Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: snow blade question
ssayre

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 08:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by yeti  
Yikes. Snow blades with non-release bindings would not be my first choice for equipment - but as along as you keep the speed down you'll be ok. 10 years ago when they were sort of a fad at the ski hills I remember trying a set and thinking how quick they go from agile to unstable. Just don't get into a wipeout where you torque your knees on those things. They should be a lot of fun otherwise.

I tried kiting on hockey skates last year. I imagine the feeling would be similar. You'll feel like you can go a lot faster than you have any business going.

Thanks for the advice yeti! I will definitely keep my speed down. I can't really even ski yet. If it seems like something I will like and can do. I'll pick up a set of regular skis. I plan on taking it very easy especially with all the advice to not go fast on this set up. I'll keep it on the underpowered side.
rectifier

Mood: Shredding

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:31 PM

Took my blades out for a very, very underpowered session today. 4kph winds but a beautiful day, I really wanted to kite so I grabbed them for the first time this year. Got in about an hour of hard work with the kite, not much work with the legs.

Couple reasons I like them in low wind. They always feel like they have less friction to break to get moving. If you need to step upwind to get the kite back up in very low wind, I find it much easier than full length skis! Also, as a guy who grew up snowboarding, I always have to focus on my skis and where they are. When the flying conditions are tough, I can focus on the kite and mostly ignore the blades, as they track my feet much more instinctively.

Finally in low wind I'm usually not going for big runs, just messing around in a small area, and they turn on a dime. Probably the most fun you can have in low wind (unless you have huge kites of course!)

Homebuilt: 1m NPW9b, 2.6m NPW21, 7m NPW21 UDS
HQ: 3.2m Crossfire, 5m + 7m Apex 3
6m Ozone Explore v2
Kiteflyer933

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 10:14 PM

Yes any ski boots will fit in....it looks in great shape on pics...I bought mine brand new at the local sports store for $99(firefly) years ago....more than 10 yrs. ago....yet nothing has change in the style....well used and still using it on packed snow surfaces......it was my first ski.....easy to learn and very durable....fun to use in downhill ski resorts...can do hockey braking on it.

Kites:
HQ Matrixx - 9m
HQ Montana 4 - 9.5m
HQ Hydra 2 - 3.5m
Pansh Adam - 5.5m
old Stunt Kite

Toys:
downhill Skis
Ski blades
Jetski (2010 Seadoo GTX); for windless days

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top