Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kiteskate construction questions...
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 16-2-2003 at 07:03 AM
Kiteskate construction questions...

Copied from old forum:

October 24 2000

questions recently mailed to me from a new kiteskater...

Q. What should be used for axles? Where can you buy them?

A. the axels are long bolts (the kind with thread on both ends). i used spacers, similar to the buggy axels, to space the bearings. a pair of low-profile nuts secure the bearings in place. all this can be purchased at any hardware store.

Q. The instructions state that you use Long Bolts to secure the boots to the axles; how does this work?

A. the rails need to have holes drilled in them to match up with the original wheel axel holes of the skate boots. long bolts and spacers will set the boot in place between the rails. the spacers account for the extra width of the scooter wheel axel.

Q. Where can the spacers be purchased?

A. any hardware store. you can use aluminum tube or small pvc plastic and cut it to size.

Q. Did you ever try using Buggy wheels/tires instead of Scooter wheels/tires?

A. no, i thought they would be too big, clunky and heavy... not to mention even higher from the ground.
recently i found some great wheels at a hardware store that are a little wider and smaller profile (10 in). i have to find a way to fit the bearing races into the hub and then i'll be rebuilding my skates.
scooter wheels have worked great for me thus far and i have had no trouble even at high speeds. in addition, they are cheap and easy to find.

keep in mind that wheel diameter is important. some people try to use small wheels to be closer to the ground, but this is NOT an advantage. small wheels (under 10 inch diameter) will result in a hard and bumpy ride. most importantly, they will cause the skater to stumble over any little hole or bump on the surface. at high speed, this could be a dangerous situation.
the larger wheels offer a smoother ride, better traction, and the ground clearance necessary for varrying terrain.

for additional info, reference this page:
http://www.doomwheels.com/articles/buildwod.php

*note to anyone who has built a pair of kiteskates: send me your kiteskating pics and i will add them to a new pic album on this site.

ride fast take chances!
bc

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio