Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: the future for the Peter Lynn brand
markite

[*] posted on 6-9-2020 at 07:07 AM
the future for the Peter Lynn brand

it was announced a little while back that after 40 years Vlieger Op would stop it's business activities June 1st as it moved the PL brand and Cross kites etc to Equipe Trading. Vlieger Op has been the long time manufacturer and developer of some of the main PL branded products. Equipe Trading has a worldwide distribution network and heavily involved with watersports. A couple of individuals will remain integrated as part of the PL kite line up but we'll see a number of changes and some products will likely disappear.
Anyway sad to see Vlieger Op go but a lot changing around the world with business these days.

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
ColinW

[*] posted on 6-9-2020 at 08:19 AM

SandFlea will be beside himself. PL is all he flies.
eric67m

[*] posted on 6-9-2020 at 10:32 AM

Also the PL divine harness is the staple of the NW crowd (unless you have an old teal blue windsurfing harness, but that will change).

Flying A mixed quiver of Flysurfer Peak kites.

Rollin in the Popeye The Welder Playa buggy.
ColinW

[*] posted on 6-9-2020 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eric67m  
Also the PL divine harness is the staple of the NW crowd (unless you have an old teal blue windsurfing harness, but that will change).

Hey that's my fiance you're burning:D
AlohaBeaches

[*] posted on 6-12-2020 at 05:49 PM

I'm new to this. Where can I buy one of those harnesses in the US?
ColinW

[*] posted on 6-12-2020 at 07:05 PM

A Wind Of Change in Salt lake City has them... and FYI they fit BIG!
jantie

Mood: wind please!!

[*] posted on 6-12-2020 at 09:54 PM

I don't see any announcement on the site..

AlohaBeaches

[*] posted on 6-13-2020 at 05:59 AM

Thanks Colin but they only have S-L I need an XL. I see them on the PL website but nowhere in the US.
sand flea

Mood: non significant wind chaser

[*] posted on 6-13-2020 at 06:25 AM

So sad to hear about PL..... I do love their kites!
I did order a new harness last week from Wind of Change
But it will take a month to arrive. I wore my old one out!

Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 6-13-2020 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AlohaBeaches  
Thanks Colin but they only have S-L I need an XL. I see them on the PL website but nowhere in the US.

As Colin mentioned, the PL divine harness runs B-I-G. A size L will likely fit you. They are highly adjustable with both straps and Velcro and our "Mountain Men" all use the L and it seems to work fine. I'm 6 feet tall and a solid 235 and I'm fine in their M.

Daelyn and Kent (awindofchange owners) are great to work with. I live about 40 minute drive from their place and have met them and been out to their place. Good folk. The harness is in their Parts and Accessories section.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
jeepersjoey

Mood: Vapor Trails...

[*] posted on 6-13-2020 at 11:28 AM

I too am 6 ft, 233 lbs, shift between 38 and 40 fancy-pants, and use a Medium Divine harness with plenty of extra for when I eat 6, rather than 4 hotdogs.

The Divine harness is definitely the way to go.

I also recommend the up-down wheel rather than the simple hook. I am not sure that the up-down AND rotate is any better than the up-down unless your strop is permanently fixed to the harness (which is a Baaaad idea).

BUT...become a SOLID flier before you use the strop. There are too many ways for it to go dramatically bad when you are first starting.

Paul

Peter Lynn - Resurrected Vapors (thanks to Tenacious Tape): 3.2, 3.8, 4.5, 5.4m. Size 2.3m (dead) - all internal bellows shredded
Pansh - Cerberus - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.5, 9m. (red)
Peter Lynn - Viper - 2.6m
Flexifoil - Rage - Rasta 1.8, 2.5 (dead), 3.5 (dead), 4.7 (v2). New backup of 2.5m and 3.5m.
Ozone - Method 6.5m (w/ Ozone Turbo Bar)
Libre - Bora - Yellow 3.0 & 4.5 (both on their last breath of life)
Peter Lynn - C-Quad - 6.3
HQ - NPW9: 3.4 & 5.3. NPW5: 1.0

Buggies (Kite and Land)
#1 Buggy: Libre Full-Race
#2 Buggy: Peter Lynn Suspension buggy
#3 Sailer: Homemade Land Sailer
#4 Buggy: Windspeed Pro Ivanpah Buggy named Bruce (because he weighs 130 lbs!!)

Paul's Photo Album

Paul's Videos
AlohaBeaches

[*] posted on 6-13-2020 at 05:24 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I am a very experienced flyer but I am all about safety. I have everything to learn about buggies however. I can see why depower kites and bars have become the go to thing for safety reasons alone I am comfortable flying with handles and kite killers but I will save the harness for when I buy a depower setup I think.
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 6-14-2020 at 04:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AlohaBeaches  
Thanks for the advice guys, I am a very experienced flyer but I am all about safety. I have everything to learn about buggies however. I can see why depower kites and bars have become the go to thing for safety reasons alone I am comfortable flying with handles and kite killers but I will save the harness for when I buy a depower setup I think.

Absolutely. No compelling reason to own a harness if you are exclusively flying static at this point. You just want one once you get rolling. Same goes for DP. FB on four lines and two handles is the way to go for now. I was personally never comfortable stropping with FB in a buggy and my hat has always been off to the folks who dare to do that. It's DP for me all the way for buggy riding. I love my FB kites but I only fly them from handles on the beach. Likewise, I have no interest in flying DP static.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
ColinW

[*] posted on 6-14-2020 at 10:19 AM

Had a post typed up yesterday... musta not pressed post.
I'm 285 6'2" 40 jeans and xxl tops and the Large harness fits me no probs.
Someone should mention Automatic quick release. Look for previous post here on PKF. Can put one together with bits from a chandlery. (Witchard snap shackle with release pin tied to the buggy) or I think you can purchase from Europe now.
eric67m

[*] posted on 6-14-2020 at 11:24 AM

Also search AQR for automatic quick release.

Many of us have pieced together our own. Many are slowly evolving as we find what can work better or what didn't work.

Flying A mixed quiver of Flysurfer Peak kites.

Rollin in the Popeye The Welder Playa buggy.
BigMikesKites

Mood: Go away RAIN

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 04:39 AM

I came across two new Peter Lynn Radical Harnesses in a box i found. one XS and one M if anyone is interested. i dont have any hooks, but they are easy to come by.

Email Me

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites
http://www.BigMikesKites.com

Kites: Most of them
Buggy: VTT BLACK WIDOW...The best
Peter Lynn XR+ w VTT Rail Kit
Landboard: Not a chance
Water: still trying
XXL

[*] posted on 8-17-2020 at 06:25 PM

Yes they do run big mine ha s bit to much room i really should buy smaller.

Quadrifoil 2
Quadrifoil 3
Quadrifoil XS
Vapor 2 3.2
Vapor 4.5
Vapor 2 5.2
Vapor 2 6.2
XXl quadrifoil
Vapor 2 8.6
Vapor2 10.1
Vapor 11.2
Vapor 13.4
Vapor 2 16.6
Pablo

Mood: Stoked

[*] posted on 8-17-2020 at 09:00 PM

It's odd, I have been buggying for many years, and I can't get comfortable in the buggy without using a harness setup. I like to run a lot of power, have a good stable buggy with deep side rails, and when I fly holding the handles all the pull when you load the kite up is put on my shoulders, this pull from up high makes it brutal on the muscles and seems to give the kite more leverage to overturn the buggy, now give me a seat harness and a good strop. Yes I use the wichard quick release and proper pully for safety. This puts the center of pull about an inch over the side rail of the buggy. if your buggy is sized properly the power should pretty much go from your harness directly to the buggy frame. With a wide buggy, your getting dragged sideways well before you get pulled over.

As I get older I'm moving more towards depowerable kites, just easier on the old body, but I still love the way the power is put directly to the ground instead of having to go through my body first.

Once again, make sure you have a proper quick release, there are lots of products that can release quickly and can handle the stress put on it, but make sure they can release under max working load. I hung my setup off the bottom of the sundeck and made sure I can release while my full body weight is hanging on it. I looked at the various pulley spreader bar style harnesses, but honestly those scare me. If you think you will be able to pull the handles in and get it unhooked from the pulley when under max load you may be in for a surprise. Once again, check your setup, if your hooked in, make sure you can get out with your full body weight on your setup. Keep in mind, I weight 300 lbs, if I'm going right and the kite goes hard left, there will be a lot more than 300 lbs of tension on the lines.

Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

0.7m / 1.4m / 2.0m PKD Buster I
4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio