Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Back from vacation...
Flummoxed

[*] posted on 8-29-2010 at 10:48 PM
Back from vacation...

Home from my vacation at Hilton Head, SC. Was great being able to fly a power kite on the beach for the first time ever. Unfortunately the beach had strict rules about everything you can do at a beach. One rule was 'No flying 2(+) line kites from 10am to 6pm... As much I curse at the sign every time I looked at it I can understand why, that beach was very crowded. Everyday I went to the waters edge before 10am, no wind, went there at 6pm and had to wait till dark most days before area would clear out for a safe flying area.

I don't have the jumping down yet but scuding through the sand 30 -50 feet at a time was exciting for me and my 'audience' that quickly formed. Scored points with my girlfriend’s family by letting her father and aunt have some fly time. Her dad did well, aunt not so well. Yelled out 'Good job' and next thing I know shes sliding on her chest/face several feet in the sand with someone yelling "SAFE!" when she came to a stop. :wee:

So today after being tossed around the beach I come home to 15mph ish winds, get the kite out and hurt my foot right away by landing funny on hard lumpy grass jamming my toe, lol. Nail is blue so I expect that to fall off sometime…

Like to say thanks to the people over in the accessories forum who answered my questions about getting a harness and how to use it. :thumbup::thumbup:

IMG_0198.JPG - 118kB

HQ Beamer IV 5m
PL Voltage 6.5m
PL Synergy 10m, 15m
lives2fly

[*] posted on 8-30-2010 at 06:24 AM

I hate that sh*t - its a lot harder for people to do it in Scotland as the land reform act 2003 makes it alsmost impossible for people to ban access to land for "recreational purposes"

I always smile when I see that someone has used the "No Camping. No Fires" signs for firewood at one of our local beaches. I think they have given up replacing them now.

Fortunately its mostly too cold for the type of person who likes to just sit around and get in the way on the beach so there is no point them trying to ban peaople who have better ideas for what to do with it :)

15m Naish Fly,12m & 7.5m Naish Cults, 10m & 12m Naish Parks, 9m Naish Bolt, 6m & 14m Naish X3's, 13m PL Venom, 10m & 6m Ozone Access,
1.5m flexi Buzz, 3.5m Flexifoil Bullet, 4.7m flexi Rage, 5.6m PL Twister II, 6.6m flexi Blade, 8.0m HQ Toxic
Flexdeck Landboard, Nobile Flying Carpet 160, Airush Switch 142, Slingshot Misfit 136, Naish Monarch 134, North Whip 5'8", Fischer Skis, Palmer & Drake Snowboards.
acampbell

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 8-30-2010 at 06:31 AM

We are fortunate here on Jekyll Island as the few rules we have are to protect nesting sea turtles and that is at night. The island is state park so all beach is public and the anchorites know that we kiters try to self-police for safety. But I can still buzz the Georgia State Patrol truck with the buggy and not get busted (I get smile and a wave).

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 8-30-2010 at 09:39 AM

ah rules, looks familiar, believe i ran the same pic some time ago.

the extended "summer" times, along with tides and wind peak, makes for tough and few land rides. esp. in public crowded spot even during low tide.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio