Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Amelia Island meet up
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 09:08 AM

ok , just some details i would say you could get rollin about 3pm on pack sand and run til dark if wind is good and would only get better 4-6pm could be nice .

a rising tide in the am with 15mph+ would make a nice ride on the water til the turn
dependent on wind direction.

we ride in a similiar current spot here all the time with fast movement

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
tridude

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 06:15 AM

thought Id say have a great weekend before you all depart and dont forget your cameras..........................safe journey:lol::duh::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
acampbell

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 06:58 AM

Depending who you listen to, West or Southwest winds, 15-20 kts. Wohooo. looks like no trees to the west at the park to make the winds too lumpy coming over land. Is that so, Bobby.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acampbell
Depending who you listen to, West or Southwest winds, 15-20 kts. Wohooo. looks like no trees to the west at the park to make the winds too lumpy coming over land. Is that so, Bobby.

There are trees in the park, but they decrease in height closer to the beach. I think we would be ok with westerlies and that would let us run the waterline. Between the state park pier and the business district, I remember somewhat of a dune and then houses but can't remember how big the dune is. I think we will have more fun with whatever we get from the west than wind from the south or North.

Windmapper is showing 20 mph at 10 am decreasing to 12 in the evening. That wind looks westerly enough to diminish the impact of the tides. I'm bringing a drysuit and I'm not afraid to use it either. In the buggy that is. I shouldn't cut my teeth on water riding with a straight offshore. I'd probably find a nuclear sub before I'd reach land somewhere.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 08:07 AM

I count a little over 2 miles of wide beach with only scrubby trees and the houses to the west.

Landsegler Disc wheels
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 09:21 AM

We will arrive at the Fort Clinch campground tomorrow night, so we will hit the beach right after breakfast. I think it will be easier on us to just do the short walk around the corner and under the pier to get to the main beach just south of the pier at Fort Clinch. You would have a shorter walk if you park at the pier itself and then head straight out. Look at it on google maps to familiarize yourself with the lay of the land if you get a chance.

Here is a google map of the area. Chris and I will have our campers in the loop at the top of the map. There is a nice paved lot at the pier with a boardwalk straight out to where I'm envisioning playing. The beach I'm planning on playing at should be big enough even at high tide to play on especially with an offshore wind. That would be fun to hit the beach first thing before the tide comes in. Windmapper is calling for a SW 14 mph at 7am.

google map of Fort Clinch state park area

Landsegler Disc wheels
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
mgatc

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 01:27 PM

Sorry We'll miss this one. Have a blast!

mgatc & madkiterboy

HQ: Scout 3m, Neo 11m, Neo 8m
PL: Scorpion 10m
Cabrinha: 12m Switchblade, 16m Crossbow
SU-2 Bigfoot, Liquid Force Proof 151, Klein 145
MBS Comp 90 Landboard
Flexifoil Buggy
Mystic Waist/Seat Harness
2 DIY Plyboards
johnnylaing

[*] posted on 2-13-2009 at 08:31 PM

1) BeamerBob and family Friday night late till midday Tuesday.
2) Pokitetrash and family Friday afternoon till midday Sunday.
3) Acampbell
4) johnnylaing
5) Phreerider and family Saturday through Monday
6) Peter Boynton

I know me, Angus and Peter are coming...we still have everyone else?? Any more??

Peter Lynn Comp XR+
3.5 Blurr
4.7 Rage
Ozone Access XC harness
Stoke
tridude

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 09:22 AM

anyone back? If so how did tides/wind cooperate?:lol::duh::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
acampbell

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 10:43 AM

We got chased off the beach by light rain yesterday about 3pm.

Turns out Ft. Clinch State Park is a non-starter for any wheeled vehicles on the beach- powered or un-powered. This all came down when I pulled up to the toll station and the Ranger saw the buggy on the back of my trailer and said."You aren't planning of using that here are you?...."

Oh and no kiteboarding allowed either. No kites that can lift you....

Short story is that we ended up on the public city beach next to Ft. Clinch beach and it was much more convenient and accessible - except for a few more pedestrians. Wind was SW, on again off again 2-9 mph. Chad launched his Venom 15m and I launched my Synergy 15m and we both were made to work hard to launch and keep in the sky. Wexler had some good runs on the landboard with the Montana IV 9.5, but he too had to work hard in the lulls.

Watching the sky for a local run later today....

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

tridude

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 11:32 AM

improvise, adapt, and over come.............gotta do what ya gotta do....................Did BB and Pokite get any ripstop airborn? With 2 to 9mph winds, BB should have had a blast on the 9.66 Quad...............Early dayz I know but what did you think of the Syns low end? Did your 10.6 Reactor make it out of the bag? :cool::lol::duh::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
acampbell

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 11:43 AM

BB had the 7m Blurr and I'm not sure if PoKite got up before the weather went to crap. I just had a chance to Launch the Syn.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

PHREERIDER

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 04:28 PM

that was Phantom 15m

wind was off shore and very challenging, too crowded with people and the tide thing just made it very tight.

nice to me some new folks and nice little camp spot WITH HOT SHOWERS

too bad the wind wasn't so good

TODAY (sunday) just finished a nice water session 15-20MPH most of the afternoon at home. hope the guys down there got piece of the breeze ENE should have nice for them

bob and chris thanks for spot hookup

acampbell

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 06:02 PM

Yeah, sorry, Phanny. but it had a zipper.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

pokitetrash

Mood: Happier than Richard Simmons with a wheelbarrow full of ding dongs!!

[*] posted on 2-16-2009 at 07:19 AM

I got home from Amelia last night, but I didn't fly on Saturday. I got out there just in time to see BeamerBob wringing out his kite from an ocean dunk, working the sand out and then it started to rain so I went home with dry stuff to wait for Sunday. Sunday wind was right down the beach which was high tide when I got there with BB and we worked ourselves to death trying to get upwind in the narrow beach and flew static more than anything until we bailed to wait for low tide. I had to leave for home but Bobby has some fun news he'll share I'm sure. I'll go back again, and hope the wind direction cooperates.

Ozone Cult 2.5
Ozone Cult 4.5
Rev 1.5
Stainless BloKart with 5.5 sail

NAPKA #41

My Kiting Pics
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 06:37 AM

Well, we're back as well. It was a fun trip because, well, it wasn't work and it was Florida. The wind seemed to blow the entire time. The issue of them not letting us buggy in the state park was a real downer. Amelia island has two beaches at almost 90 degrees to each other so between the 2, you could really buggy with almost any wind direction. After the ranger saw Angus' buggy and said he "thinks there is a rule against that" and "it may be a park rule" but he's not sure, we had to take a second best beach (for wind angle)with wind shadows and more people. Then came the rain. So Saturday was mostly a washout. Still got to see old friends and meet some new ones, Peter and Johnny, so that is always good. I should've manned up and gotten out the XXXL on loan from tridude but the gusts were a little more than I wanted for my first buggy ride with it. It would've been perfect for flying close to the water with an offshore wind.

Landsegler Disc wheels
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 07:06 AM

So on Sunday, Pokite and I tried to make something with side shore winds, high tide, and soft sand above the water line, I had had enough. Phreerider gave me some inspiration for a night run. I grilled dinner for the family, ate and then headed out onto the forbidden beach. The moon doesn't rise till 1 am so no help there. There is some kind of mfg plant to the west with lots of lights and they sent a glow in the sky. The wind was dead on shore and about 8-10 mph. I took the Blurr and the Reactor and decided the Blurr was the choice. Of course there were a few twists in my lines but heck, I've seen that enough I could fix that in the dark and got it taken care of. Then the angels sang. I had a half mile of beach and not another soul in sight. I had the glow in the sky to my SW with my kite in silhouette, but it wasn't visible to anyone back in the park so I had the beach to myself and no one could even tell I was there. I made a slow pass to make sure there weren't any pedestrians or flotsam to avoid and then pulled the kite down low for 20-25 runs up and down the beach. This was a first for me. I had been able to do a downwinder/upwind slog at Jekyll Island at JIBE last fall but this was easy running both directions. The beach is arc shaped so I had a burst of speed at the end of each run, but I didn't really feel like I was running upwind when I turned around. I had no concept of my speed other than the dunes slipping by in the glow from the sky, but I imagine I was running around 20 mph. It was really cool slipping through the dark like that under the power of the wind and with such smooth consistent winds. I could park the kite about 20 feet off the ground and go the whole length of the beach. After an hour or more of constant buggying, the wind dropped enough that I really slowed down and packed things up. I know it was irresponsible to risk getting in trouble with the authorities but the ruling wasn't definitive and there was little observation by the rangers during the day and they close shop at 5:00 so all went well. Now, I want to talk to the Ranger in charge of the park to see if I can get some relief on this sort of ruling that maybe we can't buggy there. I'll keep my progress posted here.

Landsegler Disc wheels
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
PHREERIDER

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 07:31 AM

OH yeah that 's what i 'm talking about ! BOB! shanghai a night ride

take a ride on the dark side... nice

get it while the getting is good

sleep...... way over rated

pokitetrash

Mood: Happier than Richard Simmons with a wheelbarrow full of ding dongs!!

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 11:55 AM

Beamer, you're such a maverik!

Ozone Cult 2.5
Ozone Cult 4.5
Rev 1.5
Stainless BloKart with 5.5 sail

NAPKA #41

My Kiting Pics
kitesurfer

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 01:06 PM

you should have asked the park ranger for the rules (nothing in writing). flying a big kite is not against the rules at fla state parks. i have flown at big talbot island state park kitesurfing and there is no problem at all. the first time the rangers saw one, they questioned it but evidently found out all the rest of the parks in fla allow it so they have to also. as for the wheel issue...destroying vegitation i guess. i hate to say i told you so...but HUGENOT IS THE SPOT! I didn't attempt anything over the weekend because of the rain but yesterday was sunny and the wind was 20mph NE with some +'es. the water is still cold though. i'm heading to panama city this weekend.

Charger 12/15, Flysurfer
Speed3, 21, GLIDE, MAKO KING, UNDERGROUND FLX134,
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio