Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Would you move to do waht you love?
I would do anything to fly --- 7 (53.85%)
Depends on housing/schools/job --- 4 (30.77%)
I couldnt uproot family for a hobby --- 2 (15.38%)

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Would you move to do waht you love?
jonesing4wind

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 09:24 AM
Would you move to do waht you love?

Pretty self explanitory. Where I live there are maybe 3-5 buggyable days per month. And the really sad part is that I am working most of those. So the end result is that I get to buggy 4-5 times a year, and 2 of those are at big events, ie: NABX, Fall Thang, DBBB, etc. And while I would never give up the trips to these events, it really is crappy that I cannot just hop down to a local field and get in an afternoon in the bug. So, would you uproot your family and leave a good (make that acceptable) job to chase the wind?
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 09:52 AM

Isn't that completely up to the WIFE ?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Tigger

Mood: I\'m happily married; I have no mood!

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 06:11 PM

Already did; I move to Las Vegas Nevada from Minneapolis not because the wind is better but because the weather is. I've never like the cold; it gets cold on Ivanpah but not like it did in Minnesota.

Keepin\' The Sunny Side Up & The Dirty Side Down!
coreykite

Mood: Who Moo-ed?

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 12:23 PM

Sean,
I made the move too.
From Pacific Grove on the Monterey Peninsula, in the middle of the Central California Coast to Las Vegas, in 1999.
I had a different situation than you.
My move here was a direct result of visiting frequently during the 90's and having no longer Windborne Kites on Cannery Row.

Those desert dry lakes, the easy accessability, the nearly year-round opportunity to buggy, the variety of sites, the opportunity to explore and find new places... Add up to a nearly overwhelming impetus to make the change.

I personally consider kiting and buggying to be forms of psychological therapy that one may self-administer.
Either I am crazy or the world around me is crazy, so frequent sessions of wind-therapy are called for.

One of my oft-quoted mantras is that between the man-made, constructed world we live and work in, and the natural, elemental world of nature and the wind, where we go to play, we hope to find a sense of balance.
Balance in our lives and in our place on this world.

Nothing magical or mystical.
But it often seems so to the ones who get that connection.

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.
There are riches in life that don't get taken to the bank.

I probably read this in a book.

Safen Up! Buggy On!

"Often wrong... Never in doubt"

the coreylama
leebrianh

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coreykite
I personally consider kiting and buggying to be forms of psychological therapy that one may self-administer.
Either I am crazy or the world around me is crazy, so frequent sessions of wind-therapy are called for.

Amen to that! - Brian
Sand-Yeti

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 02:51 AM

I have a great terrain for buggying (probably one of the best places in the world) and it's right on my doorstep.

I would like to have a bit more wind and less heat in summer but beggars can't be choosers.

If buggying wouldn't be possible here, then I would sell up & move somewhere else.

Sand-Yeti
action jackson

Mood: wind-holic

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 06:35 AM

I bought a sailboat and live on it...........aj
bugymangp

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 08:12 AM

yes!!!! thats my game plan when i retire in about 5yrs from heart attact city (NYC).
i plan to sell everything,house,cars etc and move out west.
me and dave RIP kennedy had plans of moving in together when i was ready. his death hit me real hard. both him and i work with wrenchs and we hit it off be coming friends right away. when i told him i wanted to move out west. he opened his house to me without even blinking an eye. we talked about it everytime we met or e mailed each other.
jonesing4wind

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 06:59 AM

The more I think about this (and trust me, I have spent many hours deliberating) The only conclusion I keep coming to is that you only live once. To put off doing what you are passionate about is only cutting off your own lifeline. Kids are adaptable and if you really love something, there are forces at work that will enable you to overcome any obstacles. My problem is that I overthink things and then lose sight of what is real. Anyway, thanks to my friends for the input! I think I will start to develop a 6-month to 2-year year plan to get myself and family to Vegas.

One other point Id like to mention: I was describing kiting to a co-worker and was surprised to hear myself say that EVERY DAY for the last 4.5 years, I have looked out the window, checking the trees for movement. This was when I woke up to the fact that this is a lifestyle, not a hobby, and by living somewhere that stifles that.... well you get the idea. It would be like someone who was passionate about snowboarding living in Hawaii. ANyway, thanks again to all my kiting friends for the input and listening to me ramble...

Seany
leebrianh

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 08:11 AM

Seany, I admire your courage. I am kind of guy who thinks like you but never has courage to make it happen....another word, chicken.

Wherever you go, let me know. I would like to visit you and buggy with you again (if you don't mind). Las Vegas is only (?) 5 hour away excluding airport hassle:smilegrin: - Brian

speleopower

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 08:42 PM

Yup moved. Bought a house a couple blocks from the beach:singing:

Quadrifoil Competition XXXL x2
Quadrifoil Competition XXL
Quadrifoil Competition XM
Quadrifoil Q2000 5 meter
Quadrifoil Q2000 4 meter
Quadrifoil Qebra 3 meter
Flexifoil Blade IV 4.9 meter
Flexifoil Blade 3 10.5 meter

Flexifoil Kava