Power Kite Forum

Need Help Making a Decision on My Kite... Please...

Caz - 4-25-2005 at 03:43 AM

.. Please help.. I've caught the kite bug after watching and briefly trying my friends Flexifoil Skytiger 26... ssdly we're not friends anymore (his fault not mine :( ) Anyhow, I really want to purchase my own kite but I'm unsure of the type to buy.

I spent hours yesterday reading all about the different sorts and pricing them up. I spent loads of time reading through different views on this forum also but I'm still a little confused of which one to go for.

I'm pretty new to this but I'm not easily scared and quite daring so I would like something that's a wee challenge to master but not something that's going to quickly lose appeal.

I'd want something to scud and maybe try jumping :) that looked so much fun. But i'm not looking for buggying or anything like that right now.

So... I've seen a lot of references to Blade III's and Bullets but from the messages I get the impression to avoid the bullets as they don't give as much lift. Then... I've seen Symphonies listed quite a number of times and I was looking at a Symphony 2.7.... is this a good kite for what I'm wanting? The other type I saw mentioned were the Beamers, but quite a few people said they were dissapointed with the power? Finally... I've seen one called an HQ Rush.. and wondered if this would be any good.

I don't really have anyone to share this stuff with so if anyone out there could help me make a decision I'd be sooooo grateful!! :)

oo - I'm terms of budget... I have up to just over £200 to spend but I'm worried about spending too much for something that doesn't suit.... that's where you lot come in.... please help??? :)

kchunks - 4-25-2005 at 06:34 AM

Well, definitely get a kite with 4 lines. Blades are good for jumping and the 4.9 seems to be the most popular size. However, it would be a horrible kite to start with as the Blade is very agressive and the 4.9 is big. Starting smaller would be better, but jumping with a small kite isn't necessarily a good idea either. You need a lot of wind to get you up, and the ground come at you rather quickly with a small foil. I would recommend starting with a smaller "budget" kite and learn with that before you get into something like a large blade.

Caz - 4-25-2005 at 06:47 AM

ok... thanks so much for that...... what about a Beamer?

They're doing great deals on Beamer I 3.6's right now or for a little more I could get a Beamer II 2.5.. I'm ashamed to say I don't know the difference between the I's and II's... is there a great deal of difference and which do you think I should go for, if I'm not going for a blade or a symphony?

In advance.... thanks for your help!!! I can't wait to get my own kite and can't wait to start flying :)

RMV - 4-26-2005 at 12:29 AM

Hello Caz,
I just read that Rougham is going to have a kite festival mid May, a little patience and planing will go a long way. Go to such festival, have some money in your pocket, try a lot of different kites, talk to a lot of people about that you want to do............then ...................go for it.
Your local kite shop will not only gladly guide you thru the learning process but will also be a rich source of info for you, in order mainly to avoid mistakes and, directly or indirectly, accidents.
Enjoy and welcome to the club.

DaveH - 4-26-2005 at 07:22 AM

Caz,
I started with a Beamer 3.6 and love it! So much so that I bought the 5m for light wind days. However, if this is your fist kite I would strongly recommend getting the 2.5 The 3.6 can develop enough pull to get a beginner in trouble in a hurry. Once you're comfortable with how and where in the window power is made, plus get a feel for what winds are appropriate, the 3.6 is just an easy, fun kite. But until then, you might eat some dirt.
Dave

Caz - 4-26-2005 at 07:53 AM

Thanks so much for your advice guys, I really appreciate it :)

I also got some advice from racekites.com and after that I kinda got a wee bit overenthusiastic and ended up ordering my first kite... I ordered the 3.6 beamer II which comes with kite killers.

I'm reading all I can about kite handling and I'm being totally respectful.... I am expecting to eat a fair amount of dirt but I'm thinking that it'll be worth it for the amount of fun there's to be had!!
;)

DaveH - 4-27-2005 at 11:28 AM

Caz,
It sure will be worth it. I had a rough day at work yesterday so whe I got off i headed to the park with my 3.6. After about an hour of just flying it, feeling a bit of pull, I felt great. I couldn't really focus on what I was mad about anymore. I can't wait 'til the 5m gets here. Maybe tonight!
Dave

DaveH - 5-2-2005 at 02:17 PM

Caz,
My 5m came last week. It has kite killers which work great! If you think you're getting overpowered you just let go. end of problem!

Caz - 5-3-2005 at 02:32 AM

Hi Dave,

Glad you had fun with you're new arrival :) I've kite killers with mine but it's still in it's rucksack :( I've had to work all weekend and the bank holiday :( :(