Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Potential scam
Blitzhound

Mood: I got a sickness, and the only cure is more Buggyin!

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 06:56 PM
Potential scam

Just thought I'd share this potential scam with y'all. I had recently posted on the forum in the wanted. Looking for a wheel. I recieved an email saying "I have what you need. If you're still looking." I replied that i was in fact still looking. They responded with pictures of a Patagonia Cameleon on Kenda beach Racers and sysmic rims. Asking 450 "USD" U.S. Dollars? Ok maybe he's not in the stats. That would be a bummer. I ask if his $450 is for the tires and wheels or the whole buggy. Where he's located? where he got it? Why he's selling it? I should point out that all of his responses to this point have all been short one liners and poor grammar. He doesn't say where he got it. Says he's selling it because he wants to get a new one, the $450 asking price is for the entire buggy. and he's located in Maryland USA. USA? I tell him in in Oregon. Would he be willing to ship it. He says yes. I ask him for his PayPal info. I'll send him the money. At this point I'm pretty sure it's BS. But let's play it out. How is this scam going to play out? He replays that his PayPal account is having issues. (Issues?) and he wants to use the Venmo. Bingo! There it is. I tell him I'm not comfortable using Venmo. (Venmo is an app owned by PayPal. It is Kent for sending money amongst friends and family. It offers no protection for buyer or sellers.) In fact the scam relies on a single line in the user agreement. " Venmo is not to be used for business transactions." He the proceeds to convince me that it is safe and he can be trusted. To which I reply. It's not gonna happen.

So...many red flags. But nothing substantial. I can't prove it's a scam. But be warned DO NOT use Venmo for payment transactions unless it's someone you know and trust. Good luck and safe interweb travels.

NAPKA US541
HQ: Beamer V 5.0m,
Best: Bularoo 7m, Waroo 9m, 12m
PKD: Inferno 9m, 12m, 16.5m,
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
Buggies: GT-Revolt, GT-RazR,
markite

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 07:50 PM

well I'm curious if this is the same Cameleon Pagona for sale from the UK - it's got barrow, big foots and discs going for 450 pounds - but definitely in the UK. It can be seen on the "kites, land boards and buggies for sale/wanted" Facebook group. Curious if it's the same photos.
If you can get a chameleon with the larger front fork and big wheels and and sysmic rim for 450 US that's a deal! But sounds like you might have something funky going on with this offer.

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
jimbocz

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 12:56 AM

I immediately thought the same thing as Mark, both being 450 seems like a big coincidence.
Blitzhound

Mood: I got a sickness, and the only cure is more Buggyin!

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 02:18 AM

After Marks reply I investigated and it is not the same buggy.

NAPKA US541
HQ: Beamer V 5.0m,
Best: Bularoo 7m, Waroo 9m, 12m
PKD: Inferno 9m, 12m, 16.5m,
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
Buggies: GT-Revolt, GT-RazR,
jeffnyc

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 08:00 AM

Hey, thanks Blitz... I've never used Venmo, but sure it would come up at some point, good to know the differences. I'll stick to PayPal (until Apple comes up with a peer to peer)
Glad you didn't fall for the scam, if it is one.

Foil: Speed5 18+12 | Speed3 15 | Sonic2 9m | Peak 5 4m
Arc: Phantom I 12m+18m
LEI: LF WOW 9m
FB: Flux 5m | Bullet 4.5 | Blurr 3.5 + 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8
Ride: Flexi Haize | MBS core 90 | SS Vision 140 | Mako 140 + King 165 | King Gee | SS Hover Glide | WB 5'6" | Burton Floater
NAPKA NCC-US1701
sand flea

Mood: non significant wind chaser

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 05:23 PM

Very good to know
Thanks Blitz

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio