Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gun Control, Sequestration and NABX
garrettfreberg

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 07:43 PM
Gun Control, Sequestration and NABX

With all the turmoil in the world today, can I ask each of you right now one question? Really? We are flying kites, not saving babies with cancer....

For those of you new and old, it seems like many people who like to buggy and kite are simply trying to do this at an organized event. This year because of the lack of permit, there is no organized event. It is my understanding that because of this, those of you who are seeking answers on this forum and other places, will not receive this from organizers because there is no event happening on Ivanpah this year, PERIOD.
Instead BLM is allowing individuals and their party to use the lakebed for wind traction activities. NABX has been turned into a club this year and will be gathering in Primm, Nevada at the HOTEL. No activities are planned and none will be scheduled on the lake bed itself.
PERIOD.

Now, that being said you and I and every other citizen of USA is allowed to seek an individual use permit to use the lakebed within the guidelines of the BLM. NABX tried to point out to everyone in a personalized letter sharing this information and stating that the former organization would get the permits for you. NABX has been working with BLM to insure this was happening.

Thanks to the great work of other "locals", who as they point out, get to use this site far more regularly than those who travel in from all over the world and USA , these folks have also been working with BLM to insure that those of who are traveling in from afar would have access to the playa. SO really THANKS to both the locals and NABX for making sure that those of us who show up from far away places would be able to fly, on this most magnificent place on the planet.

It is in my mind that all of us who have chosen to fly kites, enjoy the environment, tread lightly on it and wish to have access to these places we consider sacred. For those who live closer to Ivanpah to somehow think that those of us who don't live close wish to harm their or anyone else's access to this place is simply untrue and not very mindful.

It actually reminds me of why I don't surf anymore either, because most of California breaks are guarded by unruly locals who think they have more rights to the natural beauty than others. I don't want to stop buggying with my brothers and I hope you all on this forum agree. The problems that some are speaking of on Ivanpah with the BLM must be all year long, because NABX and the BLM, although have had some bumps in their relationship, have a fine and healthy relationship. Having been around the final inspection the last couple of years, the Rangers and the BLM as a whole have been very happy with NABX, Blowkarters, and NALSA.

So if the BLM were thinking about banning users from the area, it must be because of greater forces at work within our government and things that happen during the rest of the year. I am sure that there are Vegas brothers and sisters who get to use this area are often witness to those who like to go fast on fossil fuel burning toys, shoot guns and destroy our beloved playa often and this is probably a greater concern to the BLM than kiters.

The fact remains that we are a small group of enthusiasts and we must learn to live together, play together and work together to keep our sport and the places we choose to do it sustainable. Arguing and bickering at one another is just putting against each other and I don't see this as being productive or hospitable. We must be more responsible to the wind gods than fighting with one another.

No one wants to do anything illegal.
No one wants to see anything bad happen to our beloved lakebed.
No one wants to break any rules.
No one is saying anything bad about BLM.
Everyone does want to fly kites.
Everyone does want to buggy.
Everyone does want to see old friends.
Everyone does want to meet new friends.

Let's work together to insure that this year and future continue to create great memories for all of us.
Just Relax and get your quiver of kites together and let's FLY!
anile02

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 07:58 PM

So, in other words... see you at Primm
geokite

Mood: name is mud...

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 10:19 PM

Well spoken. Thank you.

EDIT: But are you for or against closing the tax loopholes???

Steve Bateman
Arcs: P:6,9,12m; Syn:8,10,12 V2:8m
PL Monster Buggy, 1994 Flexi buggy (original owner)
nocando

Mood: Mad As

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 10:27 PM

See Y'all at the Hanging Tree :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Experience is something you get, just after you need it!

Kites I own

PKD Century 1.8
PL ViperS 2.6
PL Reactorl ll 2.2
PL Vapor 2.7m
PL Reactor 4.9m
PL Vibe 1.6
HQ Apex 3m
HQ Apex 5m
Ozone Cult 3.5
Flexifoil Rage 2.5

PL bug
deanaoxo

Mood: seeking aoxo~

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 04:06 AM

He's on the fence. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by geokite

greasehopper

Mood: surfin' wit de' A-wee-ums

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by geokite
Well spoken. Thank you.

Always with the smart mouth, you. Why I aughta....

Ken Shaw
Riding the wild sastrugi of the Sonoran Desert
Flexifoil : Blurr 3.5m, 5m
HQ : Beamer IV 5m : Montana V 9.5m : Crossfire II 3m
Ozone : Haka 5m : Cult 2.5m : Flow 2m : Imp 1.5m
Peter Lynn : Core 6.7m, 5.1m, 4m, 3m
Revolution : Speed series Blast : 1.5 SLE
xtemekiter

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 09:42 AM

dude I don't know you yet, but sure will come and shake your hand when I get to primm, this is the kind of attitude I have seen among kite flyers, but reading the posts from some of the guys in here? well......... no so good of a vibe.http://www.powerkiteforum.com/images/smilies/crazy.gif
Proletariat

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 10:29 AM

You had me at "cancer."
chris

Mood: Inducing camber

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 11:36 AM

Not a bad first post, Mr. Freberg. Can't wait to read the encore. Dust or bust. See you in Primm.

Wolfpaklv

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
It actually reminds me of why I don't surf anymore either, because most of California breaks are guarded by unruly locals who think they have more rights to the natural beauty than others. I don't want to stop buggying with my brothers and I hope you all on this forum agree. The problems that some are speaking of on Ivanpah with the BLM must be all year long, because NABX and the BLM, although have had some bumps in their relationship, have a fine and healthy relationship. Having been around the final inspection the last couple of years, the Rangers and the BLM as a whole have been very happy with NABX, Blowkarters, and NALSA.

Hey Garrett, we all know about how surfers are on the coast. Us locals have NEVER tried to run anyone out of any area on the dry lake. You could come park directly in front of, behind, or next to my car or any of the other locals. We are all very friendly and prefer more buggiers over less. Which is why we wanted to help in this confusing time. Look forward to seeing everyone out there!

Brian Holgate
nocando

Mood: Mad As

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 03:48 PM

CANNOT WAIT EXCITEMENT RISING

:wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee:

Experience is something you get, just after you need it!

Kites I own

PKD Century 1.8
PL ViperS 2.6
PL Reactorl ll 2.2
PL Vapor 2.7m
PL Reactor 4.9m
PL Vibe 1.6
HQ Apex 3m
HQ Apex 5m
Ozone Cult 3.5
Flexifoil Rage 2.5

PL bug