Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need Help Making a Decision on My Kite... Please...
Caz

sad.gif posted on 4-25-2005 at 03:43 AM
Need Help Making a Decision on My Kite... Please...

.. Please help.. I've caught the kite bug after watching and briefly trying my friends Flexifoil Skytiger 26... ssdly we're not friends anymore (his fault not mine :( ) Anyhow, I really want to purchase my own kite but I'm unsure of the type to buy.

I spent hours yesterday reading all about the different sorts and pricing them up. I spent loads of time reading through different views on this forum also but I'm still a little confused of which one to go for.

I'm pretty new to this but I'm not easily scared and quite daring so I would like something that's a wee challenge to master but not something that's going to quickly lose appeal.

I'd want something to scud and maybe try jumping :) that looked so much fun. But i'm not looking for buggying or anything like that right now.

So... I've seen a lot of references to Blade III's and Bullets but from the messages I get the impression to avoid the bullets as they don't give as much lift. Then... I've seen Symphonies listed quite a number of times and I was looking at a Symphony 2.7.... is this a good kite for what I'm wanting? The other type I saw mentioned were the Beamers, but quite a few people said they were dissapointed with the power? Finally... I've seen one called an HQ Rush.. and wondered if this would be any good.

I don't really have anyone to share this stuff with so if anyone out there could help me make a decision I'd be sooooo grateful!! :)

oo - I'm terms of budget... I have up to just over £200 to spend but I'm worried about spending too much for something that doesn't suit.... that's where you lot come in.... please help??? :)
kchunks

Mood: If I complained I would be out of line.

[*] posted on 4-25-2005 at 06:34 AM

Well, definitely get a kite with 4 lines. Blades are good for jumping and the 4.9 seems to be the most popular size. However, it would be a horrible kite to start with as the Blade is very agressive and the 4.9 is big. Starting smaller would be better, but jumping with a small kite isn't necessarily a good idea either. You need a lot of wind to get you up, and the ground come at you rather quickly with a small foil. I would recommend starting with a smaller "budget" kite and learn with that before you get into something like a large blade.
Caz

[*] posted on 4-25-2005 at 06:47 AM

ok... thanks so much for that...... what about a Beamer?

They're doing great deals on Beamer I 3.6's right now or for a little more I could get a Beamer II 2.5.. I'm ashamed to say I don't know the difference between the I's and II's... is there a great deal of difference and which do you think I should go for, if I'm not going for a blade or a symphony?

In advance.... thanks for your help!!! I can't wait to get my own kite and can't wait to start flying :)
RMV

Mood: always good

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 12:29 AM

Hello Caz,
I just read that Rougham is going to have a kite festival mid May, a little patience and planing will go a long way. Go to such festival, have some money in your pocket, try a lot of different kites, talk to a lot of people about that you want to do............then ...................go for it.
Your local kite shop will not only gladly guide you thru the learning process but will also be a rich source of info for you, in order mainly to avoid mistakes and, directly or indirectly, accidents.
Enjoy and welcome to the club.
DaveH

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 07:22 AM

Caz,
I started with a Beamer 3.6 and love it! So much so that I bought the 5m for light wind days. However, if this is your fist kite I would strongly recommend getting the 2.5 The 3.6 can develop enough pull to get a beginner in trouble in a hurry. Once you're comfortable with how and where in the window power is made, plus get a feel for what winds are appropriate, the 3.6 is just an easy, fun kite. But until then, you might eat some dirt.
Dave
Caz

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 07:53 AM

Thanks so much for your advice guys, I really appreciate it :)

I also got some advice from racekites.com and after that I kinda got a wee bit overenthusiastic and ended up ordering my first kite... I ordered the 3.6 beamer II which comes with kite killers.

I'm reading all I can about kite handling and I'm being totally respectful.... I am expecting to eat a fair amount of dirt but I'm thinking that it'll be worth it for the amount of fun there's to be had!!
;)
DaveH

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 11:28 AM

Caz,
It sure will be worth it. I had a rough day at work yesterday so whe I got off i headed to the park with my 3.6. After about an hour of just flying it, feeling a bit of pull, I felt great. I couldn't really focus on what I was mad about anymore. I can't wait 'til the 5m gets here. Maybe tonight!
Dave
DaveH

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 02:17 PM

Caz,
My 5m came last week. It has kite killers which work great! If you think you're getting overpowered you just let go. end of problem!
Caz

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 02:32 AM

Hi Dave,

Glad you had fun with you're new arrival :) I've kite killers with mine but it's still in it's rucksack :( I've had to work all weekend and the bank holiday :( :(

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio