Printable Version  
Author: Subject: JIBE 2018 Video(s) *UPDATED*
mougl

Mood: Stoked for JIBE!!!

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 01:54 PM
JIBE 2018 Video(s) *UPDATED*

https://vimeo.com/272256854

https://vimeo.com/272276984

The first is a general overview of the event, the second is a shameless POV ride with me.

I have more footage to get thru, will post as I finish videos.

US357
PB: 53.1 mph

Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 04:17 PM

Awesome video man! I saw Mark 's buggy and kite going for a deadman turn, and then I realized that was when I snapped the (way too thin) lines and got bit by the jumping jellyfish of Jekyll Island!

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
Randy

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 04:35 PM

That was great! Keep them coming!

NPW Test Pilot -US99
mougl

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Demoknight  
Awesome video man! I saw Mark 's buggy and kite going for a deadman turn, and then I realized that was when I snapped the (way too thin) lines and got bit by the jumping jellyfish of Jekyll Island!

I thought you'd like that!!! I couldn't help myself, I HAD to put it in there!:lol::lol::lol:

US357

mougl

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Randy  
That was great! Keep them coming!

Thanks!!!! I haven't fully figured out the software yet. The transitions are wayyyyy off but I'm working on them :lol::lol::lol::lol:

US357

mougl

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 04:47 PM

US357

soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 05:14 PM

Hey, they blocked your second vid for copyrighted content :mad:

I'm going to take a nap now
mougl

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 05:17 PM

Figures.....time to upgrade Vimeo and upload there....stand by!

US357

mougl

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 05:36 PM

uploaded to vimeo

US357

jrhook

Mood: skeptical yet hopeful...thnx Ines

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 06:44 PM

oh, a video thread...

https://youtu.be/t-7REf1QBHc

US83
PL Hornet 2m with permission
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
MBS Comp 95 & Michelin Man Padding
mougl

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 06:57 PM

Great video jrhook!!!!

US357

markite

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 08:33 PM

I did a quick search and found this manual to show how easy it is to do deadmans fast with thinner line - looked up trouble shooting and found this warning: CAUTION excessive beard abrasion may lead to line breaks. Apply liberal brewers lubricant to beard and lines before putting lines under high pressure

NOTE I think it needs to be viewed full screen otherwise it cuts off parts of the video and for some reason it changed Videod By Ines Abbey to Directed by me. This was all video by Ines

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
mougl

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 08:57 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

US357

Randy

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 05:01 AM

:thumbup::thumbup: And the hits just keep on coming!!

NPW Test Pilot -US99
markite

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 06:32 AM

Good vids Scott, still waiting to see anyone who caught you in full pirate mode doing a rum run

Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by markite  

I did a quick search and found this manual to show how easy it is to do deadmans fast with thinner line - looked up trouble shooting and found this warning: CAUTION excessive beard abrasion may lead to line breaks. Apply liberal brewers lubricant to beard and lines before putting lines under high pressure

NOTE I think it needs to be viewed full screen otherwise it cuts off parts of the video and for some reason it changed Videod By Ines Abbey to Directed by me. This was all video by Ines

Haha! I think the combination of me being slow to turn the buggy into the kite at the very end, as well as not getting the kite ready to upturn, (and maybe an extra 50+lbs of ballast in the buggy seat) all contributed to the demise of your lines. That was great fun though!

If you ever kick the bucket before me, I am going to work on convincing Fiona that you would want me to have your chameleon and kites.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
mougl

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by markite  
Good vids Scott, still waiting to see anyone who caught you in full pirate mode doing a rum run

I'm waiting for that as well!!!

US357

Ed Cline

Mood: Truth, Justice, and The American Way.

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 03:28 PM

It's not compulsory or anything. Are you willing to describe the "dead mans turn" to me.
I've been watching and collecting 360 vids with the idea that I might do one myself.

I got the low and smooth comment, I also heard turn toward the kite at some point, but I just can't figure how to put it together. I've never even turned upwind successfully so I've a way to go.

If it's too hard to put in words I'll understand maybe you could point me toward the how of this brilliant maneuver.

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 03:41 PM

Pretty sure it requires a higher Aspect Ratio kite. Basically you are moving the opposite direction of the kite. You make a small circle in the buggy whilst the kite makes an even larger circle around you going the opposite direction. The kite has to be higher aspect ratio because it needs to be able to generate its own apparent wind as it spends half of its travel completely outside of the wind window. I think it ends with turning the kite back over with an up turn sonits headed back the same direction as you original heading... that's my best description, but markite is the master so he may do much better describing it.... I've never attempted one as I don't think I have ever had a kite that could accomplish it.

I'm going to take a nap now
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 03:55 PM

Thanks, I didn't think about my kites, probably tough with a nasa.
I saw a static flyer do it on handles with a foil, wonder if the quadrifoil comp 4m is long enough? Too pretty to crash, almost.

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ed Cline  
Too pretty to crash, almost.

Hey that's just what my mom said to me when I told her I was buying a buggy! :smilegrin:

markite

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 07:28 PM

Spencer has it described fairly accurately. If you were looking straight down from above, the path of the buggy would be close to a big number 6 (this is going the direction as in my video above with kite to my left side). I find a good amount of speed helps and then the surface you are on needs to be fast enough to keep up buggy speed. I've done them on the dry lake, smooth hardpack beaches, asphalt and one ice with a buggy on blades. It helps if the kite is faster or at least likes to sit out front in the wind window so a kite with good upwind ability. I've pulled them of with different fixed bridle kites and arcs.
You want to get a decent amount of speed but not going for all out top speed. When you spot the area wide enough to pull it off you want to make sure the kite is nicely pressured and not feeling light or a bit lazy. Take the kite slightly higher to give room to do a downturn so the kite turns down and under coming out low pointed the opposite direction. As you do the downturn with the kite start to turn your buggy slightly downwind and as the kite powers through the downturn you steer an arc downwind keeping pressure on the kite lines. Each arc of travel will be slightly different dependant on kite, how much speed you started with, line length etc. The pressure on you as a pilot isn't going to rip you out of the buggy it's a moment of increased speed/pressure and then it's lighter pressure trying to figure out your arc of steering to keep the kite flying through it's upwind arc of travel. If you cut too tight the lines will slacken and kite will loose speed and drop in a ball. If you didn't start with enough speed you will find you start the arc and then keep driving away from the kite to keep the lines tight and you head straight downwind and pull the kite into a stall and again drag a ball of nylon across the ground. As the buggy curves downwind and the kite passes upwind there is a moment when it either passes that point quickly with a fast kite or the kite starts to stall and you may be able to save it by coaxing the top lines as long as the buggy is rolling you may get the kite through that area.

When you are 2/3 of the way around the arc of the buggy becomes a tighter circle (again from the air straight down it looks like a number 6 where you have started at the top, gone CCW starting at 12:00 around past 9:00, 6:00 and coming up to 4:00 position). This is the part where you need to be on your toes and make a quick decision. The kite is off to the side and slightly behind you pointing the opposite direction and has just passed it's slowest upwind point and is just starting to feel like it wants to fly again. As far as the kite is concerned it is now entering the far side of the original wind window and it's getting ready to rip across the full width of the wind window and if you are not careful this is where it can get fully behind you and rip you out of the buggy. As the power starts to come on you are now doing a tight curve in the buggy and you want to get the buggy pointed toward the kite so as the power comes on it's pulling you forward and not totally sideways or backwards.

That was the tricky part and now one of two options: 1) continue a tight turn and follow the kite so you come out going the opposite direction to when you started the move or 2) as in the video I posted as the kite powers I turned toward the kite and brought the kite high and then turned it back the other direction and then adjusted buggy angle again so I ended going the same direction as I started.

They are actually fairly easy to do and once you do that downturn with the kite the first time and start to play with buggy speed you'll find it's not at all an overpowering manoeuvre, it's more finesse of steering and the usual beating is done to the kite figuring out the right steering direction and speed needed so you don't drag your kite on the ground too much or run over the lines.
Have fun, give a go with all kinds of kites, the right conditions and you'll have a smile on your face in no time - just prepare for that power to come on quickly after the moment of light pressure - don't be too mesmorized with your brilliant move and forget to turn toward the kite

Ed Cline

[*] posted on 5-30-2018 at 04:53 AM

Whoa. Cut paste and save. I thank you. I'm sure someone else who was as confused as me thanks you.
Every now and then the magician does share, ovation.
With this description and my little toys, I'll work it our.

markite

[*] posted on 5-30-2018 at 05:26 AM

just made a couple of small grammar corrections and one point where i was talking about line pressure and I had written as you head off upwind but corrected to say as you head downwind and stall the kite - so do a resave - also might help if you had a sheet of paper or two more skewers representing the wind window in a wide V so you will get a sense of when the kite is in and out of the window of actual wind vs apparent wind

Sorry i should move to this to a new topic out of the video thread

Ed Cline

[*] posted on 5-30-2018 at 08:59 AM

I and I think we, will take it where it is and be grateful. Besides, later on when I'm the 360 god, I'll want to post it and take credit for how I figured it all out!:cool:

3shot

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 5-30-2018 at 10:34 AM

Great videos guys!!

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24
4, 5, 6m ATB landsurfer. Custom longboard deck
Buggy: VTT Black Widow v2.0

http://hint.fm/wind/

Go To Top