Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Review: Coyote & PowerSlide
Midgaar

[*] posted on 11-26-2011 at 07:52 PM
Review: Coyote & PowerSlide

As promised here's my review, warning it's a long read:

First let me start with a little about my skating background, as I believe that has a lot to do with my opinions on the skates. I've ridden aggressive skates since I was 16. I have been to every skate park in a 70 mile radius of Milwaukee. I've ridden half pipes, hand rails, quarter pipes, and kickers. I've snowboarded a couple handfuls of time, and am by no means good at it. I've never had a pair of ski's on my feet in my life. So without further adue I will review both the Coyote and the Powerslide, then compare the two.

Coyotes:
I picked up a pair of Coyotes from thandsonok2001 in very good condition. Tires had good tread, the boot was flawless, and virtually no scuffs or road rash. I think I paid $275. The skate is well made with a high boot and plenty of ankle support. You could come down from a jump directly at a 45 degree angle and you still wouldn't roll, sprang, or brake your ankle. Think of a ski boot, they come up to about mid calf. They lace, two Velcro straps, and a ratchet strap. The boot is pretty comfortable, not the most comfortable skate I've ever been in but definitely better than average. The insole is fairly think and with a Dr. Scouls or something I would imagine them being very comfortable. I've ridden many skates in my day and some have a tendency of cramping up my feet after an hour or so, I don't get any of that with these. They also come with a calf brake, activated by simple leaning back. This brake had to be removed due to being activated by mistake during flight. The end results always ended in me on the ground. I feel that this is a must do mod.

The first time you put these skates on they have a slight awkward feeling, I think it's from being an extra 4-5 inches off the ground. By my second or third session they felt very natural. Moving around without the assistance of a kite, on grass, is very tiresome and somewhat difficult, even more so with a kite attached to you trying to get back up wind. Carving an edge isn't very difficult and these skates are fast, surprisingly fast for being on grass. When you get going you can easily find yourself holding an edge by leaning your body 45 degrees to the ground. I can't comment on their jumping durability as my skills with a kite are not there yet. From what I've heard they do so-so. A bad or hard landing have been known to blow tires, which may not be easy to find. Turing on these is very simple, using very similar methods as you would with a pair of any street blades.

I'd like to add that I attempted to modify these skates by removing the boot from the frame and attaching my boots from my aggressive skates. This modification failed because the new boots did not have enough support making them VERY wobbly. I could have easily seen myself braking an ankle by just riding the skates.
To sum these skates up; great support, fast, very mobile, and pretty comfortable.

PowerSlides:
After watching a video of Spartan on these skates I knew I had to have them. They are virtually impossible to find in the USA. I ended up finding a dealer in Germany that would ship to the USA. Shipping took about 3 weeks and if I remember correctly, I paid around $350 all said and done. I have the latest model of PowerSlides, confirmed by going directly to the manufacturer's website. They are not the same model as Spartan was using in the video. I believe the frames and wheels are the same but the boot is different. Spartan's boot was two piece, it was a shoe that would slide in and out of a hard shell. This was a major feature I was looking forward too, but my boots came as one piece. They look similar to Spartan's, except one piece. I was told they ran small and to order a larger size, this was a mistake. I ordered a size 45 which is labeled as a US size 12. I normally wear a US size 10.5 shoe and these were a size too big. Wearing two thick socks makes the fit workable. However, the boots were uncomfortable even with two socks. The boot felt thin and poked my feet in certain spots. Maybe they just needed to be broken in or the fact they were a size too big may have been a reason. I did the same mod as with the coyotes, swapped out the boots with my aggressive skate boots. Much more comfortable and it worked out really well as my boots were a little more flexible which made riding a bit easier.

Skates came with a calf brake that also needed to be removed for the same reasons as above. Frames are aluminum if I'm not mistaken and the skates are pretty light. One wheel sits completely in front of your toe, the other completely behind your heel. The skates are not very fast across the field but maintain a comfortable pace. Hold an edge is extremely easy, the lower center of gravity of the skate makes them very stable. Walking in these skates is very hard, as well as riding them without the assistance of a kite. The turn radius was pretty large, so if you need to make a sharp turn you would have to pick up one foot and step of the other. I found that maneuver difficult do to the length of the frames, they always seemed to be getting in the way of each other. Moving in a stright line was fun and easy, turning around to go the other way is clumsy, I have to come to a complete stop and do a little shuffle to turn myself around. I'm sure a decent jump and turning in the air, like Spartan does, would be the most efficient way to turn around.
I would like to note, these are NOT rollerblades, these are mini skis. If you go into that with that in mind you will be satisfied with these skates. I'm a blader, not a skier so these skates didn't fit my style.
Sum up; Great quality, very durable, holds an edge very easily, slow but steady pace, poor turn radius, long frames, uncomfortable boots.

Comparison:
If you read the entire review you'll know that I prefer the Coyotes over the PowerSlide. The main reason is that I have experience with rollerblade and none with skis. If you ski or want to, same skill set applies to the PowerSlides. The Coyotes are much faster, I'd as almost twice as fast in the same conditions. PowerSlides hold and edge much better and more easily. You have to lean into the edge much harder with the Coyotes. Coyotes are much more mobile, turning is a breeze and much more rollerblade like. Both skates make self propelled travel difficult on grass however, the PowerSlide were more so do to them being very awkward for me. I let thanson2001ok try them out and, being a skier, he was up and cruising in no time. He enjoyed the ride and since he owns Coyotes maybe he will leave a few words about his rides. The best advice I could give someone is, if you're looking for rollerblades go with Coyotes. If you want ski like skates, Powerslides.
thanson2001ok

Mood: SAD! Moving and kites are in a box.

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 10:15 AM

Nice review, Justin.

Ever since I saw PowerGlides and the videos of Spartan using them :o , I wanted a pair. I finally had some time to use them at FlyJump's Midwest Kite Jam. (Thanks for letting me use them, Justin.)

Coyotes are great but I have always been a little uncomfortable with the high center of gravity. You put 'em on and you instantly add app 7" height! They take a while to get used to and when you wipe out or need to lay it down due to an over-powered condition, it's just a little harder on the bones.

That's where PowerSlides shine. The wheels are in front of and behind your foot so you are maybe 2" higher vs 7" with Coyotes. I like that. Midgaar is right, they are noticeable slower. Not sure I understand the physics of that. Edging is good, no doubt. They are, though, noticeably less nimble. They do not carve like Coyotes and I needed to step turn when jibing.

Coyotes have not been made for years. I see a pair or two a month listed on eBay, maybe every 3-4 months here on PKF. I sold a pair to Midgaar for $175. They usually sell for a low of $150 to a high of $250 on line. Smallest I've seen is US size 6 (only seen one this small) with the largest I've seen is US 12 (only seen a few this large.) Most are 9's and 10's.

I think Justin's recommendation is pretty spot on. If you ski, PowerSlides will give you the most comparable ride. If you blade, Coyotes will give you a similar feel.

For me, I will stick with Coyotes. I have grown accustomed to the maneuverability and hope to get even better with this. If I ever get to the Playa, I think I would prefer the PowerSlides for stability and lower center of gravity at higher speeds.

Todd... NAPKA US59 \"Have you taught a kid to fly lately?\"
Ozone 4m, 10m AccessXC
PL 19m, 16m Venom | 10m, 13m Venom II | 17m Vortex | 2.6m Viper | 2.3m Vapor | 6m, 9m, 15m Phantom | 22m Guerilla
Flysurfer 8m, 12m DLX Unity |8m Outlaw| 19m Speed 2.5 SA | 2.5m, 6m Viron
Action Vortex 6.6m Foil (FOR SALE) | Mac Bego 600
Flexifoil 1.2m, 2.4m Sting | 6.6m Blade III
The Original Flexifoil and Hawaiian Team Kite
Snow: Volant Alpine Skis | SnowBlades | PL Ice Buggy | PL KiteSled Land: Coyote Skates | Ivanpah Buggy
Water: Peter Lynn KiteCat
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 12:10 PM

NICE details!

i am a coyotes fan, nimble and blade like. all very similar to speed skating elements with lengths and somewhat height with 110mm. but the tall platform is a step up for sure like todd stated

very stable. up to a point the wheels /tires, mostly the tires and tubes, they blow out very predictably on big air stuff >10ft (for the 200# plus club anyway). and tires shear off around 40mph ...for a roll out its fine but you're always a little on the powerslide brake and after a few high speed runs they flex one too many times and pop.

the slightly bigger tire on the trail skates may give an advantage... my 8" doomset is very similar and will hold 40mph + no problem.

the coyotes do give tremendous control any speed whereas the longer rails CAN get out of shape once you start really powering through them, but the roll out is good to go!

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 05:58 PM

Very nice reviews !

This helps me out. I have also been curious about these skates . I only have experience with Coyotes but am very pleased with them.

Coyotes were very well made and I expect would have to sell for around $500-700 ? They show up on ebay on a regular basis and a patient shopper can buy them at some amazing deals. The DO fit at least 1/2 size small for standard U.S. and size 12 is the biggest I gave seen.

Removing the brake is pretty much a must.

Coyotes perform very well for jumping in so much as they have a good stiff ankle support + a stable base for landing. Just enough wheel for and aft to give stbilaty. Not so much that you can't " run out " a bad situation or have to step turn. Both BIG positives over longer styles IMHO. The Coyotes tires are the problem. Popping them becomes an issue when jumping. I think I am pinching the tubes and should inflate them more ???

I have not tried anything but Coyotes ( and Scorpian Skates :no: ) . I am not in a hurry to try the longer wheel base options but won't pass up a chance to. Thanks to your review I am less concerned about trying.

Things that turn me off of the longer wheel base are : Step turning, and not being able to run out of a bad spot. Walking around on Coyotes is clumsy but do-able. The longer home built " doomwheels " have always impressed me as leg breakers and I have read of it happening enough to be shy .

For ME , the best thing about Blades is the crossover to kiteskiing. It is the closest I can get to that feel for 2/3 of the year.

:wee:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 07:04 PM

Interesting, thanks for that!

I skate, ski and snowboard ... probably a better skier than I am snowboarder though!
Have yet to use my Coyotes :( kitesurfing sorta took over :D but now winter is here again ... the TrailSkates I had were too small and I couldn't use them at all ...

... I'd love to try some TerraBlades though!

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
spartan1

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 02:30 PM

Hey guys alot has been happening with work, moving, and not been able to log in cause my old work computer loged me in automaticly, and not having the email address any more, I couldn't get it under the FORGOT YOU PASSWORD area.
Oh well now I'm Spartan1.

In the area of turning skates, I have never step turned.
The way I turn without jumping or stepping into the turn, is to pivot on the back wheels. I hold one foot forward and one foot back to prevent tipping back onto your backside, redirect the kite and around you go.
So by piviting you'll be able to turn on a dime, no mater how Big the wheels are.
It needs a little bit of practice at first, but once you get the skill down packed you'll enjoy your skating that much more.

I'll try to take some video footage soon on what and how I do the turns.

Spartan
MikeDobbs

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 03:09 PM

Oh man I was so close to buying a set of Powerslides when Spartan's last video came out- this thread is pushing me back towards the edge!

Thanks for all of your effort in putting these reviews together, it really helps in considering a purchase. Midgaar, I was emailing with the same company (I suspect) in Germany, and the sizing thing is one of the reasons I have yet to pull the trigger.

We understand all that is not mathematics through the world, but we understand the world through mathematics

15m PL Phantom
10m and 14m Griffin Argonaut (LEI - kiteboarding)
7m HQ Montana V
7m Flexifoil Bullet
PL Arc630
3m Ozone Flow
2.5m Ozone Imp
HQ Rush 250Pro

Check out my Kiting and Math Rap Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/MikeDobbs76?feature=mhee
Midgaar

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 12:33 AM

That's a great idea spartan, I'll deffinatly give that back wheel turning a try. I haven't given up on the Powerslides just yet, mainly thanks to your video.

Dobbs - When you order your skates I would recommend ordering in your actual size or a half a size higher. I got EU size 45 which equals US size 12.
spartan1

[*] posted on 12-10-2011 at 03:56 PM

I was out landboarding yesturday (yes, I'm a landboarder and I kitesurf aswell) when I remembered about the question on turning with skates on this forum.
I stopped to think for a second, what do all landboarders and kitesurfers do to turn, we slide into turns, or lift the front of the board and pivet around.
So if any one is on the powerslide type skates just slide into your turns. let the kite pull you around. If look at the videos my friend filmed on me on skates, you'll notice the sliding turns.
let the kite do the work of dragging you around, at no point should you be stopping and stepping into turns.

With the comparison beteen Coyotes and Powerslides for me is if I kited on flat even hard paked sandy beach areas it would be great. But with Coyotes with their short wheel base which stops just under the toes and the higher centre of gravity, on the grassy hills that I do most of my kiting I'd be falling flat on my face most of the time, because of all the small pot holes and uneven terain in most of parks I kite at.
With the power slides the wheels are set alot further forward and the boot is set lower, so with these two reasons the wheels just glide over the pot holes and uneven grass, and they're still good on the beach.

In conclusion, I think you should skate with what feels best for you.

Spartan
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 12-11-2011 at 11:23 AM

Good point about the Coyotes and pot holes etc.

Our park ends up with soft spots since the grass is on sand. It becomes a big problem as the season goes on. I try to run out of a stall but have been face planted more than once. Without a doubt those sand traps are my biggest issue.

Similar on the beach. There is a fine line between riding and stuck.

The lower centre of gravity is something I would love to experience. Since all I know is the higher stance of the Coyotes it seem OK to me? I have felt the difference when moving to a dropped long board.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio