Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Most powerful 2-string kite?
Rand

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 04:44 PM
Most powerful 2-string kite?

I've been flying power kites for many years. My current favorites are Flexifoil Rage 4.7 and the playful Big Buzz. I'm looking for something in between with the simplicity of the quick setup and launch of a 2-stringer, but with much more power than the Big Buzz. I realize when you get into the 4.7 size range, it's smart to have 4-lines for braking, but...

What 2-string kite(s) do you say has the most power/lift for scudding and careful jumping?

The attached pic is very recent. This is the Big Buzz. Winds were so light I could control it with one finger on each hand. The Rage 4.7 in the same wind was able to drag me around a little bit when I got it up to speed. I want power closer to the Rage with the simplicity of 2 strings. With that gap filled in my quiver I'll have everything covered for any wind condition. Just looking for that inbetweener... Max power with 2 strings.

kiting-at-sunset-small.jpg - 136kB
B-Roc

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 06:45 PM

Without a doubt the most lifty 2-liner is the Mandibule from France but not sure if you can get it any more. Also a 6.6 or 8.5 Blade III retrofitted to two lines would fill the bill.

But if I was static jumping I'd prefer a 4 line kite.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 09:02 PM

For kites currently in production, if you are looking more for grunt than lift.

"All sizes of the Born-Kite Nasa Star 3 ( kite bag is included here ) can be flown on either a 2 line or 3 line depower bar.
They can also easily be converted to fly off 4 line handles."

I am thinking the 12.5m on 2 lines should require more than a little bleach for the cleaning of grass and err umm.... other stains.

As it is also available in 2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7m, 8.5m, and 10m.... saner options are also available. And the other flight control options are still available when dual line simplicity isn't the order of the day.

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 09:48 PM

Why wouldn't you just convert what you have to 2 line if you want to dumb things down? Try shorter lines for a smaller window and longer if you want more window = more power.

My Peel is a very powerful 2 line.

I agree that mandibule is king when it comes to 2 lines and lift.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by indigo_wolf  
For kites currently in production, if you are looking more for grunt than lift.

"All sizes of the Born-Kite Nasa Star 3 ( kite bag is included here ) can be flown on either a 2 line or 3 line depower bar.
They can also easily be converted to fly off 4 line handles."

I am thinking the 12.5m on 2 lines should require more than a little bleach for the cleaning of grass and err umm.... other stains.

As it is also available in 2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7m, 8.5m, and 10m.... saner options are also available. And the other flight control options are still available when dual line simplicity isn't the order of the day.

ATB,
Sam

I'm with Sam here. When I read your description I immediately thought about the Born-Kite NS3s.

Born-Kite

I've actually owned every single size of the NS3 including a couple not available other than via custom build. The larger sizes (8.5, 10.0, and 12.5m) are bonafide stump pullers and can lift you as well if you try, but I wouldn't exactly describe them as "lifty". Definitely good for scudding. You want fairly steady winds for these beasts to fly well as they are prone to back flying if you can't keep them moving. They fly well as two liners (bar or straps), three liners from a bar, or four lines from handles with z-bridles.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Rand

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 04:26 PM

Bladerunner, I hear you. I don't want to dumb down something. This is specific... I just like those family / friend times when it's a quick outing and you can unspool everything off of one winder and be in the air in a minute. The Big Buzz is perfect for that, but I want that with bigger power. I have my four-string setup down pretty well, but it's still a longer setup and tear down.

Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 6-25-2018 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rand  
Bladerunner, I hear you. I don't want to dumb down something. This is specific... I just like those family / friend times when it's a quick outing and you can unspool everything off of one winder and be in the air in a minute. The Big Buzz is perfect for that, but I want that with bigger power. I have my four-string setup down pretty well, but it's still a longer setup and tear down.

Why can't you do that with a four line kite? I only use one winder for my handle kites. It is no different with four lines or two if you keep the lines connected to the kite when you roll up.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 6-25-2018 at 01:47 PM

2 things don't make sense.

Why does it take longer to ground handle a 2 line over a 4 line?

Why do you want to use a 2 line to jump? Having control of brake input is a true advantage when jumping. Don't even think about jumping until you can fly the kite for minutes at a time without ever looking at it.

As others have mentioned, if you want a lifty 2 line buy a 4 line Blade and remove the brakes.

Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 6-25-2018 at 01:48 PM

Are you flying the Rage correctly?
Have you worked on turning the kite with only brake input? Have you tried combining brake input with push pull control? Doing so can tighten your turn to the piont that you are turning on a wing tip.

Ken (K2)
RedSky

[*] posted on 6-25-2018 at 08:19 PM

For quick setup and tear down, learn to para pack your kites.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio