Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: LEI lauch?
m00ms

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 01:08 AM
LEI lauch?

hi and apologies if this question is in wrong section!

little while ago while looking around on ebay i found a cheap LEI in the form of a flexifoil storm 9m which i think is a 2004,it was complete with lines and bar and was so cheap i thought why not.

i know its an old kite but curious to try it and have watched videos on youtube on launching LEIs.

is it possible to self launch them on grass and if flown in low wind first times can i just middle of window launch it?

thanks
Blitzhound

Mood: I got a sickness, and the only cure is more Buggyin!

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 06:34 AM

With the help of a sand bag it is possible to self launch on grass in low wind. Launch it just like an Arc. If you don't know. YouTube launching an Arc. This is how I do it. There may be better ways. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

NAPKA US541
HQ: Beamer V 5.0m,
Best: Bularoo 7m, Waroo 9m, 12m
PKD: Inferno 9m, 12m, 16.5m,
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
Buggies: GT-Revolt, GT-RazR,
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 09:25 AM

http://www.flexifoil.com/template/Manuals/Storm%20I.pdf

Here is the manual. It describes solo launch. Where you will have a HUGE issue is trying to re-launch. It was a struggle to re-lauch old 4 line kites on water. There are reasons these kites were not considered as land kites.

Solo Landing on land is also an issue.

Back then the rule was " keep them low and go " . Meaning get out on the water before taking these old kites overhead. They had tons of punch and poor safeties. If for some reason you find you like old C kites you should seriously consider adding a 5th line safety system !!!!!!!!!

Cheap old kites are almost free for a reason. Around here people honestly threw them out rather than see them end up in the wrong hands.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
m00ms

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 11:32 AM

thanks il give the sand bag a try on my local field on a low wind day and see what happens!

thanks for the link bladerunner which reads same as one i found for mine which is a storm 3 which im not sure is better or worse.with landing can you not just fly it to edge of window until it losses power?

another option for it is when im down the coast and i cant buggy due to tide being in i could always fly it and see if itll launch from the water.in time i was looking to try the water side of kiting and was hoping my storm would be an cheap introduction to it.
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 12:07 PM

Ghost landing is an option if you have an anchor to tie the kite off to. Cheap LEI's are fun to play with. I have had many a buggy session on an old cheap LEI.

NAPKA US541
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
sand flea

Mood: non significant wind chaser

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 03:53 PM

It is a bad idea launching an lei in the middle of the window.
Take it to the edge,
You'll have a better day!
Safety first
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 07:24 PM

A lot of times when I launch solo on land, I will lay the kite leading edge down into the wind. Then I will attach my lines so the bar and lines are stretched out directly down wind. Everything should be hooked up upside down. Then I will walk to the bar, hook in, then simply walk the lines around in a circle until a wingtip catches some wind. Then with a little tension and wind, I can roll the kite over and launch along the wind edge. Works best if the leading edge has something to grip to turn it over. Doesn't work so well on bare ice.

I do agree with the above though. Older LEI's have inferior safety systems and much less Depower than their modern cousins.

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
ssayre

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 06:18 AM

04 LEI??? Probably better off cutting it up and make some single line kites or donating to a kite museum.
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
04 LEI??? Probably better off cutting it up and make some single line kites or donating to a kite museum.

WOW!

NAPKA US541
m00ms

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 08:18 AM

is that wow to my LEI being 2004 (not fully sure what year flexifoil storm 3 was) or wow to harsh comment!!
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 01:46 PM

Blitz.
The Storm is a C kite from a year or 2 before bow kites like the Waroos etc. that you own. They were a big leap forward at the time. Kite design improved greatly starting about 2005. I was tempted by your old bow kites but wouldn't take an 04 C kite for anything but material. I owned 2 of them in 05.

Mooms has an old C kite. They had poor depower and huge punch. Relaunch was a total PITA. Depending on your style they were a great kite or a major hazard. C kites have a following and still exist but with better safeties, depower and Relaunch.

Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 01:58 PM

That was a WOW to the inappropriately harsh comment. Old LEI's are perfectly fine to play with. I don't disagree that advances have been made. But these kites can be flown relatively safely. I don't have a ton of experience with LEI's but I do have a couple of old Waroo's that I have flown many times with no issues. In fact I've had a lot of fun on the 7m Bularoo. The suggestion that you'd be better off chopping them up is complete nonsense. Learn some cheap lessons. (I don't think they'll workout quite the way you had hoped. Or they might. Mine didn't. I keep them more as a novelty than anything else. Partly because I've gone to mostly FB.) Just be careful, be safe and use your noodle and try to have some fun while you're at it.

NAPKA US541
ssayre

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 09:07 PM

Blitz, my comment was not harsh at all. it's never been advised on here that an lei rookie use or fly an old c kite. Very different from your lei's. That's why they are so cheap or usually free.

no reason to immediately disadvantage yourself, especially when new. There are many very affordable lei options out there that aren't c kites.

I looked up that kite and safety system and I wouldn't fly one in anything but light wind and just for the novelty.
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 10:33 PM

Ssayre. Even the OP thought it to be harsh. His words. Doesn't matter the kite. Telling someone they are better off chopping up there kite is inappropriate at best. You could have explained why this kite was not good for a beginner. You could have shared your experience with this kite (oh wait...you don't have any.) I could even see this as a possible comment if he were asking if he should buy the kite. (Don't buy this kite. It's not worth the Dacron it's made out of.) But he already owns it. Now he's asking for advice on flying and launching it. The best advice you could come up with was chop it up. Yet you base your advice only on what you have read?
You wouldn't fly it? What do you fly again? It's one thing to let someone know that what they are suggesting is unsafe and why. It's another to tell someone they are better off making purses out of there newly bought kite.

I know I know. You're thinking this is a harsh response.

Ssayre. "My comments are not harsh at all."

NAPKA US541
m00ms

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 01:30 AM

apologies that my old LEI purchase seams to of caused a storm (no pun intended!)

thanks to blitz and bladerunner for you advice and positive comments.

i did try to launch kite last night in low wind but it was too low so next time i will try little higher and see how i get on.i am curious to try it as i have it and will not do so in strong or gusty winds.i can then decide if to keep,sell or make handbags out of it :)
ssayre

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 03:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Blitzhound  
Ssayre. Even the OP thought it to be harsh. His words. Doesn't matter the kite. Telling someone they are better off chopping up there kite is inappropriate at best. You could have explained why this kite was not good for a beginner. You could have shared your experience with this kite (oh wait...you don't have any.) I could even see this as a possible comment if he were asking if he should buy the kite. (Don't buy this kite. It's not worth the Dacron it's made out of.) But he already owns it. Now he's asking for advice on flying and launching it. The best advice you could come up with was chop it up. Yet you base your advice only on what you have read?
You wouldn't fly it? What do you fly again? It's one thing to let someone know that what they are suggesting is unsafe and why. It's another to tell someone they are better off making purses out of there newly bought kite.

I know I know. You're thinking this is a harsh response.

Ssayre. "My comments are not harsh at all."

Blitz I don't see your comment as harsh. In fact your 100% correct. I've owned and used arcs and peaks. I currently fly a peak and fixed bridles. However, I did take the time to Google the exact kite he was referring to and look at its control systems. Did you? I know a thing or two about kites and considered it more of a harsh warning. My apologies to you. Mooms is less sensitive and I think he is managing my harshness just fine. :)

I've never been to Siberia either but I've read enough that I might need a jacket. :P

"mooms, be careful, it's a very old c kite". Is what I should have said, but it was more fun to ruffle blitz feathers.
ssayre

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 04:07 AM

My initial comment was intended to start a conversation for mooms sake which it did. If this thread causes him to proceed with caution then I'll count it as a success.

Don't take my word for it. Just read Bladerunner's comment.
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 04:43 AM

Jeez, I leave PKF for a couple of days for some vacation with my family and all hell breaks loose! :frog:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
m00ms

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:50 AM

everyone on this site has been such a help to me with my kiting and buggying ssayre included that im not taking any offence to a cheeky comment about my old donkey of a kite.i wouldnt be kiting or buggying without this site.

i am just shocked at how bad a kite it is and how bad old C kites are! guessing fixed bridle got it fairly right then as i fly a couple of old flexi bullets 5.5 and 7m which i think are great but i assume there of an age as well.

Bladerunner

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 02:31 PM

I think the nastiest stuff I have seen on this forum was centered around old C kites.

Some folks truly have cut them up to keep them out of unexperienced hands. Mooms has shown he has common sense so I didn't want to say cut it up. Most manuals back then suggested you launch from or get into the water ASAP. Even the makers didn't think flying them on land was safe. Keep it low and go was the rule.

The thing I learned is that trying to go cheap and work to make inferior products work ( mostly from Pansh ) is that doing so actually slowed my progression. Similar with chasing the newest model of kite before I ever got the most out of the gear I had. I lost a TON of valuable kite time trying to make inferior products work and getting accustomed to new product.

LOTS of old kites are good ( to a degree ) The Bullets that MooMs is flying and Blitz's Waroos / Bularoos are a perfect example. Both great older kites. Models that have been improved on but are worth the money.

What I wish Mooms and others would do is ask on here if their purchase will be a good one before throwing money. We don't all always agree but a person can get a good feel for a products qualities and flaws as we argue about it. I would have and do suggest that Mooms look for old Bow kites like Waroo and Swithchblade if he wants in the LEI world at bottom dollar.

Anther big debate about old C kites : I used to say you can not reverse launch them but was proven wrong. The fact that some do reverse launch is a big deal on land. Much easier on the kite than the drift and lift method shown in the manuals.

Ken (K2)
ssayre

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 02:45 PM

crazyherb

Mood: Where's the water?

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 03:00 PM

I learned landboarding on 04/05 North Rhinos - (5-line) C-Kites.

They have moments, but here's the best video on launching one that I can compare to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5XvVmf1pas

The key point is right about 1 minute into the video, to let the kite roll back on it's back a little bit and it takes some pull off and start working the upper brake line.
She'll roll on to a tip and pull to the edge of the window....be ready to FLY the kite..and slide a little if you have lots of wind...and keep it sheeted out (bar away from you).

Watch for edge of the window (back stalls) or you'll get yanked a bit too...
Otherwise, fly it like anything else and try not to BONK it.

Steve

NAPKA US70
Switch Element 2 15M, Element 3 11M, Helium 18M
Liquid Force Proof 161, MTH Custom (Water)
Flexboardz Haize (Land)
m00ms

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 10:57 AM

thanks bladerunner as i would like to hope i have common sense.

i think i didnt ask for advice before buying as LEI side is just something i would like to try in time and the flexifoil storm was just there cheap so i just went for it.my main focus is getting better in the buggy which i am especially at coast in cleaner wind and next step is depower kite to use in the buggy.i have another thread running about depower options.

thanks for link crazyherb which i have seen before,that jake kelsike seams to have a great life as ive watched few of his videos!!
m00ms

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 11:03 AM

with regards to looking at safer LEI could i use the bar/lines from the storm or is that defeating it as the safety is on the bar/lines?
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 02:36 PM

If I was to spend more money ( and I did ) trying to upgrade my old 4 line I would add a 5th line safety. I had to get a tab sewn on for the 5th on my Airush lift and my Niash Aero II had a tab already for the pump leash. Re-launching a 4 line is a PITA. It was a just big waste of money. Early versions of kites had less throw in the bar and generally less depower.

I would suggest you look for 2006 and newer Waroos, Bularoos and Swithcblades. Bow kites in general. These kites were the big leap forward and offer a greater degree of safety on land. Put your money towards a kite that will suit your needs by design rather than trying to redesign a kite or control system that doesn't work. I made that mistake and worse than money I lost all sorts of quality fly time trying to do so. It slowed my progress.

Ken (K2)
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 08:29 PM

I apologize if I came of too rude. I just found the cut it up comment completely out of line IMO. Ssayre. I did read about these kites when I was looking at buying one myself because they were so cheap. I didn't buy one because of what I read. But...mooms did. I felt at this point let's give him the help he needs to make it as safe as possible. Cutting it up doesn't help at all. But again my apologies.

On another note. Like so many noobs before me. Purchased a few older LEI's because they were so cheap. I ended up buying a 3 kite quiver or Best Waroo's. I will say. I have enjoyed these kites. They are fun, they are fast, and they handle well, and they were crazy cheap. Butif you are looking into a cheap depower option. Personally I would suggest either an ARC such as a Phantom or Venom. Or a (I can't believe I'm saying this.) A Flysurfer Peak. I have only ever flown the 12m in the 2nd and 3rd version. But this is a wonderful kite in both offerings.

NAPKA US541
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 09:04 PM

(I can't believe I'm saying this.) A Flysurfer Peak.

Hah! You've got the SS fever! Hits ya like a freakin' tidal wave, don't it? :lol::lol: :moon:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Randy

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  

WOW!

That's how I got started making kites. Harsh or not. Friend game me an old c-kite and I used the fabric to make kites with. Can anybody guess the brand it came from?

NPW Test Pilot -US99
ssayre

[*] posted on 8-4-2017 at 05:40 AM

I apologize if I came of too rude. I just found the cut it up comment completely out of line IMO. Ssayre. I did read about these kites when I was looking at buying one myself because they were so cheap. I didn't buy one because of what I read. But...mooms did. I felt at this point let's give him the help he needs to make it as safe as possible. Cutting it up doesn't help at all. But again my apologies.

On another note. Like so many noobs before me. Purchased a few older LEI's because they were so cheap. I ended up buying a 3 kite quiver or Best Waroo's. I will say. I have enjoyed these kites. They are fun, they are fast, and they handle well, and they were crazy cheap. Butif you are looking into a cheap depower option. Personally I would suggest either an ARC such as a Phantom or Venom. Or a (I can't believe I'm saying this.) A Flysurfer Peak. I have only ever flown the 12m in the 2nd and 3rd version. But this is a wonderful kite in both offerings.

No apologies necessary. I'm estimating, sales, and customer service, and scheduling department for my company. I have at least 1 person mad at me every day and that's not including my wife. So I'm used to it. :)

Mooms also mentioned trying out water down the line. I don't kitesurf, but I would guess he would want a easy relaunch and friendly kite for learning water.
ssayre

[*] posted on 8-4-2017 at 09:23 AM

randy, it was you that put the idea in my head in the first place. I had remembered you mentioning before that you had made kites from old lei. So this is all your fault.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio