Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to ship a buggy overseas ?
khaakon

Mood: In one of his moods, again..

question.gif posted on 9-17-2018 at 04:16 AM
How to ship a buggy overseas ?

I am going to Cape Town for 3 weeks in november. I'd like to find out if I can ship my buggy from Norway to ZA and back, without it getting too complicated or expensive. If anybody has any recommandations for a shipping company, or if anybody has any experience about declarations and other formalities I need to tackle when sending sports equipment from Europe to South Africa.

I will be staying close to the kitesurfers at Bloubergstrand /Big Bay, but I am more of a landlubber, and want to kite with buggy or ATB. I am not even sure if can rent a buggy in Cape Town - maybe goodhopeadventures. But I would really like to have my own buggy if at all possible. If anyone knows about anybody I can contact for buggying on the beaches down there, it would be absolutely faaaantastic.

# Flysurfer Peak 4 /4/5/6/8/11/13m -FS Connect bars # FS P5 6/8m -FS Connect bar
# Flysurfer Speed 5 /9m # Ozone Subzero /7m # 3, 6 & 12m line ext. # Ozone Ignition /2.5m trainerkite
# Sysmic S3 buggy # Black Crows skis
# Underwave Atlantis seat harness w/Dynabar, 2 steel rings sliding on rope # POC helmet & G-Form pads
# DJI Mini3 pro Drone
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 02:49 PM

Try and conact Kiteboyza . Dieter is from South Africa and buggies. I know he kitesurfed there.

If he does not reply I can contact Him on facebook for you.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 04:51 PM

I gotta believe it would cost you an arm and a leg to get a buggy to and from South Africa from Northern Europe, not to mention the hassle and stress wondering if everything would go well. In your shoes I'd be contacting this outfit and seeing if they could rent you a buggy. I suspect they are sort of beginner PL buggies (from the pictures on their website) but they would get you rolling. You're a SS deciple so you could bring a few Peaks, Stars, one bar, and your harness in a checked bag and be all set if you could get wheels under you.

Good luck! Could be a lot of fun.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
khaakon

[*] posted on 9-18-2018 at 12:49 AM

Yes, it's probably too expensive, and slow as well. But I've yet to find out exactly.

Hopefully I can rent a buggy, if shipping my own gets too expensive. I don't have an arm and a leg to spare.

# Flysurfer Peak 4 /4/5/6/8/11/13m -FS Connect bars # FS P5 6/8m -FS Connect bar
# Flysurfer Speed 5 /9m # Ozone Subzero /7m # 3, 6 & 12m line ext. # Ozone Ignition /2.5m trainerkite
# Underwave Atlantis seat harness w/Dynabar, 2 steel rings sliding on rope # POC helmet & G-Form pads
# DJI Mini3 pro Drone
cheezycheese

Mood: Ready for action !!!

[*] posted on 9-18-2018 at 05:17 AM

What about a golf bag carry on...?

US888
PL- Aero v1 11m / Phantom 6/9/12/15/18
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
PKD - Century 2.5m, Soulfly 3.5m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
GT Rapide V/VTT-XR+ Special
khaakon

[*] posted on 9-18-2018 at 06:39 AM

Don't think I can fit the whole buggy in such a bag, wheels are 3x Midi XL 19". My friend in ZA also meant that the cost (of separate shipping) is probably too high for the benefit. Given, of course, that I actually can rent a buggy down there and cruise the beaches. I will contact goodhopeadventures anyday soon. But I still would like to find out what the cost is for shipping a crate of sorts. My guess would be I could build one in say; 150x50x 60(?)/ 75(?) cm size, weight >50kg.

# DJI Mini3 pro Drone
jimbocz

[*] posted on 9-19-2018 at 02:27 AM

I've taken my buggy on a plane in a golf bag. Took a few kites as well, but I had barrow wheels.
Would recommend renting one when you get there if at all possible.
kiteboyza

[*] posted on 9-29-2018 at 01:52 PM

My buggy splits and fits in a hockey bag, 140cm axle. I pay for an extra bag, simple as that. Its a fairly big buggy,
Hope this helps

Retired Pansh Racer, comes without instruction manual
khaakon

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 11:50 AM

Yes, thanks guys. It's clear to me now that international shipping is quite expensive. Even the generally steep charges for special baggage at any airline becomes cheap comparably. Furthermore I then bring it with, instead of organizing pickup & deliver at some terminal somewhere, and the long wait for shipping, and, and, and..

I ended up not bringing or shipping the buggy, but 1 extra bag full with kites for the cost of 1 additional baggage with KLM.

I've been in contact with Matt at Goodhopeadventures, certainly seems a friendly guy, unfortunately he's got only 1 buggy - but hopefully I can rent it for some days during the almost 3 weeks I'll be in CT. Looking forward to a nice holiday with kiting on the beaches in the ZA sun. :cool:

# DJI Mini3 pro Drone

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio