Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Monster Buggy front brace
geokite

Mood: name is mud...

[*] posted on 4-9-2005 at 07:25 PM
Monster Buggy front brace

Hi, as some of you know I bought Dean's buggy at NABX. Thanks again Dean!

I'm hoping some of you can help me. The front axle bolt goes through one side of what I will call the 'wrap-around' (it wraps around the front tire) to the other side, with no nut. The threads are in the piece itself. But when I unscrew the bolt, the head doesn't leave the wrap-around, but the threads do. Space appears between the spacer and the tire, but no space between the bolt head and the wrap-around.

See pictures at http://www.pbase.com/geokite/monster

This causes the wrap-around to bend open. Not good.

The loose spacer only occurs on one side, the side with the threaded end of the wrap-around. The other spacer is relatively tight between the wheel and the wrap-around (and then the bolt head). The tight spacer can be rotated by pliers. My thinking was that it might be jammed into the wrap around. I don't think it is.

Whacking on the tire from the tight side (to have it slide down the axle bolt) only loosens the bearing. As if the bearing is welded onto the tight spacer.

Any ideas? Need more pictures or clarification of what I'm talking about? Why remove the axle bolt? Just in case I get a flat :)

Has anyone seen this axle bolt? Is there something special about it, or is it quite normal (smoth shaft until the threads)?

I love the buggy but if I don't get this solved I'll (somehow) be ordering (or have made) a new wrap-around. I hate the idea of going miles out in the desert without the ability to change a flat.

Thanks
Steve Bateman

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio