Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 20.00 worth of warm.
Ed Cline

Mood: Truth, Justice, and The American Way.

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 02:30 PM
20.00 worth of warm.

kite buggy ninja

Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winter-Ski-Mask-Balaclava-Wind-Resi...

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
jeffnyc

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 03:38 PM

Those are awesome. Started using them in the 90's when I was hang gliding in the winter (you think it's cold on the ground? Try 4000 feet up with 50mph windspeed... my eyelashes used to freeze). Now I use them riding my bike around the city.
Looks like a decent one, and cheaper on Amazon. Anyone have a favorite brand? Snowkite season is quickly approaching here on the east coast...

Foil: Speed5 18+12 | Speed3 15 | Sonic2 9m | Peak 5 4m
Arc: Phantom I 12m+18m
LEI: LF WOW 9m
FB: Flux 5m | Bullet 4.5 | Blurr 3.5 + 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8
Ride: Flexi Haize | MBS core 90 | SS Vision 140 | Mako 140 + King 165 | King Gee | SS Hover Glide | WB 5'6" | Burton Floater
NAPKA NCC-US1701
tomdiving

Mood: thankful for this site

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 11:06 PM
how about gloves?

hey
just ordered one of these in hi-viz for my year-round bike riding in southeast michigan. thanks for the heads up on this item. hopefully it'll take the place of various beanies, neck gaiters, scarves, etc.
not to stray off topic very far...but... does anyone have any recommendations for winter gloves? i'm 6'1" and 145 lbs. not much insulation on me. felt pac boots have taken care of my frozen feet problem, but frozen fingers still plague me. i've invested many hundreds of dollars for alleged "amazing cold weather" gloves and have yet to find anything that works around zero F. i stay around 8mph, which is a problem because i'm not really generating any heat, i'm only losing it.
i'll soon do my annual glove search for the latest and greatest unless someone here can steer me into something that actually works as advertised.
thanks!
tom
tomdiving@yahoo.com
rtz

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 12:00 AM

Milwaukee has some heated gloves out.

I asked recently and seems like mittens are the ultimate. I personally think they just don't insulate the fingers on gloves well enough so far to make them really good.

Some really good info here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/115998078419854/permalink/21...

These gloves may well be the ultimate: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&searc...

I just got some deerskin mittens to test out. If they don't do it; I'll get some mits like the gloves linked above.

Sting 1.7, 2.4 - Flow 2, 3, 4, 5 - Reactor 2.2, 2.8, 3.5, 4.4, 5.5 - Yakuza 2.2, 2.7 - JOJO 9
rtz

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 12:22 AM

I haven't found any ultimate Balaclava yet. The problem I have with most gear that covers the face is fogging up any sunglasses I'm wearing.

What I have found to work really well is get a fleece scarf. Works great for keeping the cold wind off the face.

http://a.co/d/14acjQE

or

http://a.co/d/3uHultt

Here I am partially ninja'd up winter 16/17(didn't have a lakebed last winter or this winter):

And more so. If it was really cold I'd wrap that scarf around my head a few times and put the hood on to hold it in place.

A cell phone pic of me towing someone taken from a kiteboarder from the actual shoreline.

And another:

Sting 1.7, 2.4 - Flow 2, 3, 4, 5 - Reactor 2.2, 2.8, 3.5, 4.4, 5.5 - Yakuza 2.2, 2.7 - JOJO 9
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 03:58 AM

peak edition? not worth the 25.00 cause you can't see it under my helmet :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Made-Balaclava-Thermal-Pol...

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 04:59 AM

I've used BlackStrap brand balaclavas for years for skiing and snow kiting (wait for it.. before my freak gasoline fight accident permanently sidelined me from snow kiting) and they are first rate. They are available in a zillion colors and four styles and can be bought on Amazon, Backcountry, etc., wherever fine things are sold.

I own the model called The-Hood that is a thick single layer of stretchy synthetic material. Their model called Expedition is dual layered and would be super warm if that's what you really needed. I would recommend the single layer if you're going to be active and exerting yourself like for snow kiting but maybe the dual layered one if you are going to be sitting in a buggy.

One of the things that make the BlackStrap really nice is that they have a so-called hinged design as compared to just an oval for your pie hole. The hinge lets you slide the lower part of the balaclava off of your face and down onto your neck which lets you customize the amount of heat saving you want.

BlackStrap balaclavas

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Randy

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 05:39 AM

I keep a windsurfing hooded vest in my car if I need some extra warmth.

88468_BLK.jpg - 19kB

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 06:31 AM

Thanks Steve, wonder why I didn't stumble across these BS hats first :)

To clear up a technical point These are the two types of Baklava, thick for bugging and the other for the snow creatures with boards on their feet.

tomdiving

Mood: thankful for this site

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 10:05 AM
fogging glasses

pick up some baby shampoo from the trial products area of your local CVS, etc. small bottles, which last a lifetime, are usually a buck.
use one drop between your thumb and forefinger and smear it on both sides of each lens. RINSE OFF ONLY, do not wipe dry with a cloth. i'll shake my glasses and blow the extra water off.
my glasses stay fog free for many multiple-hour rides before i have to repeat the process.
cannot remember where i read this, but i had some baby shampoo already and tried it, skeptically. it works great.
or, go spend big bucks for anti fog products at a scuba shop or other sporting goods shop.
don't know why baby shampoo was specified. i would have tried normal shampoo if i didn't have the baby type available, but didn't have to do that.

as for mittens on bike rides - it's difficult to work the brakes and shift levers with them. i've also tried pogies, which haven't really worked out very well.
tom
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 10:26 AM

This thread could be retitled Warm gear for Winter kiting. So I'll add my 2 cents and keep this going...

FACE:
Those who wear glasses have a problem with fog when covering your mouth. :ninja:

You need a mouth hole to freely expel warm damp air or it will rise under the face mask ,scarf, and fog glasses fairly quickly in many cases. Even with a mouth hole I have had problems if you don't purse your lips right to clear blow hole...but a mouth hole makes huge difference.

What also can stop fog on glasses is wearing snug ski googles over glasses in combination with half face mask..and full face ones(may not snug as well). If good fit the google will seal off the rising expelled damp air. But even still.. glasses under goggles-and/or goggles themselves-can fog up even in some cases from perspiration under goggles, or breathe rising up under poor seal of goggle frame.

Those 20/20 folks who wear no corrective lenses need only worry about foggy googles, and have it lots easier the eyeglass wearers, for sure. :cool:

Using anti-fog liquid/paste polish on glasses and googles can also help with fogging

You need right venting. That's freely expelled air , vented googles(good ones. Some come w/ mini- fans even!). Also, don't be over-dressed and over-perspiring.

I typically switch to wearing contacts just for winter outings and use googles or sunglasses depending on how cold it is...or if it's snowing.

I like Neoprene or Neoprene /fleece face masks because they absorb less moisture and won't lose heat value. Polarfleece can get quite damp where you breathe. Here's a good example of a neoprene and fleece half mask.

https://www.skicountrysports.com/seirus/seirus-neoprene-comb...

GLOVES:

Lots can be said. Need good fit, well insulated(Thinsulate, poly, fleece ) , good dexterity, waterproof.

Waterproof breathable is preferred by most outdoor enthusiasts. If it's just waterproof like ones suggested :https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&searc... just be aware that after a certain amount of time moisture will build up(hands sweat!) and you will lose some heat value . Extra liner will help to swithch out.

If You are going to go this route, I might suggest a Vapor barrier liner. Put nitrite exam gloves on first and then slip them in the gloves., Moisture will not get into the glove lining/insulation. Your skin might be a bit damp but they'll be warm and the gloves will stay dry and hold 100% of their DRY heat value.

I use vapor barrier with Waterproof breathable gloves.They work well there too. The vapor barrier(exam glove) barrier actually can increase the warmth of the glove by stopping evaporative heat loss. Some may not like the sometimes clammy feeling but if using the waterproof and not breathable gloves your hand eventually will get clammy if the moisture build in time.

One more plus about wearing a Vapor barrier nitrite glove is you can take hand out of glove a still have some protection and limited heat retension for a short while while you adjust a line or some other fine dexterity work. Vapor barrier stops both and evaporative heat loss and convection-I think.

Only know , works for me!

NOTE:
Do NOT use LATEX exam gloves for vapor barriers. They will dissolve tear from contact with winter lip/skin cream/balms(that
are Petroleum based).
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 10:19 AM

THIS JUST IN

I haven't tried it, but this balaclava looks to have all the Arctic bells and whistles:

Extreme facemask

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
jeffnyc

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 11:14 AM

Hattori Hanzo katana sold separately.

Foil: Speed5 18+12 | Speed3 15 | Sonic2 9m | Peak 5 4m
Arc: Phantom I 12m+18m
LEI: LF WOW 9m
FB: Flux 5m | Bullet 4.5 | Blurr 3.5 + 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8
Ride: Flexi Haize | MBS core 90 | SS Vision 140 | Mako 140 + King 165 | King Gee | SS Hover Glide | WB 5'6" | Burton Floater
NAPKA NCC-US1701

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio