Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: GPS speedometer 1st trial test
RedSky

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 01:13 AM
GPS speedometer 1st trial test

Sorry for poor quality footage. This is due to high salt content. I did not know it was a problem until I returned home, otherwise I would have wiped the lens more often. Hope it's not too annoying to watch. And the sound is all over the place because I became impatient with the video. I also kept the music volume low as not to flag copyright but that failed too. lol

Only the first half of this video concerns itself with the speedometer. The second half is pure filler.

The speedometer uses a GPS sensor which is located on the downtube. The device takes between zero to a few seconds to acquire a signal from a satellite and is powered by a 12v lithium rechargeable battery that is designed with water activities in mind ( batteries not included ).

Both the battery and speedometer are 100% waterproof. The buggy was subject to the occasional dunking which kicked up a ton of water soaking me through but the devices were completely unaffected.

I housed the speedometer as you will see, inside an old oil funnel. This is just a temporary measure until I fabricate something better. The vibration seen is due to the funnel. Suggestions welcome please.

Bare in mind that this was a very hurried trial test. The speedometer arrived on a Friday and I only got to assemble onto the buggy on Saturday evening before heading out early on the beach the next morning with no sleep!

Now I have had a chance to test it out, I love it!

It's great to watch your speed build and you don't even need to focus for a reading, just using your peripheral vision is enough to get a good idea. I'm looking forward to using it in future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2OjmSNyAHU

jeepersjoey

Mood: Vapor Trails...

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 07:15 AM

I'll be the first to post.

First...cripes buddy...your first run has you stroll right up to 60 mph mark. Hopefully you had a few warm-up laps!

Great video and I like the funnel idea.

As I was watching I thought "why not just use an eTREX GPS?" But I reread your post and you point out that the peripheral vision aspect. Plus, I am a watch freak and all my watches are analog, not digital. So...I agree!

Impressive and very cool!
iPaul

Peter Lynn - Resurrected Vapors (thanks to Tenacious Tape): 3.2, 3.8, 4.5, 5.4m. Size 2.3m (dead) - all internal bellows shredded
Pansh - Cerberus - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.5, 9m. (red)
Peter Lynn - Viper - 2.6m
Flexifoil - Rage - Rasta 1.8, 2.5 (dead), 3.5 (dead), 4.7 (v2). New backup of 2.5m and 3.5m.
Ozone - Method 6.5m (w/ Ozone Turbo Bar)
Libre - Bora - Yellow 3.0 & 4.5 (both on their last breath of life)
Peter Lynn - C-Quad - 6.3
HQ - NPW9: 3.4 & 5.3. NPW5: 1.0

Buggies (Kite and Land)
#1 Buggy: Libre Full-Race
#2 Buggy: Peter Lynn Suspension buggy
#3 Sailer: Homemade Land Sailer
#4 Buggy: Windspeed Pro Ivanpah Buggy named Bruce (because he weighs 130 lbs!!)

Paul's Photo Album

Paul's Videos
kteguru

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 07:57 AM

nice to see an analog option for a gps:thumbup:. I wouldn't mind getting one of those to play with. Since you mention the antenna is separate from the speedometer means you can encase the speedo any way you want without affecting the signal. That's a sweet little rig. What's the max speed it will read? Can you reveal the model and manufacturer and/or where you got it? And of course your speed runs are impressive as always!
Cheers:cool:
jantie

Mood: wind please!!

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 08:03 AM

a flat and bump-free beach..., what a luxury..
it is so much easier to go fast when you don't have to pay attention
whether or not your going to be launched on a speedrun.
:D:D

nice video RedSky, but what is the concern about copyrights on Youtjoep?
i use any music i want, always get a warning about rights and the message:
'if there is no problem you don't have tot do anything'

but since i don't make money of the video the worst thing that could happen
is that Youtube will place add-s in the video when
viewed a lot and the artisit get's payed... everybody wins:
i use what i think is best for the video and they get payed!

in my humble opinion a video with the music well integraded
is more fun to watch, no offence intended ofcourse!!

RedSky

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jeepersjoey  
I'll be the first to post.

First...cripes buddy...your first run has you stroll right up to 60 mph mark. Hopefully you had a few warm-up laps!

Great video and I like the funnel idea.

As I was watching I thought "why not just use an eTREX GPS?" But I reread your post and you point out that the peripheral vision aspect. Plus, I am a watch freak and all my watches are analog, not digital. So...I agree!

Impressive and very cool!
iPaul

Thanks Paul :thumbup: Meh, 60 mph is routine, hehe.
I did check the beach as I rolled upwind on my first go but I could see that the surface was unusually flat and hard so why hesitate.

I'm like you, I much prefer analog too. :) I don't wear a watch because I'd just lose it. If I were to choose a watch it would have all the fine intricate analog clockwork mechanisms with modern computer tech underneath.

Quote: Originally posted by kteguru  
nice to see an analog option for a gps:thumbup:. I wouldn't mind getting one of those to play with. Since you mention the antenna is separate from the speedometer means you can encase the speedo any way you want without affecting the signal. That's a sweet little rig. What's the max speed it will read? Can you reveal the model and manufacturer and/or where you got it? And of course your speed runs are impressive as always!
Cheers:cool:

Of course! There are a number of manufacturers producing GPS speedometers that use km, knots and mph with speed ranges from 0- 35 mph to 0- 180 mph. I did initially include all the info but decided that nobody would be that interested. Haha! I'm pleased that i'm not alone on this. :) I chose the 80 mph unit because I thought it more impressive to see the needle move right across the dial. The unit has various backlighting options too. I have mine set to blue but you can't see it the bright conditions too well but I imagine that it will look great for those twilight sessions!

I bought mine on Amazon. It took a while to ship because it came from China. Below is a link to the Amazon UK site where I bought it from. The battery weighs just 8 ounces and was shipped to the UK from the U.S. and took less than a week during lock down!!! :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DYNX5N2/ref=ppx_yo_dt...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KG58UWS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b...

You could get a much cheaper 12v lead battery but it would be much much heavier and you'd have to attach it somehow to the buggy placing it inside a water tight container with wires poking out.
Not a job for me. I'll leave that to the experts. There are youtube videos aimed at kayak fishermen on how to rig up 12v to power fish finding devices.
Cheers kteguru :thumbup:

Quote: Originally posted by jantie  
a flat and bump-free beach..., what a luxury..
it is so much easier to go fast when you don't have to pay attention
whether or not your going to be launched on a speedrun.

nice video RedSky, but what is the concern about copyrights on Youtjoep?
i use any music i want, always get a warning about rights and the message:
'if there is no problem you don't have tot do anything'

but since i don't make money of the video the worst thing that could happen
is that Youtube will place add-s in the video when
viewed a lot and the artisit get's payed... everybody wins:
i use what i think is best for the video and they get payed!

in my humble opinion a video with the music well integraded
is more fun to watch, no offence intended ofcourse!!

Yes a great luxury! The beach was beautifully wide and flat but make no mistake, this is very rare for Cambersands. I've only experienced this surface at Camber less than a handful of times over the past 10 years.
Normally you have a very narrow drag strip with little room to move downwind lest you like potholes and soft sand. I managed a new PB last year on terrible surface conditions, but thankfully the wind was so high that the run was very short.
In fact it was so bad that I only attempted 3 runs because it was too dangerous.

You are right about the music. Normally I use whatever I want and yes it makes the video much more enjoyable, but recently I discovered that one of my videos is blocked in certain countries because of the music.
While most of the music in my videos are fine, this does not rule out that one day they may be blocked. So I tried to beat the system, unfortunately it did not work. Haha. Like you I don't make money from the videos and do not care.
I just want to make watchable videos, even though this is just a test video I can't help myself. :) Maybe royalty free music is the way forward to stop blockage.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

jantie

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 03:01 PM

:thumbup::thumbup:
@RedSky:

I've never checked if any of my videos are blocked abroad.
And as for the copyright free music provided by YouTube,
They sound really crappy, all of them...

And as the quality of the beach it's the same over here: only on rare occasions that the formula is right:
1# to be able to
2# high winds
3# low tide
4# right wind direction
5# smooth beach
6# no rain
7# no other people, doggies etc.
Did I forget something?

My mother would say: count your blessings...

What I did notice: your height as in groundclearence
Looks pretty much on the video.
Is that on purpose?

Mine for instance is no more 12 cm between the lowest point of the seat when I'm in it and the surface.

jeepersjoey

Mood: Vapor Trails...

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 04:21 PM

I want to be able to get two fingers between the bottom of the seat and the playa. I hit a LOT of stuff.

This is on the Libre buggy.

But, I use it like a cat uses their whiskers...."well i am now stopped...I guess I was not supposed to go this direction!"

Paul

Peter Lynn - Resurrected Vapors (thanks to Tenacious Tape): 3.2, 3.8, 4.5, 5.4m. Size 2.3m (dead) - all internal bellows shredded
Pansh - Cerberus - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.5, 9m. (red)
Peter Lynn - Viper - 2.6m
Flexifoil - Rage - Rasta 1.8, 2.5 (dead), 3.5 (dead), 4.7 (v2). New backup of 2.5m and 3.5m.
Ozone - Method 6.5m (w/ Ozone Turbo Bar)
Libre - Bora - Yellow 3.0 & 4.5 (both on their last breath of life)
Peter Lynn - C-Quad - 6.3
HQ - NPW9: 3.4 & 5.3. NPW5: 1.0

Buggies (Kite and Land)
#1 Buggy: Libre Full-Race
#2 Buggy: Peter Lynn Suspension buggy
#3 Sailer: Homemade Land Sailer
#4 Buggy: Windspeed Pro Ivanpah Buggy named Bruce (because he weighs 130 lbs!!)

Paul's Photo Album

Paul's Videos
RedSky

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jantie  
:thumbup::thumbup:
@RedSky:

I've never checked if any of my videos are blocked abroad.
And as for the copyright free music provided by YouTube,
They sound really crappy, all of them...

And as the quality of the beach it's the same over here: only on rare occasions that the formula is right:
1# to be able to
2# high winds
3# low tide
4# right wind direction
5# smooth beach
6# no rain
7# no other people, doggies etc.
Did I forget something?

My mother would say: count your blessings...

What I did notice: your height as in groundclearence
Looks pretty much on the video.
Is that on purpose?

Mine for instance is no more 12 cm between the lowest point of the seat when I'm in it and the surface.

Haha, yes, the magic formula! I keep telling people about this perfect storm. It all has to come together just right.

If #2 = true and #6 = false then you don't have to worry about #7 :D

Yeah, those youtube pieces are terrible. They're not fit to be played inside a mall nevermind a video.
I have, however, listened to a few good tunes on Premium Beats by Shutterstock. They are reasonably priced.

https://www.premiumbeat.com/home

The buggy is not a race buggy but a stainless version of the Parastorm Typhoon. The same bugs used to cross the Gobi desert.
After riding my friends Gobi bug ( picture below ) I simply had to get an off-roader. Riding his was a blast!

I'd say there's about 6 inches / 15 cm under the seat at lowest point with rider. Enough to place a can of Coke under + another inch.

You do need to be careful scrubbing speed on soft or uneven ground though because of its short rear axle and high center of gravity, despite this it is very stable.

The bug has a full deep race style seat and climbs over all obstacles with ease. :D

jantie

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 05:47 AM

Nicceeeee......!!!!!!!
Looking good.

I hope to ride your beach someday.

jantie

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jeepersjoey  
I want to be able to get two fingers between the bottom of the seat and the playa. I hit a LOT of stuff.

This is on the Libre buggy.

But, I use it like a cat uses their whiskers...."well i am now stopped...I guess I was not supposed to go this direction!"

Paul

:D:D :thumbup::thumbup:

RedSky

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 02:32 PM

:thumbup: Yes do. Maybe I can have a go in the crab. That would be great! :D

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio