Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: UniQ Quad to replace C-Quad for land boarding?

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 12:03 PM

15-20 mph winds today, blowing cross-shore, so not ideal. So I left the reactor in its bag and took out the CQ3.2 with new lines (from the reactor) and the Peter Lynn longhorn bar.

Decent session, I'll post a link to some vids later that my wife took. I'm quite small though haha!

Wind too strong to feel confident launching the reactor until I get used to how it flies. Next trip maybe...

I also got pulled off the board at one point, and have sprained my left knee...grrrr...
Fun though!
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 05:00 AM

I would not use a 8.6 Reactor in 15-20mph winds...:o...too much kite in too strong a wind range...

.....be careful.

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 01:05 PM

Don't worry, the reactor 8.6 was an experimental purchase, and I expect it to be used for winds around the 10mph mark.

Here's a vid of me wrestling with the CQ3.2 in 15-20mph (estimated) for those interested in how it tows along a land board:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pg0fqjc9t772jnx/2018-04-04%2017.14...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkc19kc81ptlpnj/2018-04-04%2017.13...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06gbns5s547s8yg/2018-04-04%2017.12...

Not the best example, the run was short, out to sea and back, but good for some front side carving whilst flying the kite back across the wind-window.
I also totally forgot how amazing the CQ is upwind. I literally have to force myself to do some downwind turns, otherwise I was just migrating further and further upwind on each run back and forth.

I also forgot just how stable the CQ is against luffing at the window edges. And initiating a turn to repower the kite is so fast.

I really want a decent day to try to learn how to handle the reactor...but I'm not sure when this will be now.
jeffnyc

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 01:45 PM

Nice - you really get moving on that. Good bit of beach to work with too.

If you have a YouTube account, you can embed videos directly. Hit the "Preview Post" button to get to the options, click the YouTube button, paste your link, then delete everything before (and including) the =, leaving you with a string of random looking letters/numbers. Preview Post again to make sure it worked.
If not, dropbox worked fine. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you do with the Reactor. :D

Foil: Speed5 18+12 | Speed3 15 | Sonic2 9m | Peak 5 4m
Arc: Phantom I 12m+18m
LEI: LF WOW 9m
FB: Flux 5m | Bullet 4.5 | Blurr 3.5 + 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8
Ride: Flexi Haize | MBS core 90 | SS Vision 140 | Mako 140 + King 165 | King Gee | SS Hover Glide | WB 5'6" | Burton Floater
NAPKA NCC-US1701
Cerebite

Mood: Is he using the same wind we are?

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 12:07 PM

"- obviously large difference in size between the 3.2 and the 8m Reactor!"

that probably is not as significant a difference as it would appear initially. The Rev Power Blasts are actually marketed with two size numbers the actual size and the size that it "flies like." I have a 4 -8 which means that it has 4 m of actual area in the framed kite but, due to the framing, it flies like an 8 m.

NASA wings -1 to 12m [mostly KM4]
Foils -2 -12m [mostly PL & Pansh]
VTT Stinger on Midi's
Another day in Paradise...

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 12:52 PM

Hmmm...that's an interesting point...nevertheless I'll still feel much more comfortable working up to higher winds for the Reactor. As it stands I can barely fly the thing without it collapsing haha! I'm really not sure how you foil flyers do it...

Your comment also suggests that my CQ6.3 may pull like a 12m foil lol! I've certainly had my best boarding days with the 6.3. Steadier power delivery, not as fast or as aggressive as the 3.2, and a bit more of a floaty feel to it. I'm kind of hoping that the 8m Reactor will tick some of those boxes but in a much easier package to travel with.

Sadly...it'll be many months until I'm back on a beach like that to try it out :(
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio