Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Keeping my balance?
Ed Cline

Mood: Truth, Justice, and The American Way.

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 03:02 AM
Keeping my balance?

My 6 ply tires have served me well. On medium parking lot gravel they are a solution. That field is lost though, so now it's back to bumpy uneven grass.

I'm gonna need softer tires or tougher buttocks. The PL Rally I ride doesn't seem to have a big foot fork option so I'll be limited to barrows , midi size, or a mix.

On my barrows and on the 6plys I now use, my bug tires all break loose at once. When I'm holding the line and power up beyond that, the skid is controllable and even. And fun.

This is an accident or an angel, not my skill. Not so long ago I needed Angus? to tell me my front fork was on backwards, this should establish my credential as an expert :duh:

Finally the question. Can I mix a couple of Big foots or Beach Racers on the rear with a midi on the front :sniff: and somehow keep the bug in balance?

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
Cerebite

Mood: Is he using the same wind we are?

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 12:20 PM

I would be skeptical of mixing tire sizes as the contact patch will be different between the two sizes, particularly if you are running low pressures for suspension/ traction purposes.

NASA wings -1 to 12m [mostly KM4]
Foils -2 -12m [mostly PL & Pansh]
VTT Stinger on Midi's
Another day in Paradise...
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 03:48 PM

Thanks. Being careful is what I am doing :P
There's a few players on this forum who will know for sure what you can get away with and watch out for?
I'm guessing I'll end up on midis but hope against hope.

Thing is that the neck is adjusted almost all the way out , and the seats back pretty far, so I can't change the weight distribution much.

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
eric67m

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 07:29 PM

Some of the SOBB crew rides or has ridden bigfoots with a smaller front. I believe "buggeyed" rides with a midi in the front and "wind_dog" rode a Barrow on the front of his old buggy, both with bigfoots on the back. Thinking about it this is also on sand vs your grass location.

How many people in the world would also be interested in a bigfoot fork for the peter Lynn rally buggy?

Flying A mixed quiver of Flysurfer Peak kites.

Rollin in the Popeye The Welder Playa buggy.
Wind_dog

Mood: Itchin' for the beach

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 07:31 PM

On my original Flexi with long wide axle, I ran BFlites
on the back and a midi up front. Very well balanced on the beach. Not a significant change from all midis except I could get into some softer sand and ride was cushy.
16 inches up front and 21 inches in the back means you are always going downhill. That is faster! :D
Try it. You will like it.

Always on the steep part of the learning curve.
Gin Shaman2 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak1 6m, Peak2 9m,Peak4, 3m
Misc. other kites, never getting out of their bags.
Riding a Libre Fullrace with an AQR on the beach
Riding a Blokart inland when gust factor > 4
And a couple Manta Singles for friends to ride.
Blitzhound

Mood: I got a sickness, and the only cure is more Buggyin!

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 11:48 PM

I ran midi's in the back and a barrow in the front on my Vmax. It did make a noticeable difference on the beach. I can't speak to the grass. (16" all round.)

NAPKA US541
HQ: Beamer V 5.0m,
Best: Bularoo 7m, Waroo 9m, 12m
PKD: Inferno 9m, 12m, 16.5m,
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
Buggies: GT-Revolt, GT-RazR,
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 03:53 AM

Ed, while certainly not suggesting you get a new buggy, the Sysmic S3 has an optional build configuration like you are talking about with a midi up front and BFs in the rear:

http://www.buggykiteshop.com/index.php/buggy/sysmic-s3/sysmi...

I've got two sets of rims/tires (6-ply and BFs). I've got my 6-ply setup installed now since IBX was my last riding but it will be easy for me to slap on my BFs in the rear and have a seat in it and see how it feels being jacked up. Rick had it right I bet; going downhill would be faster!

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 04:44 AM

Thanks guys .
I don't think I want the California rake on my bug. I guess if I time the turn wrong the downhill momentum would carry me through the maneuver? :D

Good to hear that midi and bf feel the same except for soft sand.
Wonder what sand is like? Does it still get into everything?
Never bugged anywhere but small inland fields.

Mr Eric, Put me down for a Bigfoot fork in the poll.
I think it would fit the PL Rally and the Drifter interchangeably.
If it was gonna be custom made it might as well have a better foot peg arrangement too.
Hey if your going to wish, might as well go big.

Looking at Wind of Change it would only cost a few hundred for 4 tire assembly's complete.
Sure I checked out the Buggy Kite Shop, but black wheels are okay, and local is a plus.
Wind of Change is a fast ship with excellent customer service.

So I guess I'll wait a few days for a little exposure to my question, and look for a place to store the 4 6ply's for that day when a new field opens up somewhere.

Ed Cline

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 05:01 AM

Mr Steve,

I looked at the S buggy's. If I could change the balance like they can I know I could use mixed tires. The price is fair and the build is beautiful. My bug is 65 lbs all up.

Do you think I have room if I get shed of the Rally?

Mind you, no kite bags loaded up.:ninja:

ps Just noticed the spare in the lower left of the pic. That's where it is:puzzled:

Randy

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 05:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Windstruck  
Ed, while certainly not suggesting you get a new buggy, the Sysmic S3 has an optional build configuration like you are talking about with a midi up front and BFs in the rear:

http://www.buggykiteshop.com/index.php/buggy/sysmic-s3/sysmi...

I've got two sets of rims/tires (6-ply and BFs). I've got my 6-ply setup installed now since IBX was my last riding but it will be easy for me to slap on my BFs in the rear and have a seat in it and see how it feels being jacked up. Rick had it right I bet; going downhill would be faster!

Gee - this is making me think. My Minivan is getting ready for the glue factory (300k+ miles). So do I buy a new minivan at 40k or something, or by a folding kite buggy that fits in a suitcase for 1-2k$ and carry it around in my Honda civic??? Looks like the math would be in my favor....:lol:

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 07:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ed Cline  
Mr Steve,

I looked at the S buggy's. If I could change the balance like they can I know I could use mixed tires. The price is fair and the build is beautiful. My bug is 65 lbs all up.

Do you think I have room if I get shed of the Rally?

We can see sunlight streaming in from somewhere, so yes, you've got plenty of room in there. Glad you found your spare. ;)

Agreed on the allure of the S3 and the tantalizing concept of being able to (reasonably) conveniently disassemble your ride and get it as luggage on a plane. I fantasize often about flying with a kit to East Coast annual buggy gatherings and even to SOBB which realistically is a two day haul for me (it's "only" about a seven hour drive to Ivanpah or Alford from my home). Of course I'd likely have to swallow a tape worm to slim down for that ride. I'm well beyond it's upper weight limit. :saint:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio