Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Line Length
ColinW

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 05:02 PM
Line Length

So let's say that perhaps a guy used a bad kite stake (12 inch hot dipped galvanized spiral spike).
And then let's say that a guy's brake line snapped with not much pressure because it might have been slightly compromised by the afore mentioned stake.
So at this point a guy might be trying to equalize the length of a couple of flying lines of a particular breaking strength, AND a couple brake lines of a lesser breaking strength.
How might the guy go about doing that?

I was thinking about putting a nail in a fence post and running the lines to a horizontal pipe between two chairs;
then I could hang a weight from each line and mark equal height from the ground on each line...
but
-do I need a different weight for the lower test brake lines?
-is there an easier way to do this?
-does anyone know how the manufacturers prestretch and then equalize line length?
Also suggesting that I buy a brand new line set (although, probably the right thing to do, is not what I'm after here :P)
Thanks in advance,
colin
awindofchange

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 05:32 PM

You have a couple options depending on where the break happened.

If it happened close to the end of the line, you can simply re-equalize the lines you have. This would be taking the shortest line and then cutting each of the other three to match the length of that one. You would not have to pre-stretch your lines as your lines have already been stretched to their max by you flying on them for the period of time that you have. With good quality lines, nearly all of the creep (stretch) happens during the first few flights of really stout wind. The stretch is the tightening of the braid. That being said, all you would have to do is to cut down and re-sleeve your lines so they are all the same length.

To do this, stake the lines out on the ground at one end. Make sure that the lines are firmly staked and will not pull out. Go to the other end and stretch all four lines out firmly as tight as you can get them. I use a screw driver and wrap the lines around it snugly so they don't slide off and pull tight so they all stretch out equally. Once stretched out, use a sharpie or good marker and draw a line about 1.5 feet from the end of the shortest line across all four lines. This marks all the lines equal length. Then cut four new pieces of sleeving material that are all equal length, appx. 1 ft long. Sleeve all four lines, sliding the sleeving material up to the mark made above. Start with the first line, tie a keeper knot at the end of the sleeving to hold it in place. Then fold the sleeving over to form the loop, lining both ends of the sleeving up so they are equal. Then tie two knots, one at the end and one just under it go hold the loop. Do the same with the other three lines. Once done, slide a screw driver through the four loops, pull against your stake and they should all pull equally. Trim off the lose ends as needed, fuse with a lighter to prevent fraying.

Sleeving material - 10 bucks
Sleeving tool - 8 bucks.

Lines just as good as new, just a tiny bit shorter.

To make a new lineset, do the same but first tie loops in your ends and then stake them down, then repeat the above.

Bulk line can be purchased at most shops including ours.

Another hack, sleeve and loop the broken line and then add a long leader to that line to equalize it to the other three.

Hope this helps. If you need or have any other questions about making lines, let me know.

Happy Winds!
-Kent

ColinW

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 07:34 PM

Thanks Kent!
Great tips.
Its the wrapping the lines around the screwdriver part that has me befuddled.
I tried pulling on even just 2 lines with my fingers, and never felt like I was sure that they were under the same tension, and therefore not necessarily the same length.
I was thinking about a balance that would pull from the center but you would have to keep knotting and unknotting the lines until they were the same length.
If I lived in a tower, I could just lower them down with the same amount of weight tied to each one, and then mark them above the weight...
Or maybe put 2 of them over the fence post and tie the other ends together and pull in the loop; that way the tension would be equal.
Maybe I could use a spring loaded fishing scale. Pull each line to the same weight and mark off with the sharpie.
Still wouldn't help for the different strength brake lines.
Probably over thinking the small amount of difference there may be, but just wondered if there were a simple method that I hadn't thought of.
colin
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 08:38 PM

I like the Hack...or 'fix-just-the-one-broken-line' method( instead of dealing with all the lines)

Another option I've used in the 'fix-the-one-broken-line' theme is doing a Splice and making the broken line it's original length again.

Done by cutting off just a bit of the the fray from the longest piece's broken end and SPLICING on a new PIECE equal to length lost of line..., then sleeving it-to get original length .

I actually spliced using both pieces of broken line...... with the spliced on new piece connecting both original parts of the line...including the sleeved end piece so I did not have to trouble to re-sleeve anything.

Little tricky getting length to come out exact when splicing new piece between TWO pieces of line(double splice), instead of just adding to the end of longest piece of the broken line.

There are line splicing and sleeving tutorials available if interested and searching...

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio