Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Password Compromised
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 4-14-2020 at 09:00 AM
Password Compromised

Hi All

First thing I have to say is I'm not saying this happened here, no accusations.
I got an e-mail today that started out saying they had my password and told me what it was. It was correct and it is one I use on a few sites, this being one of them.
Basically they are blackmailing me by threatening to release a video taken from the camera on my computer. I'm not really concerned because I have had tape on the camera since I bought the computer. I also haven't performed on video as they suggest.
What I'm trying to do is track down where they got my e-mail and password, like I said it was the correct password for this site, I have changed it.
If anyone else gets an e-mail blackmailing you for around 3500, specifically 0.5 bitcoin can you let me know?

Thank You
Again I am not saying the breach was with this site, I'm just checking where I used this password.

Jon
cheezycheese

Mood: Ready for action !!!

[*] posted on 4-14-2020 at 09:37 AM

I have received similar email last month. However it did not contain any password info...

US888
PL- Aero v1 11m / Phantom 6/9/12/15/18
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
PKD - Century 2.5m, Soulfly 3.5m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
GT Rapide V/VTT-XR+ Special
markite

[*] posted on 4-14-2020 at 10:22 AM

okay, don't worry it's overall a scam. There are a number of ways that passwords are harvested and these emails are sent out all the time and many friends of as well as myself have received a similar emails. One friend called me all freaked out and said they had one of his passwords - I told him I had an email similar (although they didn't tell me any passwords) but my computer doesn't even have a camera so there is no way anyone even has a picture of me otherwise i would have asked for a copy of it as a keepsake - anyway don't panic, just ignore it and don't respond. they are of course looking to get a fish on the line.

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
Jack.Oh

[*] posted on 4-14-2020 at 10:31 AM

I got one about a month ago. However the password that they mentioned, was not any password I used or use. The email said they new everything about me... my car... where I live... and they threatened to infect my whole family with the corona virus if I did not pay bit coin.

US417
Custom buggy "Zephyr II"
Pansh A15 9m, 12m, 15m
Pansh Genesis 4m, 6m
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 4-14-2020 at 12:28 PM

Thanks guys

I'm not to panicked about it because while I do have a camera I placed a sticker I took off the computer when I bought it new over the computer, so I know a video is not possible.
I was a little worried about the password but like Markite has said they probably got the password and my e-mail through a site at some point. It is an old password that I've never changed. I only use it for sites like this so the absolute worst that could have happened is a hacked account on one of the sites I frequent.
Learning experience for me though, I'm recording my passwords and making every site password different. If it happens again I'll know where it came from.

Jon
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 4-14-2020 at 02:57 PM

My 2 cents..

First off I have always showed a warning in browser before www.powerkite forum:NOT SECURE.

, It's there normally which tells me this site is never secure but it's never been highlighted in RED,

It is right now!

Plus. several times in past my malware notification has popped up saying it blocked a trojan.

This site needs immediate security update I'm gettin' off now quick..!
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 4-14-2020 at 05:38 PM

My email got hacked today as well sending our bogus emails to most of the people in my contacts or people whom I've emailed in the last few months.

Blame it on Zoom... word on the street is that since so many folks are using Zoom these days for meetings and chats, folks are hacking into it... just be cautious of course.

I'm going to take a nap now
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 4-14-2020 at 06:27 PM

Soliver

Could be right about Zoom. I've been working at home and using Zoom for meetings 3 times a week. We had warnings about it and another button was added to kick hackers out of the meetings. I'm not 100% sure I used the password they stole there though, I'll change it anyway and see if I get a new e-mail to attempt blackmail.
markite

[*] posted on 4-26-2020 at 09:44 AM

hey a quick follow up - out of the blue cleaning out spam folder and noticed there was a similar email sitting there and it noted an odd password saying it was mine. It was a series of letters and numbers and wasn't one i would create but looked somewhat familiar because it was so unique. Checked my password list and that was the one issued to me for the NAPKA site. I think Rich had mentioned the site had been hacked and rebuilt so those old passwords are floating around

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
jantie

Mood: wind please!!

[*] posted on 4-26-2020 at 03:30 PM

Ask yourself: how would you blackmail someone?
I've received similar email but no proof of what is claimed.
Password retrieval is easy nowadays but I would at least send a picture in such a mail to make sure someone pays. But nobody of the yes millions receiving this mail has got one with actual proof.
Most common software are video-chat programs like house party where this occurs.
Just delete and continue kiting...

:D:D

doomwheels

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 6-14-2020 at 11:31 PM

This is an old scam that has been widely circulated. It is not a product of malware on the forum. Best advice is to ignore it.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio