Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Always hooked in when flying Fixed?
SecondWind

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 03:31 AM
Always hooked in when flying Fixed?

I routinely fly just on handles with my fixed bridled kites when using my Dirtsurfer (not much power is needed to cruise).

However, I do use a strop from time to time to rest my arms in bigger winds.

Just curious - do most of you always fly hooked in when landboarding or buggying with your FBs?

Foil Kites: Flysurfer 12m Sonic 4, 10m Soul V2, Peak 5s and 5.5m Hybrid
LEIs: 9m Naish Pivot, 12m Naish Phoenix
Land: 16" Dirtsurfer GP
H20: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, Slingshot 103cm Hope Craft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 04:39 AM
mix it up

I will purposely remove stroop from harness to get a workout on my arrms and upper body. Then hook back in. Great therapy for a permanent shoulder tear that is catalyst for shoulder dislocations. Shoulder has never been stronger and less incidents of dislocation.

Safety wise....in very strong gusty winds you can also let go of a handle(s) in bad situation( Like kite gets 'behind you' and pulls violently at same time)....which you can't do hooked into harness by stroop line..... w/kite killers or not. I thought originally when I started the sport I would be using Kite Killers for safety.. but they are not going to do anything if you have hooked into your harness and you can't pull back to pop out stroop line. So I never use them.
I also like the wider range of position I can angulate upper to lower body(hips actually)to work kite unstrooped.

:wee::o:wee::o:wee::roll:
B-Roc

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 06:02 AM

Joe,

When I was on handles I generally hooked in for the straight runs and unhooked for the turns or when the winds were bumpy.

The better the quality and consistancy of the wind the more I stayed hooked. Whenever it got a little dicey, I always unhooked.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
cheezycheese

Mood: Ready for action !!!

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 06:34 AM

I started without a strop, but I got better when I started flying hooked in. For some reason it helped me to keep tension on the lines. But to agree with B-Roc, when the wind is shifty gusty I unhook...
I don't unhook during turns as most do and as a result there are times where I'm two inches out of the seat while turning... :crazy:

US888
PL- Aero v1 11m / Phantom 6/9/12/15/18
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
PKD - Century 2.5m, Soulfly 3.5m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
GT Rapide V/VTT-XR+ Special
WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skimtwashington
I thought originally when I started the sport I would be using Kite Killers for safety.. but they are not going to do anything if you have hooked into your harness and you can't pull back to pop out stroop line.

That is why you use a Quick Release, pop it and the whole rig is gone.

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

snowspider

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 07:22 AM

Ditto stroped in with quick release , static and in the buggy. I won't let the kids strop in though they survive jumps/supermans better when just hanging from the handles and when hit hard by a gust the handles get ripped out of their hands, like a built in weaklink.

2.6 , 3.9 , 5.3 , 6.8 PL Vipers
5 , 7.5 HQ Apex II
14m HQ Montana VII
5m naish element
7m ss turbo diesel
10m pansh blaze

5m beamer dearly departed into a tree
3 "snowspider" homebuilt kite sleds
3 homebuilt buggies
1 skate board with seat on wheels or blades (the c0ckroach)
Drewculous

Mood: Official Tough Mudder :D

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 08:24 AM

Personal preference viewpoint here, but I never use strops... Nebraska is too dangerous with out chop and punch gusts.... Ive only been in a true dangerous situation with my kites once, and I was stropped with no QR, and it hurt! I count myself as lucky cuz I had no lasting damages, but it was a bad day, and every time I feel the kite grab me that way, im happy im not stropped!

Nothing against em, but I cant use em in my winds

Arcs ftw!!

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
HQ: Montana 4 12.5m, Apex 3 5m
Flexi: Blade ViP, Rage 1.8m \"lil Pepi!\"
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Corsair Crash Test Dummy (QC Suervisor :lol: )
My most perfect days have been on Jekyll
canuck

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 09:22 AM

I spent the first summer without a strop but all my handle sets now have them so I would much rather fly hooked in. I find it gives me much better control. Flying hooked in keeps your centre of gravity lower. You always know where your pull is coming from and can shift your weight faster to counter gusts. When flying unhooked on my ATB I often face planted when hit by a gust while turning because my arms would go up and I would get pulled off balance.

I only run the strop through the quick release too. Then there are no surprises from coming unhooked when a lull is followed by a gust and you can always release the kite when you need to.

FB: Pro Foil 5.5m, PL Reactor II 3.5m, Radsail 3m
Depower: GIN Shaman 12m & 6m, Shaman2 9m (incoming), PL Venom II 13m, Venom I 10m

HQ Powerkites seat harness
Salomon snowblade 90, straight & shaped skis
PL Comp ST buggy, MBS Comp 16 Pro, Coyote All Terrain Rollerblades
BodyGlove wakeskis
mougl

Mood: Stoked for JIBE!!!

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 09:28 AM

Depends on wind and where I'm riding really. Static or small field flying I go without the strop but if I'm somewhere like Jekyll, I hook in for the long runs.

US357
PB: 53.1 mph

lunchbox

Mood: Feeling Lucky...

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 09:43 AM

I always ride unhooked when riding my FB's. In my gusty and holey inland conditions, I like knowing that I can release as quickly as possible and nothings as fast as just letting go. Also, I found that with a strop it limited my range of motion in my conditions.

Flexifoil Blurr 2.5, Ozone Cult 3.5, Nasa Star 3 4.0 Ozone Yakuza 4.0, PL Reactor 4.9, JoJo RM+ 5.0, Ozone Method 5.0, Ozone Yakuza 6.0, Flexifoil Blade IV 6.5, Nasa Star 3 7.0, PL Vapor 7.8, JoJo RX 8.0 (in route), Flexifoil Blade VIP 8.5, PL Vapor 9.4, Ozone Yakuza 10.0, PL Reactor II 10.8, PL Vapor 16.1, PL Venom II 13, PL Charger 15, 19, Flysurfer Unity 12, Flysurfer Pulse 2 14, Flysurfer Speed 2 SA 19, Flysurfer Speed 3 21, MBS Comp 95 landboard, PL Folding buggy, PL XR+ buggy, Slingshot LFT, Lots of surfboards
nocando

Mood: Mad As

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 03:29 PM

Guys a question to throw into this meld.

Was reading a post somwewhere was basically about buggy speed PBs the qualifier being unhooked or no harness runs

Has anyone done so

I have a PB of 66 klicks using a 2.5 Rage on killers

Experience is something you get, just after you need it!

Kites I own

PKD Century 1.8
PL ViperS 2.6
PL Reactorl ll 2.2
PL Vapor 2.7m
PL Reactor 4.9m
PL Vibe 1.6
HQ Apex 3m
HQ Apex 5m
Ozone Cult 3.5
Flexifoil Rage 2.5

PL bug
buggydanny

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 07:29 PM

I am a FB race kite guy and I pretty much always fly stroped. I like to fly heavily powered and I just don't have the strength to fly for more that 10 minutes unstroped. After that I start hanging out of the downwind side of the buggy and increasing loose the ability to control the kite and well as I would like.

I am spoiled and blessed with mostly clean coastal winds and I don't often have to deal with gusts that require the kite to be killed. In these conditions flying stroped greatly increases my ride time and enhances fine kite control.

I do not use a QR, they did not exist when I started and have done fine without one so far. The few times I really had to kill the kite in an emergency situation I have reached up and grabbed both break line and pulled them in.
PBandJ

Mood: I thought about joining a gym, but I started powerkiting instead!

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 10:01 PM

Quote:

I will purposely remove stroop from harness to get a workout on my arrms and upper body. Then hook back in. Great therapy for a permanent shoulder tear that is catalyst for shoulder dislocations. Shoulder has never been stronger and less incidents of dislocation.

Flying kites is a lot like working out with kettle bells. When I started flying bigger kites, I was sore in the same ways I was when I started kettlebells. Both of these types of exercise keep the chronic shoulder pain I had for years at bay. I fly handles primarily.
James

Rush 250 Pro
Skydog SDT 4.0 (FOR SALE)
Ozone Samurai 4.0
PL Twister IIR 5.6

Salad ain\'t food, salad feeds food!
-anonymous-
Houston AirHead

Mood: Smooth winds

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 09:07 AM

in my opinion strops are the worst idea ever. they make me nervous as hell. there is just so may different ways you could get tangled up in one. when flying a FB i prefer to just get sore muscles.

2011 17 Best Taboo
2008 Caution Mayhem 9m
Flysurfer Speed 5 15m
Legend 3
Ace II 8 - for sale rarely used....

BeamerBob

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 12:43 PM

There is no way I could ride on the lakebed as powered as I do without being stropped in. It's the difference in riding a 2m kite or a 3.5 or so. No way you could edge against the power a kite makes at 50+ mph while holding it in your hands, unless you are just doing a run to prove you can. The strop lets you ride that powered for hours instead of minutes. I have the strength to slide my buggy sideways for long distances with no strop, but that load is nothing like a fixed bridle kite running fast on its apparent wind.

Now put me in a light wind situation and I'll never hook in once. I need all the full control that I get with 2 handles in my hands.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
BigMikesKites

Mood: Go away RAIN

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 01:22 PM

I agree. Stropped in, I can go all day, but at NABX, where i forgot to pack my harness, My runs were about 15 minutes before resting for extended periods of time.

As for safety, a QR would be nice, my MG Cruzer crash was stropped with no QR. It is nice to 'Abandon Kite' on the buggy if things look too hairy. I've done that several times and with KK, you can't abandon it. on the buggy, KK just keeps it dragging behind you dragging through all the muck you probably don't want it to drag through. Better to jettison and have to chase it a little ways in my opinion....you usually have a choice on where to jettison it.

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites
http://www.BigMikesKites.com

Kites: Most of them
Buggy: VTT BLACK WIDOW...The best
Peter Lynn XR+ w VTT Rail Kit
Landboard: Not a chance
Water: still trying
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 02:18 PM

+1 for stropped in. I don't like the captive system and unhook to launch / land / try tricky stuff but 95% of the ride is hooked in.

Canuck is right on about the pull from core being an advantage.

I not only ride hooked in but try to hold my handles " bar " style. Doing almost all turns using only brake input. Learning this style has greatly improved my FB flying. Watch how the Dutch, Coolbreeze, Rip' and KiteGuru ride hooked in to see examples of the style I mean .

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
PistolPete

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 09:08 PM

Been practicing with stroop lines but don't really need them for landboarding because I don't really need that much pull. Once I bought an Ozone Turbo Bar and dialed it in, I did not see the need for using stroop lines in the buggy.

Side Question: Has anyone extended the throw distance of a Turbo Bar line above the bar to the stopper ball? I have long arms and could use more range. With a 5m flow I added small extentions to the center/power lines for more brake turn input. With more throw this would give more brake as you could pull the bar in further?

NAPKA-US28
Houston AirHead

Mood: Smooth winds

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 09:30 PM

i forgot to mention i dont buggy often....

2011 17 Best Taboo
2008 Caution Mayhem 9m
Flysurfer Speed 5 15m
Legend 3
Ace II 8 - for sale rarely used....

Pablo

Mood: Stoked

[*] posted on 7-29-2012 at 10:48 AM

Static, basically just playing around. flying something light, I"ll fly unhooked

The second I want to be properly powered the harness comes on. I use a fully captive pulley system with a quick release. Adjust the harness so it is so low that it barely clears the side of the buggy. Only way to go. I"m a big guy, I fly big power. Same as all the posts above, it is impossible to control it for long without hooking in. Then when you get on those nice long spirited runs, all you need to do is lock the kite in place, maybe give it a slight bump on the brake line once in a while and lay back and enjoy the ride.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

0.7m / 1.4m / 2.0m PKD Buster I
4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 06:56 AM

I agree with Pablo. For short runs or checking a kite, unhooked. The rest of the time it is hooked in with an Automatic QR. If the A-QR is not available, Armstrong flying until my arms are to weak to hang off my shoulders.
I would never fly hooked in without a A-QR.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio