Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 62 cm kite control bar
Ed Cline

Mood: Truth, Justice, and The American Way.

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 04:34 PM
62 cm kite control bar

Need a bar in good shape min 62 cm between line leaders, longer is better.
A naked bar, or with leaders, and a hole in the middle.
Trying to turn a larger nasa, whew! ;)

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 06:00 PM

I know what you are up against trying to turn those beasts. Barges in the air they are. I do have an extra bar and will need to check and see what length it is. One thing to keep in mind is that a very long bar is a bit of a pain in the seat meat when sitting in a buggy, particularly when making your turn and switching from side to side.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 03:19 AM

Thanks Steve, hope it's the one I need.

Steve is the original owner of my NASA stars 5.5, 10, 12.5, Peak2 6m. Plus several odd bits to facilitate the flying of these beauties.
He has a magic closet from which he can produce a slightly used anything.
Recent DNA tests reveal he has 18% North Pole ethnicity. :P

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 05:31 PM

I don't have hands on experience with the big NPW kites. Still I have a strong feeling that long handles or pulley handles and a strop would be the way to go?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Randy

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 05:48 PM

Biggest Star I've flown is 7 meters, so I can't say for sure about a 10 or 12.5 either. However, the Nasa Stars are bridled for flying on a bar, not handles. With changing the bridles they can fly on handles, and I have include a picture from Born on how to do it. I tried it and didn't particularly like it on my NS2 5.5 M. I felt like there was too little control for turning so I went back to a bar. There are other ways to do it, which might work better but would take some experimenting.

nasa4line-4.png - 145kB

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Randy

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 05:52 PM

Here is another diagram for 4 line bridling of the Star. Note that in either method, you don't make new bridles, just take apart the existing cluster of bridles and then cluster them as shown for handles. I don't recall trying this approach. It might work better but you end up making a z-bridle if I understand the picture, which would require some experimenting.

nasa4line-2.png - 108kB

I think a search on z-bridles and Nasa Star may provide some more detail. I pretty much forgot about it all because I was satisfied with how the 5.5 turned on a bar.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 10:01 PM

So... my extra bar will not work. Sorry Ed. The Z-bridling is a way to go with the B-K NASA kites and is how I have my small NS3 kites strung. While I have not flown the Big Ladies via z-bridling my gut would not lead me in that direction.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 02:27 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. The bar will have to be a 60cm from fun with kites and HQ.
If I go bigger than 12.5 there may be need of a alternate control system.

The 45cm Flys up to and including 5,5 no problemo, The 7 to 10 flys well on one of Steve's old bars at 53 cm leader to leader. The 12.5 has its brides split so I'll copycat the Dutch Flying Object bridle adjusters to get it moving ahead as its preference.

Thanks for looking gentlemen, no bars were found but we turned up some good advice.
I didn't mean to start another NPW thread. I looked them over before I decided to commit.
Funny how my experience differs so much from the mainstream opinion, maybe I'll try a left handed bar? Thanks to responders above.

Randy

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 06:43 AM

Nothing wrong with more NPW threads.....:D

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ed Cline  

Funny how my experience differs so much from the mainstream opinion, maybe I'll try a left handed bar? Thanks to responders above.

I probably screwed it up but when I converted my bar to a left hand one my kite flew right when I turned left. Fortunately it was an easy fix. I just had to flip the bar over. ;) ;)

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-28-2017 at 05:12 AM

Ed,

The bar you want is the Totem Universal Control Bar:

Totem Universal Control Bar

I found this bar once on eBay for about 50 bucks (bar-only) and used it as a single bar for my entire 1.5m - 12.5m quiver of NS3s. It comes in two sizes and you want the bigger one (45-50-55-60cm). The idea here is that you put the outer lines wide for the biggest NS3s and progressively narrower for the smaller kites. I turned Steffen Born onto these bars and he ended up incorporating them into his Commercial line. They are of great quality and the center hole is sculpted and really nice.

The trick will be finding one used or cheap and then rigging it for your needs. In the various videos you have seen of me flying the 10.0 and 12.5m NS3s I am using this bar set to the widest (60cm) spread. Plenty long enough.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 11-28-2017 at 08:50 AM

Thanks for the lead Steve.

Kite attitude sells this bar naked at about 85 eu
Now for the big news...... They have a wave rider naked for about the same in 65cm!

I ordered an HQ in 60cm. If it won't turn the Gojira Star 3 then I can try the wave rider 65cm with floaties built in. If it still won't turn I will make a patch quilt. We are going to spend some time together any road.

Also looked over the videos you mailed me. Our kite does like to fly backwards.
If I untie all the bridles and turn the kite around 180 then re tie them it may help. :eureka:

Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 05:27 AM

They have a wave rider naked for about the same in 65cm!

And it comes in pink! Perfect for channeling your inner Sally. :saint:

[img][/img]

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 05:38 AM

Sally, for your quiver of NASA Stars, there is truly "one bar to rule them all". I wouldn't count on the extra few centimeters making a big difference. Heck, you can be flying the 10.0 or 12.5m NS3s in light wind (the only sane wind to fly these beasts in) and reach up and pull an outer line with your hand all the way from an outstretched arm to close into your body and they will still turn like the beautiful fat drunk lassies that they are. Please trust me, you are on a journey to nowhere. I know because I walked that road to its dead end...

As your bar gets longer in the buggy it will be harder and harder to get it across your body and the down tube of the buggy, particularly if you have anything attached to the down tube that sticks up like a water bottle, camera, GPS, etc. Been there, hooked that. The 45-60cm bar is slick because it can be a single bar for the entire quiver from large to small. Here she is in all of her glory:

[img][/img]

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Randy

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 06:32 AM

Thanks for the lead Steve.

Also looked over the videos you mailed me. Our kite does like to fly backwards.
If I untie all the bridles and turn the kite around 180 then re tie them it may help. :eureka:

NPW with tendency for flying backwards on a bar setup usually means the brake lines are just a little too short. If you lengthen the brake or shorten the power a bit (maybe start with 1/4 to 1/2 inch) should solve it. If you go too far, the nose will start to collapse.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 07:50 AM

I know Randy, I'm just jacking Steve up. He's been a really good guy and I don't think that should go unpunished. :P
The plan is to rig the already split (once) bridles in the fashion of the DFO. The adjustment should be easy then.
Now let's see what Steve has against fat bottomed girls....in search of the perfect pint... who can teach you to twirl a baton.

Randy

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 08:18 AM

:D.

Ed check out my new thread on "Which kite is bigger". Be interesting to see your DFO 8 compared with the NS 10 and maybe the Quad 4 with the LS2 3.5. Also, if you still have the 4 M NPW from china with the NS 4.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 08:35 AM

So..I looked at the girly bar and thought, what a perfect match for my pink nasa.
Then I thought, what if I die unexpectedly and someone finds it among my worldly goods.
For now I'll keep the NASAsia in a bag marked painting drop cloth, just in case.

There may be two dealers for these bars in Canada, maps shows one as a single family dwelling and the other as a set of coordinates only. One has a number. I wish I'd found the totem first, but done is done and if I ever start selling my nasa kites It'll be good to have bars.

Truly Steve, the longer bar will require a new Kata to be sure. My drink holder is where yours is and is a Topeak which can snag a line. My tendency to use Left hand down and Right hand down is a habit I need to break before it sets itself to deeply. I noticed it on the 53 cm you sent me. As far as being on the road to no where, well you may be right, the proof will be in the for sale topic I may post later. I hope not and I am determined to dance with the fat lady. She is graceful and beautiful and I have a serious crush. Her name is Nora.:embarrased:

Ed Cline

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 08:47 AM

I think my sig is wrong. I'll look at the site but I believe it's just over 7m. What I can say is that so far the DFO is filling the gap between the Star 5.5 and 10 nicely. It feels closer to the 10. I have no quantitative data to present.

You visited my field. It's uphill to the north. When the Star 5.5 won't pull me up the hill, the DFO will. When the DFO won't pull me up the hill the Star 10 is only a little better.
So far the 12.5 has only pulled my chain. I'll look over your thread though, no wind.

Ed Cline

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 08:51 AM

Oh, saw your vid with the skateboard and the DFO on two short lines. Excellent.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio