Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NAPKRA unable to obtain insurance!!!
bison

[*] posted on 24-2-2009 at 09:07 AM
NAPKRA unable to obtain insurance!!!

With heavy heart, I must report, that North American Parakart Racing Association (NAPKRA) will need to be scaled back somewhat. We had many plans but circumstances have dictated that the scope of this organization has to be reduced a little. The inability to obtain insurance hampers the club’s ability to use all land that requires a permit, such as Ivanpah and other areas. We will still be able to provide training, safety, and racing material and still run races or training sessions. Unfortunately, we will not be able to use some of the more popular buggy areas.

Currently, the insurance company prohibits coverage of any kite powered vehicle, boat, board, etc… The new application contains this statement: “NEW EXCLUSION IN 2009: Any claim that results from kites as propulsion shall be excluded.” This is directly due to the national media coverage of at least one severe kite injury. I am of course referring to the kiter that just had to fly in a hurricane, and in doing so ended up in the hospital and on national television. This single act and subsequent media attention has prevented the kiting world from obtaining the necessary insurance to use most public land, such as Ivanpah. This is a huge blow to our sport and to other related.

I am personally angered that one thoughtless individual has affected so many others with their actions. Through no fault of our own we have been relegated to second class citizens not worthy of using public land. The fact that we as a group choose to hide in the shadows and hope that no one would notice us obviously didn’t work so well. Instead we let a single individual define us for many years to come.

Richard Ridgeway
VP of NAPKRA

Buggy Bison
WolfWolfee

Mood: Blessed with Wind

[*] posted on 24-2-2009 at 05:11 PM

This is a very sad state of affairs, I know I worked hard trying to get something off the ground in Canada and ran into the same problem. Insurance killed the event, sad but true.

3M Legend
4.9M Reactor
9.5M Sabre
16M Scorpion
18M Guerilla
Flexi Bug & 661 Armor & Giro Helmet

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio