Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: PTW Playa - evolution 2
eric67m

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:49 PM
PTW Playa - evolution 2

Big posts with lots of words and pictures are difficult to post from my phone without crashing. Bear with me, I'll get there with several posts.

Short story.

I wanted a big buggy. I bought the Popeye the Welder, Playa buggy and built a fork for Bigfoot lite tires.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

More to come.

Flying A mixed quiver of Flysurfer Peak kites.

Rollin in the Popeye The Welder Playa buggy.
eric67m

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:49 PM

Long story

Well since November I have managed to remained quiet about this...

I am the new owner of the Popeye the Welder Playa buggy. Some things have changed, so read on.

Originally Popeye made the Playa buggy and the Viper for Mike (MDK) in Idaho. When Mike sold the Viper buggy it sold with the beach racer tires and the swan neck that fit both the Viper and the Playa buggies.

Back in November Blitzhound, John ,contacted me to see if I was interested in purchasing a buggy that he recently picked up. John knew I was looking for a full sized buggy with big tires on it. John had bought the playa buggy on barrow tires from MDK in hopes that it would fit his brother. The playas width tuned out to be too narrow for his brother.

John offered it up to me but he was keeping the sysmic rims that were originally on the buggy. I would get it on standard black Peter Lynn wheels and ribbed barrow tires.

There was some miscommunication about the sizing of the buggy. John gave me the measurement of between the buggies metal rails, he measured it without the padding, and I was assuming it was with padding and the seat. After I got the buggy I also realized that a Peter lynn divine harness adds about 1.25-1.5" to the width of your hips, right where the siderails hit me.

I first realized that the buggy would need to be widened I removed the side name plates and the rear back support (added by MDK?). I moved the rear siderails to the outside of the axle mounts. This was still not enough. I ended up adding 3/8 to 1/2" at the back of the buggy and 1 to 1-1/8" at the front. I decided to do these as spacers vs cutting off the axle plates to relocate and re-weld them. I would have needed to extend the siderails at the swan neck to add to the spacing. Hopefully the spacers will work properly and still allow the buggy to be returned to its original state. The thicker front spacers are hollow rectangular stainless steel tubing to save on weight.

After I got my spacing sorted out I made a new cross bar before the axle to strap the seat too (this also needed to be wider) I adjusted the buggy so it was set up on the barrow tires. This buggy sits really low compared to my Flexifoil Navaro.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

eric67m

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:50 PM

I measured out the wheelbase with the barrow tire for reference when I would add the Bigfoot lite tires.

Next I purchased Bigfoot lites (Nanco 21x12x8) and put them on a set of Peter Lynn plastic wheels that I had extra. I also got 45 degree valve stems to easier access then while inflating. I had trouble mounting one of them because the two seating surfaces were not concentric. I ended up removing the valve core. Modifying my inflater to clamp into the stem and also have a 90 degree on/off valve. I coated the beads with Windex and manipulated the beads until I got air into it. Removing the valve core meant that I could quickly depressurise the tire and rim to prevent damage to the rim at the higher seating pressure.

I removed the barrow front fork and wheel. Then I put the Nanco bfl's on the rear axle and placed the front wheel in approximate position according to my previous wheelbase dimension. I ended up adjusting the original swan neck from its lower adjustment point up to its upper adjustment angle. I then took more measurements of the seat height and swan neck angles.....

Hopefully at the spring SOBB event I will be able to borrow John Ellis's tire grooving tool to add some cuts for more side grip.

eric67m

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:50 PM

I played with these numbers and previous buggy drawings that I had done at work on theoretical dream buggies created in Solidworks. I then designed a fork that I liked the styling of. The fork was inspired by a Libre Majestic and GT Rapide++.

I then purchased 1" sch 10 304 stainless steel pipe
(1.32x0.11 wall). I polished it out, packed it with sand and static bent it on my works Ercolina CE40 rolling bending machine. Cut it to my full sized drawing. Then I talked my employer into cutting the 7 parts I needed for my fork on the companies water jet cutter. I polished all these pieces out at my work before welding them together. The bottom of the axle plate is flat to the ground, the photo angle makes it appear to angle downward, it doesn't...

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

You may notice the ETC several places on the fork. I figured that since this is a PTW buggy (Popeye The Welder) that as a semi joke I would have ETC on my fork. ETC could stand for (Eric The Copycat) or (Eric The Creator)...

I created a basic fixture/jig to fit and weld the upper crown pieces to the lower bent legs. Then I created a
fixture/jig for adding the lower axle plates and foot peg plates. I welded everything up.

I purchased one of the monster scooter MB165 front fenders. To modify it I ended up using 2" of soft foam inbetween the tire and the fender. I strapped around the circumference with a ratchet strap to compress the center ridge of the fender and flare the outer edges wider. This was not easy. It required a lot of heat with a great gun claiming a high heat of 1100 degree. And also took a bunch of time heating and clamping and re-tightening. I did over heat it in several places and I needed to re-paint the fender to get rid of some of the lighter red color spots. I used rust-olium safety red enamel. I then tried to spray lacquer clear coat over it. The combo of enamel and lacquer immediately crackled and crazed. I sanded it out with 800 grit and then decided I liked the matte look. I think it actually looks nice with the sheen of the buggy bags side rail covers. I do worry that the fender is too tight of fit and may suck up sand and propel it forward and up. Moving the axle forward a position on the fork should eliminate that problem but not look as fitted

eric67m

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:51 PM

I re-assembled the buggy to weigh it before and after the wheel swap. It weighed 92lbs on barrows and weighs 102lbs on Bigfoot lites with a fender.

I repolished everything back up and re-assembled the buggy. Many parts only got polished so much, the rear axle has many dings and pock marks from either the Alvord playa surface or traveling on a vehicle.

I still need to add the side plates, carbon belly pan and under rod for my AQR system.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I am pleased with how the buggy came out visually. I still need to take it out for my maiden voyage on it. Hopefully it will ride reasonably. I also hope that Carlos "Popeye" finds my modifications acceptable.

Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 03:28 AM

Wow! She is a beauty. Nice work, and a fine story to read through. Congratulations. She will be a true pleasure to ride in. I am always most interested in reading about such "creative" journeys. "Creative" since copycat hardly seems to give it justice. I particularly liked the trapazoidal slits on the brace of your front fork; that was a great touch.

I don't blame John one bit for holding onto those Sysmic rims. Down the road grabbing a set of them for yourself would really pimp out this ride.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
RedSky

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 03:19 PM

Your posts read like the lyrics to Johnny Cash' "one piece at a time", except yours turned out to be a stunner! Nice work, truly nice work.
Popeye will approve for sure. LOve that sand guard. Kinda jealous. I'd like that for my bug. You're forgiven for keeping this hidden from us these past few months. Welcome to the exclusive PTW club. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PS: Carl is of a slender build. I had to remove the padding on mine just to squeeze in, but using depower meant they weren't needed anyway...and as a consequence, there's more chrome on display. :D

LOve it

abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 07:33 PM

yea nice bug:thumbup::thumbup:
forks great,,matte really works
all in on the ETC:thumbup:

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
Chook

Mood: I work at home from 8.00am to 12 knots

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 06:10 AM

Looks great, very well done. :thumbup:

I always like a low CofG (seat height) so I can hold down more kite.

Chook_thumb_JPG_4d38fddf1bbccb5ba96c21550ac85659.jpg - 49kB

Modified Sysmic S2 Buggys
7m R1
8m R1 2
11m R1
15m R1
15m Chrono 2
18m Chrono
18m ELF
eric67m

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 11:17 PM

Thank you all, and others by u2u and email for your kind words. I like Johnny cash and take no offence to my story sounding that way. Just the facts...I usually get a few 15-30 minutes time spans within a day that "my projects" happen in. They are always fabrication related and quite often kite related. I just like building things and I don't mind documenting it to possibly help others figure out how to do something similar. I'm currently working on side plates and belly pan installation. Also some "bling" may be in my future.

Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 3-1-2018 at 06:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by eric67m  

Also some "bling" may be in my future.

That's what I'm talking about!

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
eric67m

[*] posted on 3-1-2018 at 07:44 PM

I added the side name plates and the carbon belly pan. I still need to trim my zip ties.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 06:37 AM

:thumbup::thumbup:really great plate
scuff marks already?

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
eric67m

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by abkayak  

scuff marks already?

Both the buggy and the Dragonfly carbon products, carbon fiber belly pans are used. I put the previously scratched side down again.

popeyethewelder

[*] posted on 3-22-2018 at 02:20 PM
Well done Eric

Popeyethewelder
Riding a buggy of some description