Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PL Twister of PL hornet
fryeBE

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 03:46 AM
PL Twister of PL hornet

I'm looking for my first kite.
I've done some lessons a few years ago with kitesurf. It was Fun but very expansive.

So I'm looking for a kite for on the beach. Doing jumps and maybe landboard.

Peter Lynn hornet or Peter Lynn twister.
The budget is around 300euro.

With this budget I can buy hornet 5m or twister 4m.

But what's the difference between them? With 50euro more I can buy 5.5 twister but what's the main difference in length?

Ed Cline

Mood: Truth, Justice, and The American Way.

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 04:25 AM

I've owned and flown the 3m twister and the 5.5.. Both will lift you and the 5.5 will set you down, the 3 might drop you. If you insist on jumping you'll need a 5.5.

Wear your crash gear. Knees and elbows especially, for when you get dragged.
Keep your cell phone within crawling range or go with a friend who drives.

Most here aren't big fans of jumping from a standing start. With a board under you as a landing gear it's a little safer. Even well experienced flyers get hurt though.

My 3m cracked a rib, the 5.5 tested my pads a few times and I sold the twister quiver. Including a little used 7.7m
If you were to give up the jumping idea for awhile, the 3m Twister is fast, fun and does tricks.
Dive it at the ground and stop it dead about 2m off the deck, watch it sit there steady as a rock u till you are ready for your next move.

Kiting ain't no place for heroes. One opinion you can ignore, see what the rest of the bunch thinks?

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 06:21 AM

welcome aboard:thumbup::thumbup:
imo...find any used or inexpensive 3m if u can & fly the snot out of it
than we go bigger

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 08:46 AM

Don't think about jumping with a kite until you have a lot of experience just flying it...being dragged by the heels(scudding) first....then get on a land board if you want.

You CAN get injured jumping. Very experienced people have , never mind newer fliers.

What total experience do you have with power kites? Did you ever go beyond just kitesurf lessons and kite surf yourself?

Take it in steps. A 3m is a good FIRST KITE learning size. a 5m is too much in strong winds. You will need more than one later to handle different wind speeds.
fryeBE

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 02:10 PM

Hi,

I guess i'm going to fast as an unexperienced person.
I only had some beach lessons with kite surf.
First day with a 6m kite. Last day with a 12m kite.
But never been on the water due bad winds.

I have got only a 1 hour experience with a power kite. It wasn't to big so I guess 2.5m kite.

Only did a few small jumps :D but mainly just being dragged.

I guess the 4m twister will be the best buy than?
Don't do jumps before I know how the kite responds.

Land board wasn't on my first mind but after a few years maybe.

Thanks for all your messages.
I'm aware now of the dangerous side!
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 06:54 PM

Sounds like you may likely have handled a 6 and 12 meter kite for kitesurfing (Inflatable Leading Edge-LEI..?) while on the sand...?

Please keep in mind the kites used on the water are different than the FOIL kites used on land like a twister.

DO NOT use the sizes and power generated by Kitesurf(LEI's or other kitesurf) kites to the same size measure as power generated by FOIL( or Fixed Bridal -FB ) kites-such as a Twister- for guidance. Very different power comparing same sizes of each type.

Why are those two 4m and 5m kites your only choices? Is there a special sale somewhere? A 3m is still a good first size... and typically a bit better than a 4m.

You might find the right USED kite somewhere online also if you are budgeted. Ask on here if you find a potential buy, again- BEFORE YOU BUY. Folks here will say yay or nay, so you don't get wrong choice.

fryeBE

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 11:23 PM

Hi,

Yes it was a kite for kitesurfing.
I know this is very different.

I tought picking a 4m was better over 3m for the future.
Not going too quickly at my limits.

My weight is also +- 200lbs so I tought I needed a 4m.

Thanks for your answers.
Will look for smaller one (3m).
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 06:03 AM

:thumbup: everyone needs a 3m

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio