Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Noobie flyer with a question
Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 02:24 PM
Noobie flyer with a question

Hi..so, newbie flyer ultimately wanting to kitebuggy (havent bought one yet) ..I'm lucky as I live only 15 mins drive away from a beach with a dedicated powerkite zone and I can sometimes get a bit of time off work in the week if the wind looks good. I got a PL 6m Hornet at xmas ..probably a bit big but it's a beautiful thing to fly. I'm getting to know the Hornet and look for every opportunity to get out with it but the opportunities are not coming around often enough.
Reading through topics on this forum I realise that I probably got it a bit wrong,should have got the smaller one first but static flying the 6m does look and feel awesome.
So I'm going to need a smaller kite ,one that I can take out more often,in winds higher than 10mph and still fly safely, help speed up my learning curve and be able to use to kitebuggy when I;m ready.

I've been looking at the 3.5m HQ Apha or the 3m Hornet..im thinking I want something around those sizes?

i wouldnt mind a steer on this as I want to buy something that is going to work for me.I'm thinking that a 4m would be too large.

Any thoughts?
Randy

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 03:03 PM

If you are having trouble getting your post to show up, take a look at this.

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=34074#pid32...

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 03:56 PM

:) thanks for that
Randy

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 05:25 PM

Yet another link that can probably help. Also, since you have nearby power kite friendly beach, do go out and get feedback from the locals.

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=28759&p...

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 06:00 PM

Yes, bit too cold for all but the hardiest (or obsessed?) flyers at the moment here in north west uk..did see one or two before xmas but none since ive had the hornet..But we have the whole spring and summer ahead of us so am expecting some nice evenings on the beach in the next few months..thanks for highlighting the link.
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 05:45 AM

First off, Welcome to the Monkey House Tao-flyer. Always room for a few more good chimps. Randy steered you true with the link to the into to powerkiting thread; it's absolutely the right place to start. You're on track with thinking about a kite in the 3m range. Being as you live in the UK you will likely be able to pick up a used buggy when the time is right.

As you've no doubt considered, another prominent advantage of getting a 3-ish meter kite is that it will be far "spunkier" during static sessions, something critical for honing your kite piloting skills. You'll want to be a competent pilot before you introduce movement into the equation with a buggy. Trust everybody on that.

Have fun, and please post some photos or videos as you progress!

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 09:19 AM

Glad I made it to the right place .:) Definately hear your advice about wanting to be a competent pilot before moving on and about being able to buy a used buggy when the time is right.I started flying in July last year in lockdown. Got a 2 line HQ 2.2m and was hooked. I love getting out with that one in higher winds and throwing it around either at the beach or the local playing fields. I stick my headphones on and just enjoy...and that is the sort of thing I'm missing in a 4-line kite. I love my 6m Hornet but can only safley fly it in "sedate" winds at the moment.
I had originally thought I would be ready to get a buggy in about April this year but I'll be happy to spend spring and summer evenings picking up tips and learning how to static-fly well,ready for a buggy going into autumn...probably be one or two up on ebay around then i'd think too...thanks for the input fellow chimp :)
riffclown

Mood: rain rain go away...leave some wind so I can play.

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 10:12 AM

Well my first buggy ride was with a Symphony 2.2 that I converted to 4 Line.
http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=26213

I will also ask that you review the Article
http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=28759&p...

You need to know the difference in Sport vs Meters square sizing. Your 2.2m is abut 1.5M square.

I didn't follow a lot of the conventional wisdom since the 2.2.4 Symphony was the first Quad kite I had. Followed by a 2M Crossfire which is much bigger.

(to my surprise at the time) followed by a 4M Crossfire.

Most do the odd sizes 3,5,7, etc
I did the evens, 2,4,8

If you are buggying, sooner or later your want a 2M for higher winds, a 3M for most days and your 6 and larger for those lower wind days.

HQ Symphony 2.2.4!
Skydog SDT 2.8
HQ Crossfire II 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0
HQ Toxic 8.0
Flexifoil Blurr 3.5
Flexifoil Blade 8.5
PL Hornet 2.0

Before you ask, What kite Should I buy?
Snake

Mood: Boost to the moon

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 01:18 PM

I agree with what everyone here has said, get a 3m. I started with a 4.5m and found it too big.

One question though, have you every flown a depower kite? There is a divide between buggiers on fixed bridle vs. depower kites. I much prefer depower in the buggy and am okay with either on a board. My buddy at my old field absolutely hates depower in the buggy and will only fly fixed bridle. Friends that I have taught to fly seem to be mixed on what they prefer, it seems like they like whatever I put them in the buggy with first is what sticks.

Depower kites have a larger wind range than fixed bridles and are far less taxing to fly being you are wearing a harness. Being you have experience flying already, I think a medium/small sized, low AR depower would suit you well. I went from a 4.5m fixed bridle to a 13m venom and when the fixed bridle was getting to be a bit too much to handle then venom was starting to get flyable.

Arcs - Charger I 8m, 10m, 12m, Venom I 13m - F-Arc 1200, 1600
Single Skin - Born-Kite LongStar2
Fixed Bridles - Pansh Legend 4.5m - Peter Lynn Voltage 3m
Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 04:28 AM

Yep, got that riffclown...thanks for the pics, although I had read about the sizing I hadn't really "got it" if you know what I mean. They are a good visual contrast which was really helpful esp as I have the same 2.2 Symphony. And I get your "sooner or later" comment..many thanks.
Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 04:59 AM

Thanks Snake..For some reason I hadn't really considered a depower. I can see the advantage of it being less taxing to fly when buggying, are they still as much fun to fly static as a FB?
Definatley feels like the consensus is for a 3m.
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 05:30 AM

Great comments about DP vs FB in the buggy. I'd say 90% of my buggy riding is with DP and 100% of my static flying is with FB. I would never consider flying my DP kites static unless I was specifically testing some part of my kit. Since you appear to be half a year away from buggy riding perhaps consider sticking with four line FB flying from handles for the time being.

I personally find DP static sessions supremely BORING while there are always interesting things to do when flying a FB kite static. Small application of brake line pressure during turns, purposely stalling and restarting, pinwheeling, the list goes on and on. You'll learn the "little things" far better with handles in your hands IMO. More "taxing" as rightly noted, but worth it.

Now.. in the buggy... DP can really shine as a motor with a simple throttle. Also, depending on the nature of your winds (ideal smooth laminar flow coming off the ocean vs "janky" inland winds swirled by nearby obstacles, etc.) DP can be much safer. If you are buggying in a confined space with hard obstacles around like football goals, bleachers, towering lights, etc and the winds can be near still to gusting moment to moment I for one vastly prefer the safety of my throttle with DP. On the other hand, when the winds are buttery smooth and predictable you can size your FB kite to the conditions and have an unparalleled connection to the conditions with a FB and truly appreciate your sublime use of wind as motive power. It's hard to beat the feel of FB on long runs in smooth wind conditions.

So much to explore. Have fun!

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 06:37 AM

welcome...:thumbup:
don't get too hung up on any particular 3m 4line
almost any will do just fine...just stick to the name brands

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 08:21 AM

Yes, thanks for the insights Windstruck. I would like to be able to properly fly a FB before getting the buggy and I need to get some flying experience under my belt first. Like you say, learn the "little things". I'm starting to notice when flying the 6m that it only takes very small,subtle movements to the handles to effect changes. I think getting a depower will be for next xmas after I have the buggy.

Lots to look forward to :)
Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 08:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by abkayak  
welcome...:thumbup:
don't get too hung up on any particular 3m 4line
almost any will do just fine...just stick to the name brands

Nice one, thanks abkayak..PL and HQ are the two in my sights..they seem to be the go-to brands?
jantie

Mood: wind please!!

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 11:31 PM

welcome and keep it safe. a 4,5m2 is only to big when you fly it in to much wind.
because it is bigger it is less quick and therefore good to handle.
look on youtube for an overkill of buggymovie's on how and not to kitebuggy

:thumbup::thumbup:

Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 12:29 PM

Nice one jantie..I get what you are saying..and will overdose on youtube buggymovies...got your link:D

The funniest and possibly most instructive for beginners like me i've seen so far is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXno-C_uXA
Randy

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tao-flyer  
Nice one jantie..I get what you are saying..and will overdose on youtube buggymovies...got your link:D

The funniest and possibly most instructive for beginners like me i've seen so far is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXno-C_uXA

And you will be happy to learn the mastermind behind that video is one our regulars.:thumbup:

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 04:24 PM

Yes, he's RedSky here I think?..he suggested I join here after I posted him a couple of Q's on youtube just after xmas,and I'm very glad I did. Iv'e been given lots of very helpful advice and perspectives to consider.

Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 04:26 PM

So I've decided that to accelerate my learning curve I need a 3m FB kite...probably and PL or HQ...but I'm gonna have to wait at least another month before my purchase so I'm hoping for gentle breezes up til then so I can get out with the 6m as much as possible.

That I will post a photo of said kite when purchased and proudly display it on here , of that there is no doubt.

tomdiving

Mood: thankful for this site

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 05:12 PM

a pal from oregon sent me a link looooong ago to a facebook page that had lots of kites and accessories for sale, and most, he said, were listings from the UK.
since i don't do the facebook thing, i never looked into it. you might want to look around for that page and see what bargains may be had.
and... if you seek a great static play kite that can also MOVE you, look for a 2.5 or 3.5 flexifoil bullet. the 3.5 jacks me around pretty good, but i'm only 10 stone. the 2.5 is my absolute favorite static kite. goes fast, turns on a dime, gets way out to the edges of the window - love it. they're older, but the bullets that i've gotten were barely used and in fantastic shape. i'm in the US, and all of my bullets came from the UK.
rages are great and you can find older and newer models frequently.
tom
RedSky

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 09:00 PM

Hey Tao,

Great to see you here man. I told you these guys had the knowledge.

Pretty sure the link tomdiving was alluding to is this one - https://www.facebook.com/groups/kitebuggysale/
Moderated by a certain one Carlos Fandango aka https://popeyethewelder.com/, it is the place to buy and sell.

All the best :thumbup:

Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-16-2021 at 09:38 AM

Cheers tomdiving...I will have a good read up on them buddy...I have a few weeks before I strike!

Hi and thanks Redsky..,took your advice and joined in..it's really great to be here ..:)
riffclown

Mood: rain rain go away...leave some wind so I can play.

[*] posted on 2-16-2021 at 09:48 AM

I liked my Bullets a lot. Especially the 4.5..The one in my Avatar actually..

FWIW, The Blurr is also a nice offering if you can find them..

HQ Symphony 2.2.4!
Skydog SDT 2.8
HQ Crossfire II 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0
HQ Toxic 8.0
Flexifoil Blurr 3.5
Flexifoil Blade 8.5
PL Hornet 2.0

Before you ask, What kite Should I buy?
jeffnyc

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 2-16-2021 at 12:57 PM

I also love Bullets and Blurrs. You can add Rage to that as well, though for static I thought Bullet was most fun. So add Flexifoil to your list, but just about any 3m will do you, and HQ and PL make great kites as well.
Since I know the Flexi line the best, the difference between the kites is the aspect ratio and number of cells. Rage is low aspect, so more tame - great for beginners, and for a high wind engine. Next is Blurr, higher aspect, more cells, flies forward in the wind window - not amazing static, but my favorite kite for moving on my land board. Then highest aspect is Blade. Most folks use these for jumping and killing themselves :D The Bullet came out before Rage, Blurr. Flexi killed the Bullet line and split it into those 2 kites, but in my mind it was the most fun. I'm mostly depower now, sold my Bullet to Abkayak, but I still get visiting rights.
Not sure if you posted your weight, but if you're on the smaller side, go one size down (flexi goes by .5, so 2.5, 3.5), so a 2.5 would be good. If you're on the heavier side stick with the 3 or 3.5.

Foil: Speed5 18+12 | Speed3 15 | Sonic2 9m | Peak 5 4m
Arc: Phantom I 12m+18m
LEI: LF WOW 9m
FB: Flux 5m | Bullet 4.5 | Blurr 3.5 + 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8
Ride: Flexi Haize | MBS core 90 | SS Vision 140 | Mako 140 + King 165 | King Gee | SS Hover Glide | WB 5'6" | Burton Floater
NAPKA NCC-US1701
Tao-flyer

[*] posted on 2-25-2021 at 03:25 PM

Thanks for all the helpful comments/advice/insights..all really appreciated.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio