Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Approaching The Sod Farmer
ChrisH

[*] posted on 9-27-2010 at 02:53 PM
Approaching The Sod Farmer

Around here we have a lot of sod farms and I am going to try to get permission to fly on some. I figure you go to them with a plan and maybe a waiver all made up for them to sign.

What do you guys do when you approach the sod farmer? Should I dress a certain way or go casual? Should I pick a field and ask if I can fly on that field or what? Should I inform them of what type of kite I am flying? I thought I would ask here before I go knocking on doors and walking into corporate offices.:smilegrin:

Hopefully I can get permission now while I don't have a buggy and get the farmer to trust me enough to buggy when I do get one.

US711
MG Croozer
flash

[*] posted on 9-27-2010 at 08:22 PM

two things that might help in your area. Get in touch with the owner of Big Kid Kites out of Washington. He has some experience with this. That, or try and get in touch with the guys setting up NAPKRA in WA. I know that some of those guys have worked a lot of land use/issues cases.

Also, there is a place up in Quincy Washington, (yes I know a long drive) that is a sod farm and has had a history of allowing us to fly there. Called Parties on the Green, or something to that effect. The family is super helpful if you have any questions that you might want to ask a sod farmer about what a sod farmer would want to hear. :)

I would say that the one thing that is going to go the farthest in your approach, other then being nice and respectful (no doubt you would be :smilegrin: ) is to have gear that you will give them for the use of their property. I.e. if you can swing an extra trainer or 5m kite and show them how to fly it, then you have made a kiter out of them and they will love you for it.

As far as everything else, don't show up in your usual kite gear (if you have seen mine you know why I usually keep it in the car till I am ready to ride). Approach the farmer on a day you do NOT plan to kite. Ask them if they have heard about land based powerkiting, what they know about it, and offer to explain. If they are open to the idea show them your equipment and hint to them that there are other sod farms that allow kiters. I would suggest that your first sod farmer be one that has had a history of allowing hot air balloons, or powered parachutes, or ultralights etc... on their property. These are the ones that are more open to the concept.

well... I hope that helps you get started. I will see if I can find the phone numbers for some folks I know in the area that are open to it. My fellow teammate up in Hood River is doing the same for sod Farmers south of her. She might be able to help too.

Generally, if you are super respectful, and you form a relationship with the farmer, then they love having you out there. does good things for the grass or something. I don't know, I think they just get a kick out of using the kite and zipping across it themselves.

Beamer IV 1.4m, 2.0m, 4.0m, 5.0m
Crossfire 3.0m, 4.0m, 6.5m
Prodigy 6.0m
Neo II 8.0m, 11.0m
Apex III all of \'em
Montana V 9.5m, 12.5m,
Montana VI 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m
DAKITEZ

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 9-27-2010 at 10:17 PM

don't show up with waivers and things like that. That will just turn them off and they will wonder what you are doing to need all this paper work. Most farming people are hard working honest people and hate the point of all this paper work and liability stuff. You just need to approach them very calm and relaxed. Explain to them that you fly large kites and it is very difficult to find areas to fly that are free from many people, trees, dogs, kids, etc. Worked for screwyfits and I :wee:

Also this goes back to another post you had. First and foremost rule if you get permission is do not leave any trace behind that you were there. I am mainly talking about kite stakes. It is a cheap thing for us and if we lose one its easy to say oh well forget about it. But if you leave it and they run over this metal stake with their mowers ??? not a pretty situation. We go as far as numbering our stakes and at the end of the day making sure we have the correct number of stakes picked up.

I wish you luck on your search.
ChrisH

[*] posted on 9-27-2010 at 10:55 PM

Thanks for all the great information guys. Nothin better than first hand knowledge:D Dino..I fully understand what your sayin about the stakes, the last thing I would want to do is damage their property in any way.

US711
MG Croozer
revpaul

Mood: let\'s boogie

[*] posted on 9-28-2010 at 09:25 AM

i drove by a huge sod farm the other day and thought about the same thing.
i agree with dino about paper work(waivers and such) and leaving no trace or damage/skids/ruts/garbage.
when i put myself in land owners shoes the concern was damage to turf/crop/$$$/livelyhood.
one thing i did think about as part of the "approach" was to "maybe" inconvenience the other lucky sod riders to ask if they'd kindly ask for/get a quick reference from their land owners stating that the sport does/has not had any harmfull affect to their property(s).
i don't know how one would go about this step. i wouldn't like to ask the guys to ask more of the landowners though.
Paul

PKD-0.7m Buster, 1.4m Buster, 1.8m Century
HQ-Beamer III 3m
PL-Reactor 3.8m, Reactor II 6.9m
Ozone-IGNITION 1.6m, Little Devil 4.5m, 7.3m Frenzy
Pansh-Sprint Ltd Ed 5m, 7m Ace
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
FS- Pulse2 12m, Speed 1.5 17m, lots of Revs and dual line stunters
Sirocco Sprint 4.2, 5.2 -SIROCCOx 5.2-
SlasherQuan

[*] posted on 9-28-2010 at 09:25 AM

There are video's on YouTube and Vimeo that show our activities. I have founf when talking to people who are not familiar with power kiting that these aides explain more than words ever could. I personally use the video on YouTube titled "What we do on a dry lake bed", I keep it pulled up in the youtube search on my I-phone.
ChrisH

[*] posted on 9-28-2010 at 11:10 AM

I think that if you're going to ask to buggy on their land you may want a reference but for somebody who just wants to fly static it's not really necessary imho.

Slasher...That's a good idea, I think I will do the same.

I emailed a few sod farms around here and I got a response from one of them, JB Instant Lawns. The CEO emailed back asking for my phone number so that her husband (owner) could give me a call. It's sounding pretty promising so far! JB is quite a large company and I think they have farms in Washington too? I didn't think email would be the best way to go but it's looking pretty good so far. If just one of these big sod farms give me access I will always have a place to fly.:tumble:

In my email I just introduced myself, told them where I live, explained that I fly kites and that it is very difficult to find large areas to fly that are free of kids, trees, dogs etc. I assured them that I would not do anything to damage their property and that I would leave no trace. Pretty much exactly what Dino said to say:D I also told them that there are other sod farms that allow people like myself to fly on their land but the closest one that I know of is in Quincy, Wa.

US711
MG Croozer
DAKITEZ

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 9-28-2010 at 11:21 AM

just keep in mind before you exhaust all the farms in your area. It is much easier to say no over the phone or email. show up in person and I feel that is your best chance for the owner to say yes.

I hope one of them works out for you.
arkay

[*] posted on 9-28-2010 at 01:56 PM

There are more sod farms on west by hillsboro ;) I still have to hit up a few. I found a nice "seed" farm in helvetia that I need to approach. The guy has a good relationship with a friend farmer, so this should help. It's also at a higher altitude so there are less trees and more wind :D

US503 - Manzanita, Oregon

Fixed Bridal: Flexifoil Sting 1.2, 1.7; Rage Acid 2.5m, 3.5m, 4.7m, 6m | Peter Lynn Vapor 11.2m, 16.1m | NPW 7m
Depower : Peter Lynn Venom 2 13m, 16m, 19m | Peter Lynn Phantom 15m | Flysurfer 2.5 SA 19m
LEI : Flexifoil Atom 7m, 9m, 12m; Mutiny 8m
Land rides : Libre Hardcore; Libre v-max; Peter Lynn XR+W | Rollerblade Coyotes! | Ground Industries AK Pro
Water rides : Slingshot Misfit 134; Ocean Rodeo Mako 150; North WAM! 5\'10

4 Sale/Trade: HQ M1 5m, Flysurfer Pulse 10, PL Venom 2 16m, PL Venom 19m

mgatc

[*] posted on 9-28-2010 at 08:43 PM

Might be able to get a reference from my local Sod guy if you need one. My experience has been that most of these folks thing power kiting is as cool as we do once they understand it.

Not questioning your integrity but stay true to your word and respect the man's property and you'll never have to look for another place to ride. A few things that I promised: If I open a gate, I will close it.
If the field is soggy, I will not ride.
I will not ride over newly seeded areas.
I will leave the place in better shape than I found it. (I often pick up trash that others have left including along the roadway at the entrance)
I accept full responsibility for my actions and the results/consequences of them
I will obtain the owners permission before allowing someone else to enter the property to kite.
I will respect the owners direction and only ride where permitted regardless of wind direction.
I will ride in a way so as to minimize potential damage to the turf, ie limit skidding
I try and avoid doing "crazy stuff" like big airs when the owner is near.

When the owner is at the field when I get there I always take the time to go over and speak BEFORE setting up. "How are you" and How's the family" go a long way toward building a lasting relationship. "Is there anything you need me to do differently" kinda lets the owner know that you know he is still in charge.

It is not my intent to preach to you so please don't take offense. What I have described is simply what I committed to in order to have a nice place to ride. Your circumstances are sure to be different.

Interesting thing in my situation. The owner loved the idea of my son and I kiting on his property and fully endorsed it with virtually no limits. About 2 months later he approached me and, acting somewhat embarrassed, told that he had mentioned the kiting to his lawyer. The lawyer suggested some type of notarized release form was needed to protect him from the big "L" word ( shhh, "liability"). I complemented his attorney for being concerned about his welfare and told him I would be happy to provide the release form and also thought that it was a good idea. He seemed quite relieved that I didn't protest.

Oh, and one other thing. I have a part-time landscaping business and now buy ALL of my sod from this farm. I also refer others him as well. For full access to a 1/2 mile by 3/4 level grass field, its worth every penny.

Good luck
m

HQ: Scout 3m, Neo 11m, Neo 8m
PL: Scorpion 10m
Cabrinha: 12m Switchblade, 16m Crossbow
SU-2 Bigfoot, Liquid Force Proof 151, Klein 145
MBS Comp 90 Landboard
Flexifoil Buggy
Mystic Waist/Seat Harness
2 DIY Plyboards
pbc

Mood: Updated, edited, and published

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 02:42 AM

Nice post Mel. Thanks.

This thread is inspiring. I need to find me a sod farmer. :-)

Philip

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

I build: Custom bars for buggy pilots

I write about kite stuff: at http://philipbchase.com

Philip Chase
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 06:28 AM

Been watching this post to see what if anything people did the same or different from my experience.
mgatc said it best, remember this is a business, not someones front yard all the neighbor hood kids play on.

In my area we have different sod for different use, and it is grown with different materials. Some are very hardy and some are not, we have a few that even walking over will damage the sod. Do your home work and find out the type of grass they grow before asking to damage the field.
The liability aspect is a reality also, be aware of it and hope for the best, but if you are asked to come up with some sort of release tell them "absolutely".
You have leave them with the idea that you are an asset to the place, not a liability.

2 kites and a used buggy helped me to say Thanks to the owner of the sod farm I tear up on a regular basis, I have even had a NAKPA event at this place.
Good luck with your quest, let us know how it turns out.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
lynn1221

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 06:02 PM

You can check the sod to ensure proper watering by gently peeling back a corner of the sod. Make sure the soil and the soil pad (under grass) is wet. This shows that the watering is effectivelouis vuitton wallet and is penetrating through the soil. Another way to check your soil is by using a screwdriver. If the soil is too dry, the screwdriver will not be able to penetrate through it. You want the screwdriver to go in easily without coming out muddy. You want the water to go down deep so the roots will follow the water. If the water stays on top, then roots will too.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio