Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Random Assistants?
Blitzhound

Mood: I got a sickness, and the only cure is more Buggyin!

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 10:33 AM
Random Assistants?

So...I wanted to bring up the topic of random people wanting to help with your kites and how you deal with them. Normally it's not much of an issue. I try to be friendly and polite. I don't mind answering questions at all. In fact I enjoy talking to people that approach me about the kites and/or buggy. But once in awhile I get someone that wants to help me launch a kite. Usually I simply tell them I am capable of launching it unassisted and that for their safety to just stand clear. Preferably behind me and most people are good with that and will either continue on there way or stand aside to watch me launch. But the other day I had a gentleman offer to help but was rather rude and insistent. My wind was slowly dying. I was flying a 4.5m Century in light winds. I messed up on the turn and let the lines go slack. The kite falls to the ground. As I'm getting out of the buggy to relaunch someone from behind me says. "Do you need help? Do you even know what you're doing?" I say yeah I think so. I messed up on my turn and lost the tension in the lines. He says do you want me to go launch it for you. I told him no I can do it and I didn't want him to get hurt. He says "I kiteboard, I know what I'm doing. It's not much bigger than my trainer kite." I say this is nothing like your trainer and I'd rather just figure it out on my own. He seemed offended and continued to insist that he could help me and even give me lessons on how to fly my kite. I think I managed to maintain my politeness and he finally left. But obviously offended and butt hurt. The question I pose is how would you handle this situation. I am not a people person. In fact I hate people for the most part. I don't socialize, I have very few friends, and I in general don't play well with others. But since I got into kiting I have been trying. I've been trying to go the extra mile and be friendly. I want the sport to grow and as I get older I find it would be nice to have a friend or two. I understand he was just trying to help. I was trying not to offend him but clearly failed. Please help a socially inept person understand how to deal with people like this. I want this sport to grow, I want people to take interest, I want them to ask questions. But I don't feel like I know how to handle some of the tougher situations like this. I work in an Engineroom on a ship there is only 6 of us. I usually work alone. When I do work with the others. I'm the commanding officer. You do what I tell you. That's about the extent of my social skills. Haha.

NAPKA US541
HQ: Beamer V 5.0m,
Best: Bularoo 7m, Waroo 9m, 12m
PKD: Inferno 9m, 12m, 16.5m,
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
Buggies: GT-Revolt, GT-RazR,
WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 11:57 AM

LOL. Kindred souls for sure.My wife says kiting turned me into a social butterfly.LOL. More like a social butthole.

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

jimbocz

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 12:08 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself. Social interactions are tough and not all of them are going to go perfectly. He was probably super excited to see you buggying and wanted to help and be greeted like a kite brother. You didn't know him from Adam and just wanted him to stay away. He tried to to explain that he knows about kites but it came out awkwardly, as we've all done. He probably didn't even walk away angry at you, just frustrated that the interaction didn't go well when he loves kiting as well. He probably knew there was no ill will on your part.

I don't know how much experience you have flying LEI or with kitesurfing, but in the world of LEI self launching is more difficult and it's far more common to help people launch and land. That might have been where he was coming from.

That kind of stuff happens to everyone all the time. Sounds like you are perfectly normal and do more than your part to not make kiters look like jerks.
jimbocz

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 12:13 PM

My worst nightmare is people who want to watch me launch but insist on standing in exactly the wrong place. I sit there waiting for them to move and they stand there slack jawed waiting for me to do something. Finally I wave for them to move and they immediately start the "Who do you think you are? You can't tell me where to stand!"
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 12:46 PM

1. Practice your RBF (Resting B|tch Face).

2. Culitivate your ability to display "Crazy Eyes" on command.

3. Take a friend named Harvey flying with you.

4. Memorize and practice the delivery of your 10 second elevator speech.

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
bobalooie57

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 01:36 PM

:evil: I always love Sam's advice! Also what Jimbo said. A lot of water kiters expect to help launch, just being like Jimbo said. In fact, if you ever see one patting himself on the head, he wants you to help land! The most frustrating is when you have good advice and help to offer someone, but they reject your help.

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 01:57 PM

No offense to kite surfers, ...but it has been my experience that the average joe kite surfer more often than not, being very unfamiliar with land based traction kiting, think they know everything about kiting and/or that kite surfers are the inventors of tractioned based kite sports. (This is indeed not the case.).... my point being, that most of them really don't understand the difference between depower and FB kites, since a good majority of them (in the US I mean) only kite surf and therefore only fly depowerable kites. So in his eyes he probably thought that you were flying too small a kite for the wind. Most of the kite surfers I've met on the beach feign any interested in my stuff, ... maybe they think they're too cool for it, I don't know. I'm not intending to cast an ugly light on them, but it has been my experience.

Am I the only one who has experienced this, or think this way?

My answer would be "Thanks but no, I do indeed know what I'm doing. (and) it may be a similar size to your trainer, but it is vastly more powerful. I appreciate the offer but I've got it.... thanks."

I'm going to take a nap now
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 02:22 PM

1st world pblm...do what i do relax and have a beer...by yourself

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
ssayre

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 04:09 PM

That's funny s h i t blitz. Stop being an a$shole and let another kiter help you once in awhile. :D

I'm in sales so being social is very natural for me.
WELDNGOD

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 06:31 PM

I love it when I set up and the kitesurfers are already there. I get out my little bitty 2.whatever and get the buggy ready.They have their enormous air mattresses out and in the air. Then I launch ,scud 20+ ft. ,jump in the buggy . And the look on their face is priceless ,as I'm gone! LOL.....trainer kite .... LOL :D They think all small FBs are "trainers",I got a few that would "teach" them a thing or two. LOL Now most of the local kitesurfers know me ,and they know when I show up ,I'm all about it.:cool:

WELDNGOD on VIMEO

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

Blitzhound

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 09:48 PM

Ssayer:
Haha! I'm assuming sarcasm. But we all know what assuming does!
Abkayak:
I make my own beer. I hate drinking in bars. Other people assume you want to socialize. I'm only interested in the beer and the brewmasters take on a givin style. I suppose your right. I should have handed him the handles, sat him in the buggy and said show me the way master yoda! I may have learned something. Like what not to do with a power kite and buggy. LoL!!!! Like hand a stranger the handles and my ride! I don't have any kiteboarding experience. So I have no idea what proper etiquette in that world is. I do have several LEI's. I also know that a Best Waroo and ana a PKD Century are in two different worlds. But that is exactly my point and question. I know he was only trying to help. And I simply didn't want to get anyone hurt. Including their feelings. How do you deal with this without coming across as a dick. I don't mind being an #@%$#!. Most of the time it's a point of pride. But when it comes to kiting sports I'm trying to be more personable.

NAPKA US541
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
jimbocz

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 03:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
No offense to kite surfers, ...but it has been my experience that the average joe kite surfer more often than not, being very unfamiliar with land based traction kiting, think they know everything about kiting and/or that kite surfers are the inventors of tractioned based kite sports. (This is indeed not the case.).... my point being, that most of them really don't understand the difference between depower and FB kites, since a good majority of them (in the US I mean) only kite surf and therefore only fly depowerable kites. So in his eyes he probably thought that you were flying too small a kite for the wind. Most of the kite surfers I've met on the beach feign any interested in my stuff, ... maybe they think they're too cool for it, I don't know. I'm not intending to cast an ugly light on them, but it has been my experience.

Am I the only one who has experienced this, or think this way?

My answer would be "Thanks but no, I do indeed know what I'm doing. (and) it may be a similar size to your trainer, but it is vastly more powerful. I appreciate the offer but I've got it.... thanks."

Where I usually fly there are a lot of heavy race buggys doing speed runs up and down the beach, often flying the same kites as the kitesurfers. It helps them give us a little respect when they've got to look out when exiting the water so they don't get run over.

I do get that attitude sometimes, that I am only buggying until I learn enough to get out in the water.
WELDNGOD

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 05:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jimbocz  

I do get that attitude sometimes, that I am only buggying until I learn enough to get out in the water.

That is when you break out the TRAMPA landboard and tell them when they get bigger they can ride on the hard stuff too! :P

WELDNGOD on VIMEO

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 06:10 AM

i love beer...and kites, honestly kites 1st, beer a close 2nd
know deep down most of the water guys fear land...to them it's the worst place to be
so w/ that theirs intrigue
Cheers!!

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
Randy

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 07:15 AM

Kitesurfers are pretty much like anyone else - some are really great people, others not so much. Usually anyone who comes up to you and asks you if you know what you are doing and says he knows what he is doing, probably has a lot more problems than you do. I'd say write if off as meeting some random a-hole. If he wasn't telling you something, he might well be blaring his horn at the car in front of him and giving them the finger.

Anyway, if you want to get rid of someone - put them to work, holding your kite something like that. Try to make the process as boring as possible. They will leave as soon as they can. :evil:

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Ed Cline

Mood: Truth, Justice, and The American Way.

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 12:35 AM

I hate shouting across a field, If they're on my end of the lines I tell them I'm trying to learn to fly singlehanded. If they're on the kite end I try waving them off, if they don't get it I set down the handles and offer my best Marine Corp. hand salute at attention. 15 seconds is usually enough.

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
Dayhiker

Mood: "I live back in the woods, you see... A woman & the kids, & the dogs & me" Bocephus

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 04:11 AM

About half my flying is with Revolution Sportwings. I live in the rural inland mountains of Virginia & rarely even see another person while flying in mostly hay fields. SHBKF, solo hill billie kite flailer, that's me. A couple times of year I get to fly at the coast in tourist beach destinations. The interaction with random strangers goes from one extreme to the other.

One day a few years ago I had perfect conditions, low tide, warm day, steady lab grade winds & few beach strollers. It was a memorable time as I flew the best I had ever flown up to that point. I did impressive ground side slides. killer dive stops, alternating tip stands, danced above the waves dipping down between them, Spent some time flying in & out of a trash can. Landed on every object available & chased a few seagulls. When you touch down a bunch people think you are having trouble keeping it in the air. I guess only Rev fliers really are impressed by these silly antics. A lady walked up to me & said with all sincerity "Keep trying, you will get the hang of it."

A couple years later I was helping someone learn to fly their new Rev. They had seen me flying mine & asked for a few pointers. After helping the new flier learn to launch & land successfully I took the handles to give his kite a go. Flew for a bit & really enjoyed myself. A spectator walked up & said, "Man, I am really amazed at how you flew that kite. Are you the inventor?" I told him no, but I was about to get the hang of it.
Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 12:53 PM

I have had similar situations with one or two of the local kiteboarders here. One time one of them made a comment comparing my Reactor to a trainer. I called him over and offered him to give my kite a shot. The wind was blowing in the high teens or low twenties and I was flying my 5.5m R2013. The kiteboarders all were on 9-13m kites. I asked the guy if he wanted to try it on the strop or just strongarm it, and he was like, "I got this." You should have seen his eyes get big when he hot launched my "little" 5.5m and went for a ride 30 ft down wind. That was one of the most satisfying kiting moments I have ever had. Now they all know me and I am frequently answering texts and emails from local water kiters about buggy stuff and land kiting. The guy that runs the local Chicago kite surf shop calls me his expert land kiter and asks my advice on what kites to use for buggies and trainers. I got him to switch from 2 and 3 line trainers and buy a quiver of Peaks for his lessons now.

As for regular citizens, I am always friendly and answer questions, but politely decline help from anyone when it comes to another person touching my gear unless it is a local kiter I know. I have seen a few "kiters" here that are actually learners in disguise that own an Ebay special and think that they know things now. There is a local guy I met on the beach here who just bought an LEI and offered me to fly it. I flew it for a few minutes and took it for a ride down the beach and back a couple times on the buggy before landing it and handing it to him. I instantly realized he had never flown a traction kite at all before because as soon as I launched him, he was using the bar like a steering wheel and jerked the bar in when the kite started pulling. He looked like Superman and crashed the kite, but he and the kite were fine. I ran up to him, popped his safety and told him to pay for lessons and come back when he had a few lessons from a professional trainer.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
acampbell

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 3-29-2017 at 07:21 AM

Our dear late friend Don Leech (TriDude here) loved stuff like this. He would tell stories about launching an ARC on Sullivan's Island, SC among a bunch of LEI riders, then tie it off to a fence post while at auto-zenith and leave for lunch. It would generate a lot of WTF moments and stuff like "you just can't leave it there...". He liked to just walk away...

My other favorite story is about Don going out to the sand bar to buggy. He would body-drag to the sand bar with the kite overhead and towing his Bigfoot buggy behind, floating on its wheels. Lots of WTF's from other tube riders.

Miss you Don...

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 3-29-2017 at 09:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by acampbell  
Our dear late friend Don Leech (TriDude here) loved stuff like this. He would tell stories about launching an ARC on Sullivan's Island, SC among a bunch of LEI riders, then tie it off to a fence post while at auto-zenith and leave for lunch. It would generate a lot of WTF moments and stuff like "you just can't leave it there...". He liked to just walk away...

My other favorite story is about Don going out to the sand bar to buggy. He would body-drag to the sand bar with the kite overhead and towing his Bigfoot buggy behind, floating on its wheels. Lots of WTF's from other tube riders.

Miss you Don...

:thumbup: nice! I like it!

NAPKA US541

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio