Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Airspeed indicator
RedSky

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 10:35 PM
Airspeed indicator

I thought it might be interesting to show actual wind speeds while I'm out riding, rather than relying on forecasts in my high wind videos.

In the past I have tried to record both analog and digital wind meters but due to either direct sunlight or the camera itself creating a wind shadow, none have been that clear or effective on video.

This meter, however, is the simplest and clearest yet.

Although it isn't all that clear in this video because I'm using it on a bouncy buggy at the end of a long pole with the scale facing me but in future videos it will be placed on the beach using a tripod and filmed in close-up. It won't be mounted on the buggy.

The Hall Airspeed Indicator is a simple device used mainly on powered ultralights and hang gliders but may also be used as a hand-held wind meter.

In this demo, due to a change in wind direction, heading almost directly up and downwind were my only options.

upwind section
The GPS reads 15 mph ground speed but the airspeed indicator reads 28-35 mph.

downwind section
The GPS reads 35 mph ground speed but the airspeed indicator reads 10-20 mph with a brief 26 mph maximum.

The low end wind range of my kite is 20 mph, the airspeed dips below the stall speed of the kite but because I'm handsome, I manage to keep it flying.

Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XekGTPtY7k

Snake

Mood: Boost to the moon

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 06:38 AM

I've thought about doing something like that before to get true wind speed and direction. You actually only need to know the apparent wind direction to calculate the true wind if you are a bit clever.

Arcs - Charger I 8m, 10m, 12m, Venom I 13m - F-Arc 1200, 1600
Single Skin - Born-Kite LongStar2
Fixed Bridles - Pansh Legend 4.5m - Peter Lynn Voltage 3m
jantie

Mood: wind please!!

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 10:45 AM

nice, i'm following this topic with interest.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio