Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: There's only one first time - what was yours like?
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

question.gif posted on 11-30-2015 at 06:06 AM
There's only one first time - what was yours like?

As the title of this thread says, there can only be one first time for snowkiting or any other kiting event. I thought it would be fun to hear about folS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s first time. Was it special? Memorable is some certain way? Please have at it.

I had my first long awaited snowkiting session yesterday. Being new to the mobile aspects of power kiting this year I've been looking forward to this day all year. We finally have (barely) enough snow to pull off a session on grass fields and I had the combination of a free weekend afternoon and some decent light winds (sub 10 mph); perfect for my first go.

All I can say is WOW! As you can see in the video attached here I slung up Session Saver (my affectionate name for my 12m Peak2) and ripped back and forth on some athletic fields behind our town's middle school.

Now, I really like buggying, but snowkiting? WAY better. As anyone who's done it knows you are directly involved in a way that just doesn't happen in the buggy. I found myself laughing out loud like a little kid (and that's a good thing!). The most fun I had was holding the bar with one hand, channeling my inner Bode, and skimming my opposite hand and hip along the snow. More fun than I was supposed to be able to have.

Do you think I'm hooked? Yup. :ninja:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 06:22 AM

That's awesome Steve. I figured you would take to it very easily with your ski experience. I've got to find a set of skis this year.
RedSky

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 06:40 AM

Nice. You'll be hitting the slopes next. I'm sure that would be a whole new level.
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 07:28 AM

Steve, as a skier you can really appreciate how well a kite can offer an unbelievable skiing experience. All my old skiing friends, at least those who haven't followed me into kite powered skiing, all think that I have given up skiing because they don't see me on the hills anymore. When the exact opposite is happening and I ski more in a day than most people get in a whole season.

I suspect there are some buggy guys that would take issue with your position.:P It all comes down to what you are most comfortable with. But it's true, you can get away with a lot more on skis than pretty much anything else pulled by a kite. But you have to be an accomplished skier first.
;)

You are going to be amazed at what you can ski through with a kite. Conditions that you would find unrideable on the slopes become nothing on a kite.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 09:57 AM

I saw this day coming!

Also growing up with a skate / ski background going at this sport with 2 feet came naturally. You put in your time to master the kite and this is your reward!

I struggled for over a year trying to get going on water with a board and ZERO board skills at that point. Out of frustration I went out with my rollerblades and trainer kite + every pad I owned. Didn't need the pads. Took to kiting with blades like a duck to water. Never fell and never worried about going upwind. I was ready to give up before my break through! I posted what I was doing online and found out about the land kiting community. I never looked back. + felt Hella better about myself!

I always enjoy a buggy day but a good snow day is my AOXO !

I like the topic. What was your 1st time stoke like?

[ Wow I can say Hella on here! :smug: ]

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 10:35 AM

I've only gotten the smallest of tastes but I can sense where some of the stoke will be and I'm pretty excited about it. Tomorrow I'm getting a UPS delivery of a pair of skis that should really fit the bill for kiting. Dynastar Speed DH FIS World Cup WC 218 R20s. New at about 80% off MSRP. I missed our big local ski swap a couple of weekends ago as we were in Oregon visiting our son in college which is where I would have probably had the pick of a bunch of old long skinnys. I've got this Dynastar ski in a 178cm length with a GS sidecut and really like it for running gates (its my race ski). A DH sidecut at 218cm should be perfect for kiting when it's not soft and deep (which it will hopefully be a lot).

I skied yesterday with a pair of 184cm Volkl Mantras. They were fine, but I can see why you recommend a longer ski with minimal sidecut for that long endless carve.

I hope your season comes together quickly in NH! :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by Feyd  
Steve, as a skier you can really appreciate how well a kite can offer an unbelievable skiing experience. All my old skiing friends, at least those who haven't followed me into kite powered skiing, all think that I have given up skiing because they don't see me on the hills anymore. When the exact opposite is happening and I ski more in a day than most people get in a whole season.

I suspect there are some buggy guys that would take issue with your position.:P It all comes down to what you are most comfortable with. But it's true, you can get away with a lot more on skis than pretty much anything else pulled by a kite. But you have to be an accomplished skier first.
;)

You are going to be amazed at what you can ski through with a kite. Conditions that you would find unrideable on the slopes become nothing on a kite.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 10:39 AM

Thanks Blade! Really nice to hear about your MOMENT on roller blades. It is pretty darn cool standing up with my legs under me!

My first kite session with wheels under my feet will likely be next Spring's IBX. I think I'll take every pad I own to that event too! Maybe even some bubble wrap for good measure. :D

Hopefully my first wheeled adventure will feature as much unneeded pads as yours did!

Quote: Originally posted by Bladerunner  
I saw this day coming!

Also growing up with a skate / ski background going at this sport with 2 feet came naturally. You put in your time to master the kite and this is your reward!

I struggled for over a year trying to get going on water with a board and ZERO board skills at that point. Out of frustration I went out with my rollerblades and trainer kite + every pad I owned. Didn't need the pads. Took to kiting with blades like a duck to water. Never fell and never worried about going upwind. I was ready to give up before my break through! I posted what I was doing online and found out about the land kiting community. I never looked back. + felt Hella better about myself!

I always enjoy a buggy day but a good snow day is my AOXO !

I like the topic. What was your 1st time stoke like?

[ Wow I can say Hella on here! :smug: ]

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 08:43 PM

So awesome you finally got out on the skis:thumbup: I could feel the stoke from here:D In my book there is nothing more magical than cruising the snow or ice on skis hooked to a kite. It's what I wait for all year. Yes buggy is fun, but doesn't come close to the magic I find in empty untracked snow covered lakes.

I will never forget my first taste of kite skiing. Mind you it was with an HQ beamer and a less than ideal pair of skis, but it was the moment everything came together and gave me that stoke, that sense of freedom. I've never bought a lift ticket since that day. Wait till you get on some ice with miles to run and feel that speed under your feet. Oooweee!

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 03:57 AM

Way to go Cheddar! Nice post. Cool beans that you haven't bought a lift ticket since the day you locked into snowkiting. If you don't already do so you ought to buy something from Chris at Hardwaterkiter.com if nothing else for his awesome little sticker of the stick figure on the chairlift with the red circle with a line through it (same as his PKF avatar). You need that for your kitemobile!

I'm not able or willing to hang up my season pass as I do a lot of skiing with my wife and daughter here in town. Cool concept though and I'm happy for you that this works so well for you.

There are several lakes within an hour capture radius of my home that folks do winter activities on so they are potentially on the table as options. If I can avoid being on ice I will for the safety factor. In the Wasatch Mountains there are vast open spaces covered with few trees but a seemingly infinite amount of sagebrush. Once the settled snowpack gets over about 3-4 feet deep all the sagebrush get covered up and the terrain for snowkiting expands exponentially. I actually have a ton of open space right out in front of our home that has really been tempting me, but believe it or not it may be problematic because of a herd of some 300 elk that also call this space home all winter. First world problem! :rolleyes:

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddarhead  
So awesome you finally got out on the skis:thumbup: I could feel the stoke from here:D In my book there is nothing more magical than cruising the snow or ice on skis hooked to a kite. It's what I wait for all year. Yes buggy is fun, but doesn't come close to the magic I find in empty untracked snow covered lakes.

I will never forget my first taste of kite skiing. Mind you it was with an HQ beamer and a less than ideal pair of skis, but it was the moment everything came together and gave me that stoke, that sense of freedom. I've never bought a lift ticket since that day. Wait till you get on some ice with miles to run and feel that speed under your feet. Oooweee!

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 06:30 AM

Wasatch Lite
less filling...tastes great

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 06:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
That's awesome Steve. I figured you would take to it very easily with your ski experience. I've got to find a set of skis this year.

DITTO!!! Good work Steve! Glad you finally got to give it a go!!!

I'm going to take a nap now
TEDWESLEY

Mood: cat-like,I stalk the wind, finding little, I nap.

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 08:36 AM

Like Cheddar, I started with beamers and never looked back. Got into the buggy to extend the season ( we have an good beach nearby ) but
Nothing beats a big frozen stretch of water! I learned to ski when I was 8 yrs old so all I had to do was learn the kite. The aha day came on
Sebago lake here in Maine with and inch of styrosnow bonded to smooth ice and the perfect 10-15 wind. I skied until I could barley wobble
to the van to drive home. I had to learn solo until I ran into others with the same sickness, and discovered the forum. Yes I do ski downhill
on occasion still, but that is because the people I go with don't know how to kite. I have to explain to non kiters that when I go skiing for 6hrs.
that is time spent skiing, not standing in line or sitting in a chair waiting to get to the top of the slope.
I knew you would love the snow,glad that you had another one of "those experiences".

Reactors 2.8 3.5 6.9
Peaks 4m 6m 12m
HQ Neo2 11m Ozone Chrono V2 15m WASP 5m
Flexi wide axle w/mids and runners
Skis Nordic skates and winter stuff
Quatro Wing Foilboard Slingshot Foils
NAPKA US06
soliver

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 10:56 AM

I realize that I didn't share my "first"... I had been flying a 5.6m Twister IIR and a 3m Beamer V and was having a blast when I got invited to the OOBE Field Chili run in Aiken SC in January of 2012 where a group of kiters from around the area met to eat chili and board and buggy in a big field in Aiken (just outside Augusta GA)... The first Buggy I sat in was Pokitetrash's (Chris) Flexi/Bigfoot hybrid bug... I was able to move about 50 to 100 ft in some REALLY cold mid teens wind before he came out and said... Ok, my turn... what a fun day. I was able to meet Davis (Cheeks), Chad (Phreerider), and Don (the late and beloved Tridude) as well as a few others I'm sure. I ended up meeting up with (Chris) Pokite at OOBE field a few months later with my own first bug for some training before heading out to Tybee Island a week or 2 later to experience the beauty of clean beautiful onshore beach wind... awesomeness.... and then a month or so later I met Angus on Jekyll the week after JIBE 2012.... Good times for sure.

Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 07:00 AM

OK Spencer, I'm going to give you a pass for sliding in a first-time buggy experience on a snowkiting-specific thread because you are such a swell guy and because your story was actually pretty awesome. When I lived in Alpharetta we had plenty enough snow one year to snowkite on the fields you buggy on, so quit your wining about no chances to try out this awesome sport. :saint:

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
I realize that I didn't share my "first"... I had been flying a 5.6m Twister IIR and a 3m Beamer V and was having a blast when I got invited to the OOBE Field Chili run in Aiken SC in January of 2012 where a group of kiters from around the area met to eat chili and board and buggy in a big field in Aiken (just outside Augusta GA)... The first Buggy I sat in was Pokitetrash's (Chris) Flexi/Bigfoot hybrid bug... I was able to move about 50 to 100 ft in some REALLY cold mid teens wind before he came out and said... Ok, my turn... what a fun day. I was able to meet Davis (Cheeks), Chad (Phreerider), and Don (the late and beloved Tridude) as well as a few others I'm sure. I ended up meeting up with (Chris) Pokite at OOBE field a few months later with my own first bug for some training before heading out to Tybee Island a week or 2 later to experience the beauty of clean beautiful onshore beach wind... awesomeness.... and then a month or so later I met Angus on Jekyll the week after JIBE 2012.... Good times for sure.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
soliver

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Windstruck  
OK Spencer, I'm going to give you a pass for sliding in a first-time buggy experience on a snowkiting-specific thread because you are such a swell guy and because your story was actually pretty awesome.

Duly noted and appreciated... I always check "Todays Posts" rather than individual forums and hadn't noticed the Snowkite specific theme... my bad.... oversight on my part :no:

Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
Quote: Originally posted by Windstruck  
OK Spencer, I'm going to give you a pass for sliding in a first-time buggy experience on a snowkiting-specific thread because you are such a swell guy and because your story was actually pretty awesome.

Duly noted and appreciated... I always check "Todays Posts" rather than individual forums and hadn't noticed the Snowkite specific theme... my bad.... oversight on my part :no:

I was just yanking on your ample chain my friend. No excuses though; schools were shut down for a week! :karate:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
pstkk

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 07:55 AM

My first try at snowkiting was painful and frustrating. Already able to paraglide, I felt confident that that would also make me an expert kiter with no need for instructions. Oh well... However, shortly after I had a perfect session kiting at night with a full moon illuminating the snow. That was incredible and I had trouble falling asleep afterwards.

One thing about the video in the first post: In such light wind, downlooping works great. It will make it easier to carry speed trough turns (at the cost of moving a few meters downwind) instead of coming to a stop.
Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 08:25 AM

Snowkiting under a full moon would be FANTASTIC! How cool that you got to do that. Will have to try and make that work this winter for sure.

As for downturns I would say that I have an "emerging skill set" :lol:

Check out this video:

Quote: Originally posted by pstkk  
My first try at snowkiting was painful and frustrating. Already able to paraglide, I felt confident that that would also make me an expert kiter with no need for instructions. Oh well... However, shortly after I had a perfect session kiting at night with a full moon illuminating the snow. That was incredible and I had trouble falling asleep afterwards.

One thing about the video in the first post: In such light wind, downlooping works great. It will make it easier to carry speed trough turns (at the cost of moving a few meters downwind) instead of coming to a stop.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
ssayre

[*] posted on 1-10-2016 at 03:28 PM

Got my first time in the skis and kite today. not being a skier, it was hard work. First, I find dealing with putting the boots on and my feet in the skis a true pain in the butt. my bindings are not click in type. Second, I need better apparel (it was damn cold today). Third, I'm very glad I got snow blades instead of long downhill skis (it made things much easier than they could have been). fourth, I need to learn how to wax these skis, I think they are due.

All in all, it was a successful day. I was able to make transitions and stay upwind so I can't complain. Winds were 15 with gusts in mid 20's. I wanted to use the peak 6 but just didn't have the guts with my poor skiing ability. I set up the 4m ns2 on short lines and unhooked. first launch I had wingtip wrapped. Resulted in death loop, hung on as long as I could to try and fix but dumped the kite. It flew a good 30 yards away in a tangled mess. take skis off, sort kite out while freezing to death, set back up. This time all is good and I kite for about 20 minutes until my skis suddenly felt like concrete with a layer of slush built up on the bottom. I think this is due to the conditions. we had rain all day yesterday then turned to snow which insulated the ground from freezing fully so there was a 3" layer of powder on top of a slush bottom layer. wet snow made getting my boots into bindings a pita.

I'm kind of looking forward to my next session or transforming one of the blades into a snowskate. Not sure yet, but I really like the idea of strapless and being able to wear a comfortable pair of normal boots.

Chris put me down for 5mph this week in the speed ranking. :P
Windstruck

[*] posted on 1-10-2016 at 05:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
Got my first time in the skis and kite today. not being a skier, it was hard work. First, I find dealing with putting the boots on and my feet in the skis a true pain in the butt. my bindings are not click in type. Second, I need better apparel (it was damn cold today). Third, I'm very glad I got snow blades instead of long downhill skis (it made things much easier than they could have been). fourth, I need to learn how to wax these skis, I think they are due.

All in all, it was a successful day. I was able to make transitions and stay upwind so I can't complain. Winds were 15 with gusts in mid 20's. I wanted to use the peak 6 but just didn't have the guts with my poor skiing ability. I set up the 4m ns2 on short lines and unhooked. first launch I had wingtip wrapped. Resulted in death loop, hung on as long as I could to try and fix but dumped the kite. It flew a good 30 yards away in a tangled mess. take skis off, sort kite out while freezing to death, set back up. This time all is good and I kite for about 20 minutes until my skis suddenly felt like concrete with a layer of slush built up on the bottom. I think this is due to the conditions. we had rain all day yesterday then turned to snow which insulated the ground from freezing fully so there was a 3" layer of powder on top of a slush bottom layer. wet snow made getting my boots into bindings a pita.

I'm kind of looking forward to my next session or transforming one of the blades into a snowskate. Not sure yet, but I really like the idea of strapless and being able to wear a comfortable pair of normal boots.

Chris put me down for 5mph this week in the speed ranking. :P

As the thread was aptly named, "There's only one first time". Sounds like yours was a handful Sean. Wish one of us could have been there with you to help you through the learning curve. As I was reading your entry I couldn't help but think about "my first time" at Lake Ivanpah. I clustered quite a bit there too. Nothing quite like being in a totally alien environment even when you know what you are doing with your kites.

I know you future sessions will be much better!!!

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Anthonyshopguy

Mood: Getting better

[*] posted on 1-10-2016 at 11:31 PM

Last February 2015 on top of the Grand Mesa CO. Had good winds in the 12 to 14 range with gust in the 18 to 20 range. Peter Lynn escape 11 lei. Had some friends near by to call 911 if all did go well. Skinny cross country ski suck! Warp speeded and freaked (WHAT DO I DO HOW DO I SLOW DOWN) Well what else was there to do but fly the kite in the opposite direction. I'm sure most of you know what happened next. My First air. I did land in mostly one piece the kite was dragging me across the field and one of my friends piled on to hold me down. Exciting!!!! Next day SNOW BOARD Miracles I could edge. Much better day went for over an hour and I believe I know what Laughing like a little kid sounds like because I'm pretty sure I was doing it. Still looking for advice and help. Any western slope fliers that want to give the Grand Mesa a try drop me a line.

Flysurfer Soul 21m, Cabrinha Contra 17m, Slingshot Turbine 15m, Best Waroo 13 m, Peter lynn escape 11, Best Nemisis 9, Best Waroo 7m(brought back to life for IBX 2018, Ozone frenzy 11(Franken kite), HQ apex 6.5 (died IBX 2018 fly in peace) , several TT' s, SB's, PL Bigfoot XT, 600 Polaris snowmobile to get me there!
nate76

Mood: Lets roast some coffee

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 03:04 AM

Nice Steve! There is something magical about skiing - just the 3d aspect of it riding on rolling terrain, skiing uphill and the magical scenery winter has to offer. Cruising in a winter sunrise/sunset in snow-covered hills and alpineglow is pretty unforgettable.

I actually learned to kite out in Utah. I was living in Layton, learned to paraglide down at Point of the Mountain back around '04. Around '05 I saw my 1st Ozone snowkite promo video with Chasta and said, "oh no." I knew I was hooked before I had even tried it.

Have fun - it only gets better!

Founder/Owner Colorado Kite Sports
Specializing in Gin, Little Cloud & HQ4 foils.
http://coloradokitesports.com
Most used Kites: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou
Skis: Something w/ Marker Baron or Duke Bindings
Boards: Litewave Wing, Naish Jet 2000, OR Mako 140
robinsonpr

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 03:22 AM

Great stuff Steve, love the video, looks like you were having a ball! And I definitely feel your stoke, was in the same position myself recently...

My very first try was in Norway over a year ago, but it doesn't really count as I barely had any wind and was only equipped with my 6m Peak. I returned to Norway a few weeks ago, and this time was totally different. Quite strong wind, and the play area was at the top of one of the lifts on a plateau. No way was I going to fly the 6m Peak for my first try in proper wind so I went 6m Access instead. On launch (skis off...I wanted to feel the kite before I clipped in!) I got quite a dragging across the snow which was icy hard crust from the wind. Pretty scary as it's not like taking a bit of a butt dragging on grass, but the Access with it's great depower was gentle on me.

Once I got my skis on and started moving I couldn't believe how quickly I was up to what seemed like warp speed. Big panic if I'm honest, as the kite was in full flow and generating bucket loads of apparent wind. I was struggling a little to hold the edge....combination of ice crust, shabby rental skis, and probably most importantly lack of technique on my part coupled with the rigidity of my body through blind panic! I was rapidly heading to what looked like a ridge. I didn't realise how far I'd travelled in such a short space of time, and I also didn't know what was over the ridge. I'd checked out maps beforehand and it was most likely just a slight ridge with more open space on the other side but it could well have been a drop off and I didn't fancy finding out the hard way. I transitioned, somehow managing to stay on my feet, and blasted back the other way. What a rush!! But my legs were seriously burning by now trying to hold the line and stay upwind and in control of my speed. I only did a few more runs before bailing out and calling it a day. The wind was gusting pretty high and as it was icy I didn't want to push my luck.

But man, those few runs gave me a glimpse of what snowkiting is like. Certainly different from the buggy, very similar, yet very different! I'd love to do more, and am looking into that as we speak...possible trip to Italy in March if I can sort out logistics (ie: somehow convince the wife to let me go). I now have a good quiver for snow (especially when my 4m Access arrives, that would have been the better kite for me that day in Norway) so I can't wait to get back out there!!!

Rev 1.5 SLE
PL Pepper 1.5m, Twister III 3m
Flysurfer Peak I 6m, Peak II 12m
Ozone Access V6 6m, 4m incoming!
Arcs Venom 13m, Synergy 15m
LEIs Slingshot Rally 7m, 9, 12m
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PTW SuperBug II
Nobile NHP Carbon Split

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio