kite shop around here carries Wainmans...... gonna hafta make a trip to lake Mac and see if i can take a test drive.... :tumble:

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
HQ: Montana 4 12.5m, Apex 3 5m
Flexi: Blade ViP, Rage 1.8m \"lil Pepi!\"
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Corsair Crash Test Dummy (QC Suervisor :lol: )
My most perfect days have been on Jekyll
tridude

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 12:06 PM

you can fly my two @ JIBE...................

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Drewculous

Mood: Official Tough Mudder :D

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 12:40 PM

Hell yeah!

That'd be awesome!!

The more I look for places to kite around here, the more I realize, the only suitable places to really let loose, are the smallish lakes.... And it'd really piss me off if I bow tied my phanny in the middle of the lake lol.... I really want to try these! Thank you for the offer 'dude!

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
HQ: Montana 4 12.5m, Apex 3 5m
Flexi: Blade ViP, Rage 1.8m \"lil Pepi!\"
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Corsair Crash Test Dummy (QC Suervisor :lol: )
My most perfect days have been on Jekyll
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio