Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PLEASE HELP! Another new and confused as to what kite i should buy person????
Dropkick

Mood: Chilled

question.gif posted on 6-5-2005 at 06:42 PM
PLEASE HELP! Another new and confused as to what kite i should buy person????

Hi everyone, ive been looking over the forum (very nice!) and have read loads of good reviews and advice but some how still need some advice on what kite/kites to buy. :puzzled:

Ive had a flexifoil proteam 8 for a few years and not used it for ages as it got dull very quick, unless its VERY windy. But last weekend I went out on a friends buggy and used his 4 line traction kite (can't remember the name but it draged me around the field) I loved every second of it. So now i've gotta have my own and i've been looking at where to go abroad already, i can't wait!

For my first time in a buggy i found it quite easy to control and zip around the field. So im wondering what kite would be good for:

:ninja: getting some air
:ninja: using a buggy
:ninja: and i've been snowboarding for about 10 years so will most definitely be using it with my board.

I weigh about 210lbs/15st and from what i can see the Ozone samurai and frenzy look like good choices, although im not sure what sizes for light/heavy winds and my weight etc....??? so im thinking of getting 2 kites for different wind conditions or 1 that could do most conditions and applications at first as i don't have an endless supply of money.

Your advice looks very good to me, so if you would like to direct some of it my way i would be very greatful. :yes:

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

Jon :cool2:

P.s. Anyone want to buy a proteam 8?? :lol:
Scoopy

Mood: Always Good

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 01:30 PM

For all around kiting, again, back to the blade. If you want to jump, its pretty much the only kite on the market short of waiting to see how Ozones new Riot turns out. Those are really your only choices unless you go de-powerable. As for the buggy, the blade does that well too. Acutally, its probably the best all around kite made. There is not one kite-related sport that it will not do well, with the exception of kite boarding. And thats not to say that it will not do that as well, but if you touch the water with it, your swimming. Get a blade. You will not regret it. What is your normal wind like? You could probably get along fine with a 4m to start with.

Scoop

Dropkick

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 04:41 PM

Hey Scoop thanks for help. The wind here can be prety random to say the least! But more often than not there isn't a lot but that could be because iv'e only just started paying more attention to the wind conditions. Some guy came into my shop today who works in a surf/kite shop and he said pretty much the same as you "get a blade!". Can't wait to get one now, even more so now i just bust my dam rib snowboarding then finishing it off while longboarding last night. Now i gotta wait for that to fix itself :flaming:

So you reckon a 4? Im about 210 and the wind can be bad, but then there is those days where its blowin like crazy.

Thanks, Jon :ticking:
fightingfish

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 01:07 AM

i live in inland lands, here in ohio USA. i know power kiting is much bigger in the UK. but i myself just recently bought an ozone samurai 4.0m for my first kite.

personally i'm scared to jump seriously, and also to board. i had knee surgery a couple years ago from a wicked skateboard accident where i broke an aclu tendon in my knee. it wasn't fun...in any way...shape...or form...

so buggying is basically the sport i would like to pursue.

anyways, i way about 190 or so pounds. and my samurai gives me a damn good workout in 15mph winds.

however, it is kinda sketchy on the wind conditions around here. sometimes it is 3-5mph winds... sometimes 15-20. i have found it very very frustrating flying in low winds. but at the same time, the 15+ winds give me a crazy workout.

i have a gut feeling that if i get a buggy, i may need a bigger kite, and may only be able to get around on it in deeecent winds.

hope this helps...i'm a total newb. just throwing in my recent experience.

-fish
Dropkick

[*] posted on 6-11-2005 at 03:31 AM

Cheers fish more advice the better. I have more time to decide now ive bust my rib. If laughing hurts like hell im sure getting draged around by a kite won't help! lol Still thinking blade is the way forward.

Thanks again :thumbup:
Scoopy

Mood: Always Good

[*] posted on 6-13-2005 at 05:40 AM

When you get into any traction sport, you will need more than one kite if you ever want to get out and go. If you only have one kite, you have to wait for the wind to cater to you. If you have a full range of kites, you can get out in any wind. I can buggy from about 5-40, and anywhere inbetween. Maybe even gusting to 50.

Scoop

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio