Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: newbie newbie new
fightingfish

[*] posted on 5-31-2005 at 01:52 PM
newbie newbie new

hi all!

i've been reading through this forum for the past week. i've learned much, and have been impressed by knowledge of the posters.

today i just ordered my first traction kite. i went with an Ozone Samurai 4.0. i'm a little concerned with the size of it, being a first time traction flyer. however, i do weigh almost 200 lbs. and i plan on flying it in light wind conditions for sure.

just figured i'ld introduce myself and my situation. seeing as i may have future problems or questions to post in the near future. luckily i've found an avid traction flyer in this area(Akron/Cleveland,Ohio). once i get the hang of some basics, i'll probably look to go flying with others...to learn and socialize with. well anyway, thanks for the people who run this forum, and thanks to the people who offer advice and experiences!

-fightingfish
Scoopy

Mood: Always Good

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 05:33 AM

Just take your time learning the kite. You will be more than fine with a 4m and your weight. I flew a 6m in winds gusting to 30. It was scary fun, but I weigh 300. Just keep your wits about you, start small, and work your way up. You picked a great first kite both type and size. Just ask if you have any more problems or questions.

Scoop

dai_pie

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 01:18 PM

I'd agree with Scoopy, I just got a 4m samurai (first kite of my own) and its great. I would recomend taking it out in very low winds to begin with, it flyies quite happily in next to no wind. I also suggest you take the kite killers off it when it arrives - so if anything goes wrong you can just let go & you'll be safe, kites are easier to repair & replace than people!
I weigh a bit less than you (about 160lbs) but I don't feel the kites too big (tho I probly won't get one bigger for a while) as It's entirely up to the kiter what weather they go out in, In a really gentle breeze the samurai's a lovelly relaxing kite to fly, in stronger winds it takes on a different character and will give a good workout!
If you go out in strongish winds you will get lifted & pulled so get lots of practice in calm weather first. I went out in blustery conditions today and was sliding along and getting lifted a fair bit, but the kite seems really controllable - when I pulled on the brake lines it de-powered nicelly. Also had the handles ripped out of my hands once so it yep it has plenty of pull! - a good reason not to use kite killers IMHO
Just a Scoopy said take your time and work your way up and I'm sure you'll have loads of fun!!
fightingfish

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 02:24 PM

well i got my samurai today. i was very impressed with it at first look. the craftsmanship seems excellent, no noticable flaws.

went out to a local park, with wide open soccer pitches. weather called for 5-10mph winds. but it seemed more like 1-3mph. with a breeze every 20 minutes or so. i guess i understand the term 'dirty wind' now.

i got the kite off the ground a few times. only once did it make a shot straight up to the zenith. at that time, i realized the lines seemed very off kilter. so i shortened the break lines quite a bit, and the lead lines a little.

then the wind died all together. never got it off the ground again. the clouds weren't moving at all. and dandelion puffy seed weren't even moving.

it was certainly a dissapointing first outting. hopefully i'll get at least SOME wind sometime soon. i'm looking forward to going back out, and giving her another go.

-fish
fightingfish

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 04:33 PM

went out again today to try out the samurai. winds were maybe 15+ mph. well needless to say it was pretty intense. i got pulled all around the field we were at. what a workout! my hands are sore from the death grip on the handles. arms and upper body are also very exhausted.

i'm happy to say i managed to get some figure 8 turns down. and i only crashed the kite a few times. although i managed to reverse it back up each time. :tumble:

i'm also happy to say, i never bit the dust. although i was wearing some hockey knee/shin pads, elbow pads, and helmet. overall it was an amazing experience, and i can't wait to get back out, and work on my technique.
archkiter

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dai_pie
... I also suggest you take the kite killers off it when it arrives - so if anything goes wrong you can just let go & you'll be safe, kites are easier to repair & replace than people!

I would have to disagree with you on this statement. USE YOUR KITE KILLERS! Kite killers are designed to keep those around you safe. They will also save your kite from getting away where it could get tangled in a tree, hit a car or biker, and having your lines get wrapped around something or someone. :no:

1.5m Bullet :: 3m Little Devil :: Bego 400 :: Jojo RS 6500 :: 7m Pulse :: Libre Full Race w/ Big tires :)
Oregon Beach Buggy Matrix
where i fly
coreykite

Mood: Who Moo-ed?

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 01:26 PM

KITE-KILLERS ... The Controversy.

Buggy-Brethren,

Kite killers are gimmicks that IN NO WAY should be used to replace kite skills.
They do not protect anyone.

Instead of listening to the marketing hype, use your logical mind to think it through.
What are you releasing when you let go of the handles while wearing those cuffs?
CONTROL.
You're still attached to the kite.
But you've let go of the one way you have to be responsible.

If the conditions are so extreme, what are you doing taking too big a kite out?

One doesn't just "let go" when things start going bad.
One uses the controls available.
First: Full-Reverse on the handles - This is the same effect as letting go, but you retain control. (sometimes Full-Reverse isn't enough... so...)
Second: Grab the bottoms of your handles with one hand, reach up and grab the brake lines with the other and YANK.
This inverts the kite and reverses it. (Up-side-down and back-wards)
If this still isn't the solution (sometimes it is the connection that is the problem)...
Third: LET GO.
Instead of a powered-up kite, you're releasing a falling piece of fabric.

If anyone can, please explain in practical terms how that leash really provides you anything other than a false sense of security.
And an increased risk of injury, to one's-self and others.

I believe it would be skills, not a leash, that prevents kites in trees or hitting cars or bikers.
Please explain the reasons I am wrong in this.

Safen Up! Buggy On!

"I am often wrong, but never in doubt."

the coreylama
archkiter

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 01:22 PM
kite killers

Quote:
Originally posted by coreykite
KITE-KILLERS ... The Controversy.

Buggy-Brethren,

Kite killers are gimmicks that IN NO WAY should be used to replace kite skills.
They do not protect anyone.

Instead of listening to the marketing hype, use your logical mind to think it through.
What are you releasing when you let go of the handles while wearing those cuffs?
CONTROL.
You're still attached to the kite.
But you've let go of the one way you have to be responsible.

If the conditions are so extreme, what are you doing taking too big a kite out?

One doesn't just "let go" when things start going bad.
One uses the controls available.
First: Full-Reverse on the handles - This is the same effect as letting go, but you retain control. (sometimes Full-Reverse isn't enough... so...)
Second: Grab the bottoms of your handles with one hand, reach up and grab the brake lines with the other and YANK.
This inverts the kite and reverses it. (Up-side-down and back-wards)
If this still isn't the solution (sometimes it is the connection that is the problem)...
Third: LET GO.
Instead of a powered-up kite, you're releasing a falling piece of fabric.

If anyone can, please explain in practical terms how that leash really provides you anything other than a false sense of security.
And an increased risk of injury, to one's-self and others.

I believe it would be skills, not a leash, that prevents kites in trees or hitting cars or bikers.
Please explain the reasons I am wrong in this.

Safen Up! Buggy On!

"I am often wrong, but never in doubt."

the coreylama

Not really wanting to rehash the kite killer vs. no kite killer debate. I'd just like to point out a few things that one should consider as to whether or not using kite killers is right for them.

1. Evaluate the area that you will be flying.... often times for me I am static flying at a public beach in the city where there are people, dogs, bikes, cars etc.... I want to be respectful to everyone else using the beach and only fly when there is enough room for me to fly and land the kite safely. That being said, the wind is an unpredictable beast, and although I have only had to use my kite killers twice, I would never fly without them. If I were to lose control of my kite from a major gust or a unforseen occurance (yes, one time I was sideswiped by a couple of dogs running on the beach and they knocked me off my feet) at least the kite killers would keep the kite clear of the other people, cars, trees, etc. Of course, maintaining control of your kite in the first place is the best thing that you can do but there may be a time when this is not possible. I still think that I would use KK even if I was in a field compley alone with no obstacles but then I think that it is just a matter of personal preference.

2. Consider your experience level. A newbie (which I still consider myself to be) does not have the same amout of skills that a more advance flyer has acquired from hours of experience. In a situation that one is overwhelmed with the kite or an unforseen incident, (like the dogs mentioned above) a newbie may not be able to do the steps that that you outlined above of reversing the kite and grabbing the brake line. (I won't even go into details as to why I don't like this approach as it is just personal opinion)

All I wanted to do is give flyingfish some honest advice and from anothe newbies (1 yr + of kiting) POV. In the end flyingfish needs to decide what is right for him/her.

1.5m Bullet :: 3m Little Devil :: Bego 400 :: Jojo RS 6500 :: 7m Pulse :: Libre Full Race w/ Big tires :)
where i fly
archkiter

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 01:26 PM

oops, sorry fightingfish for calling you flyingfish in the last post.

where i fly
Bill_Benson

Mood: Looking forward to DBBB

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 06:19 PM
Kite killers

Again I am going to have to agree and weigh in on the side of the use of kite-killers. Although I have never had to use them on an emergency dump I have practiced releasing them. On deployment the brake lines engage fully bringing the kite down safely. If the kite were spinning it may pull you, but I didn't feel I was in danger by releasing the handles. If the kite was dumped without the lines it could (as mentioned before) become an uncontrolled flying object that may cause potential harm to a bystander, not to mention when you dump with killers you don't get a nasty line twist.

For the newbie they could present a level of safety and comfort especially if the kite luffs, wing wraps (cravates) and then suddenly repowers.

Bill Benson
Lack-O-Slack

Mood: Domestically blissful...

[*] posted on 7-19-2005 at 07:17 PM

Greets, gang!

Having suffered one serious abduction, I learned something about gear that I'll not forget... if you have to think of doing
something in the situation, you will NEVER have time. The best solution, IMHO, is an echo to Corey's post. JUST LET GO!

The kite will not hurt anyone, and a bouncing handle might, but certainly not seriously. The kite usually just luffs out, and begins a lazy, drifty descent to the ground, moving downwind as it falls, and dragging the handles along the ground.

If you are in a buggy, you can turn downwind, follow the kite, and in one instance, I've been able to roll up to my handles, pick 'em up, and relaunch without tangle or trouble. Every time I've attempted to retain one handle, I've wound up with a mess.

Seriously, I was lifted out and up about 15 feet by a 60-mph gust, and there was absolutely no time to think of or do anything. I just held on, rode up like an elevator, and by remaining completely still, rode down gracefully to the ground again. It felt about like jumping off a low porch. Had I attempted to fly out of it, I'm sure I would have face-planted, because the downwind speed was frightening. It was all so sudden, and so startlingly benign (no jerks, no impact, no time to think of anything at all).

Just my experience, but I'm glad I didn't have anything to fool with, while hanging with my feet 10 feet above the playa! Hold still, plan your impact point, get your feet up and out in front of you, and hope it doesn't hurt too bad.

By the way, the kite was a SkyTiger Hi30... small kite, but not in 60 mph winds!

Mike \"Lack-O-Slack\" Dooley
\"Nothing is foolproof, to a sufficiently talented fool!\"
Bill_Benson

Mood: Looking forward to DBBB

[*] posted on 7-19-2005 at 08:32 PM

I agree Dooley, I wouldn't use the kite killers in a loft either. But I do think they (as I said before) are useful in a luff and sudden repower and also I have heard some people have found them of value to recover an overpowered kite. I guess meaning one of those days when you suddenly realize you put up way too much kite for the conditions and don't want even to move it from nuetral is it will power up.

Bill Benson

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio