Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tips on setting up Twister 5.5 with bar
Theed

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 12:12 AM
Tips on setting up Twister 5.5 with bar

I got some problems getting my Twister 5.5 to fly properly on a steerbar, i got the original PL bar. The kite flies great on handles though.
But once i attach the bar it keeps either flying backwards or when i adjust the steering lines i tends to "over-fly" me. Anybodyot the same issues or do have tips, maybe some pics of your steering bar could help me out..

Thx
flyguy0101

Mood: Never to old to play, but failing to play will make you old!

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 05:31 AM

Just making sure of obvious power lines on the outside brakes to the middle on FB

TEAMRIDER for Coastal Wind Sportsand Trampa mtn boards
www.trampaboards.com

My rides- Flexi buggy and Trampa mtn board
My engines-
HQ Scout 2m , 4m
Flexi Rage 3.5 & 4.7
PL Arcs- 10m Venom 1, 13m, 19m Venom II, 15m Charger2
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 08:57 AM

When I demo tested my 7.7 on a bar it flew like a wet rag. It took the whole window to turn. It flew real well on handles so I fixed the problem by returning the bar and ordering my kite with handles.

Even if you get the kite tuned to fly on the bar you have effectively taken away all fine break input from a kite that thrives on it ?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
acampbell

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 12:35 PM

If it's an original Twister, the larger sizes will not fly well on a bar. Peter Lynn people knew this and the Twister II did better. Your kite would benefit a bit from a cross-over bar, which amplifies brake inputs.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 02:53 PM

From when I saw Ssayre's Twister laid out on the ground, it looks very close to a HQ Toxic in sail shape and aspect ratio. From what he tells me about the way it flies, it flies very similarly as well. LOTS of brake input is needed to turn those kites effectively. My Toxic steers almost entirely by the brakes. The only time I need to work the power lines is sometimes to pump them to help keep the sail full in light winds.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
ssayre

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 07:49 PM

All the above advice is great. Personally I can't imagine flying my twister without brake line input, you won't be able to milk the power out of it when needed and it would just overall be less effective imo.
Theed

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 10:34 PM

Thx all, its a twister II, so it seems thatni need to put in more brake-line instead of less, even on a bar..will give it a go next time.
ssayre

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 10:36 AM

Quote:

Thx all, its a twister II, so it seems thatni need to put in more brake-line instead of less, even on a bar..will give it a go next time.

If you have a standard bar for it, you can't fly it with any brake input. A standard bar only steers off of the power lines.
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 09:46 AM

I wasted a lot of time and money trying to make my fixed bridle kites fly on a bar. People told me I was wasting time but ...

Here is what I found :

Standard bars with a single pulley on the brakes turns your kite into a 2 line with little to no brake input from the bar. Not all kites take to a bar.

Crossover system adds brake input as you turn the bar. This is helpful with larger foils but not a perfect solution. The extra weight of the pulleys plays out on the brakes when on smaller foils and it really effects them in light winds.

An interesting example is my 4.5m Bullet was awful on a bar yet my 7m Bullet flew pretty good ?

I was struggling inland one day with my 5m Ace . Basically getting no place on the bar due to shifty / messy winds. Out of desperation I put handles on and it was like I had a completely different kite ! I managed a ride that night and slowly said good bye to FB on bars .

This was all long ago and Oz' has come out with the Turbo bar since. I haven't tried one but think they make a lot of sense? So do the new Nasa wings if you want a bar ?

Years ago I was taught to hook in with my handles proper. Holding my handles out like a bar and controlling the kite with brake trim, like my depower kites. This method has served me well and I think made me a better pilot. I realized someplace along the line that I was trying to build a bar to make up for my lack of real pilot skills. Learning how the FB is really designed and to be controlled by handles was far more valuable than all the time and money spent on bars!

Folks all told me but I had to learn . I am not saying don't play with bars. Just saying I tried and have seen why it is time and $
wasted.

I feel of all kites on a bar a Twister is like castrating the kites design ! I am stuck on why you would want to lose all brake control from a kite that is designed to boost you on brakes ?

Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Theed

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 11:27 PM

True....i am flying kites for over 15 years now and still havent found a good bar/kite-combi...thought maybe afger a break for 7 years things would have changed...but i guess i am wrong. On handles the Twister 5.5 is an great kite, so i think i stick with the handels and learn how to ride my mountainboard without a bar..
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 07:40 AM

The good bar kite combination comes with depower kites. They have certainly improved.
Fixed Bridle kites have also improved in many ways but they are designed to respond to handles .

The big change in controlling FB kites is the Ozone Turbo bar. They are not cheap and don't work on some kites. + still cost you some fine control.

You know that you can still use a harness and hook in with handles? That is the way you will get the most out of a Twister.

If you have a strong desire to ride with a bar I suggest you look at a depower kite. I enjoy riding ATB most with a good depower on a bar so I understand your position. I was there once. After much resistance I accepted that FB are best on handles. Kites like the Twister are designed to perform on fine brake control. You can tune that bar to work on the Twister but effectively castrate it and will be left mowing the lawn with it. It will simplify flying but too much IMHO.

Ken (K2)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio