Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recent Kite Boat Sessions
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-10-2018 at 06:31 PM
Recent Kite Boat Sessions

I had a couple good sessions last week. I hadn't been trying over the summer because there isn't usually enough wind. Here are some videos. I first went out with a 3 M LEI from Airush, but there wasn't always enough wind to keep it flying. Finally I gave up and discovered a new new method of kite propulsion which was quite a bit easier than paddling back to shore.

I switch to a smaller open cell foil because I've usually found it easier to keep this kite up in the air in light winds than the LEI. I was kind of shocked when I was able to make a few water lauches with it.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
jeffnyc

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 15-10-2018 at 08:23 AM

Nice Randy. You basically did a boat self rescue on that first one. That kite was small enough you could probably bring it on board and hold it up like a sail.
Did you make that first bar with the cork? I'm trying to figure out how the flag out works on that, with the leash on your wrist and attachment only a couple feet up. Would that work in super high winds?

Foil: Speed5 18+12 | Speed3 15 | Sonic2 9m | Peak 5 4m
Arc: Phantom I 12m+18m
LEI: LF WOW 9m
FB: Flux 5m | Bullet 4.5 | Blurr 3.5 + 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8
Ride: Flexi Haize | MBS core 90 | SS Vision 140 | Mako 140 + King 165 | King Gee | SS Hover Glide | WB 5'6" | Burton Floater
NAPKA NCC-US1701
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-10-2018 at 12:58 PM

The short answer is it is not a depower kite - it's really a fixed bridle - with some ability to adjust the angle of attack . The angle of attack is controlled by where the 2 center lines connect with the middle line in the bar. I actually changed from the bar that came with the kite to a standerd HQ 2 line bar I've had for a while. The picture shows the setup.

The bar that came with the kite is the little bar I used on foil kite in the other video (you probably recognized the kite as the Sensei 3m). You can see it at about .07-.08 in the video. I found that bar a little too small for Airush, but works fine with that foil. In both cases they are just two line bars.

The kite killer strap is connected to the middle line, so if you let go of the bar, the kite will come down. I've thought of turning this kite into a depower with a different bar setup, but its only a 3m so I doubt it would make much difference. I do have a better kite killer, so I think I will change to one that is stronger.

Attachment: php6K8tG7 (33kB)
This file has been downloaded 312 times

NPW Test Pilot -US99

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio