Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is your preferred GPS for your buggy?
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

question.gif posted on 4-19-2017 at 05:13 PM
What is your preferred GPS for your buggy?

I'm itchin' to get me a dedicated GPS for my buggy. Jeepersjoey has already kindly weighed in strongly in support of the Garmin eTrex 20. What do others think? I'm thinking I want to be able to see it well in bright sunlight through polarized sunglasses, and make note of speed, max speed, total distance traveled, etc. I'd probably end up using 1/10 of the thing's capability but that's OK.

I've seen new Garmin eTrex 20x GPS units on Ebay for about $135 so I don't think I want to spend more than that.

Please discuss!

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Randy

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 05:25 PM

I got a Garmin Etrex 10 for ~$80 on closeout at REI a while back (2 years?). It records time moving, time stopped, max speed, average speed while moving and so on in the "Trip Computer." I like it a lot. The main thing I wanted is to be able to download my data, which this model does. I can then use the GP Visualizer web site to produce tracks on Google Maps, and convert the data to .csv so I can load it into a spreadsheet and see my speed at (about) 20 second intervals. I don't have a clue as to how to use the dozens of other functions on this thing, nor do I care. I really don't think I would have any use for a model that produces any more data than this one. I imagine that the Etrex 20 just have a few more bells and whistles which may or may not be useful.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
jeepersjoey

Mood: Vapor Trails...

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:11 PM

Steve

There was a local guy on Craigslist selling a new etrex 20 for $70. There is a used one(with a scratch) for $50.

You will be able to get one easily for cheap.

If you are not aware of R.A.M. Products....you really need to get a few of their mounts to attach to your buggy. I have used them for years and have quite a collection of parts. Buy their gps mounts and mount the gps right to the neck of your buggy.

I really cannot say enough about RAM mounts. Cheap...perfect...universal. Check them out.

Btw...I will send you a few pics of my Etrex 20. You will be able to see the screen I usually have on as well as other options. If you get them and want to post here...please do.

Paul

Peter Lynn - Resurrected Vapors (thanks to Tenacious Tape): 3.2, 3.8, 4.5, 5.4m. Size 2.3m (dead) - all internal bellows shredded
Pansh - Cerberus - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.5, 9m. (red)
Peter Lynn - Viper - 2.6m
Flexifoil - Rage - Rasta 1.8, 2.5 (dead), 3.5 (dead), 4.7 (v2). New backup of 2.5m and 3.5m.
Ozone - Method 6.5m (w/ Ozone Turbo Bar)
Libre - Bora - Yellow 3.0 & 4.5 (both on their last breath of life)
Peter Lynn - C-Quad - 6.3
HQ - NPW9: 3.4 & 5.3. NPW5: 1.0

Buggies (Kite and Land)
#1 Buggy: Libre Full-Race
#2 Buggy: Peter Lynn Suspension buggy
#3 Sailer: Homemade Land Sailer
#4 Buggy: Windspeed Pro Ivanpah Buggy named Bruce (because he weighs 130 lbs!!)

Paul's Photo Album

Paul's Videos
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 09:53 PM

Dittos on the etrex here... I think I have the same model as Randy ($99 on Amazon 3 yrs ago) and as jj said bought a cheap bicycle mount and strapped it to my buggy neck (downtube) ... that way you can watch your speed in real time.... ironically, I was just replacing the mount this evening because it broke the last time I was out.

I'm going to take a nap now
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 10:29 PM

I've used an Etrex 20 for years and never had a problem with it. Had a couple times where the numbers came out goofy. Like when your average speed is faster than your max. Then you know something didn't calculate properly. Might be a case of standing still too long while it's on that gives you strange numbers. Dunno. I've heard of this happening to other people as well, so not an isolated incident. Like mentioned before, there is no strap or clip on the unit so you will have to buy or make a holder for it. I typically throw it in my pocket and go about my business. The 20 is definitely overkill for my application as well.

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
rtz

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 11:07 PM

Had a plain Etrex for years. Worked great. Would still have it and be using it but it might be in the lake.

Got a Magellan refurb for cheap. Not recommended. I think it runs Windows CE plus the color screen. The batteries last a day if it's not too long of a day. The deal breaker for this model is the unit will sometimes reset. There goes your mileage and top speed for the day.

Also I had the Etrex for years and the screen never scratched. Not certain it was glass but could have been. The Magellan started scratching up on the first day. Real soft plastic screen cover.

I've been looking at a GPS watch to use for windsurfing:

http://www.locosystech.com/product.php?zln=en&id=138

They also make a hand held unit:

http://www.locosystech.com/product.php?zln=en&id=126

Sting 1.7, 2.4 - Flow 2, 3, 4, 5 - Reactor 2.2, 2.8, 3.5, 4.4, 5.5 - Yakuza 2.2, 2.7 - JOJO 9
John Holgate

Mood: Cruising...

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 02:35 AM

hmmm...polarized glasses could be a problem. I stopped wearing them because I could never read my GPS or digital watch. How bout a Garmin Edge 200? It's a bike computer/gps that works brilliantly for buggy and it's easy to download onto the computer and see graphs and maps of all your trips. Easy to read and quite small. I think I put a review of mine on XK so give that a read.

I will not ever buy a Magellan again. I had one with the color screen and it got some sort of bug and locked up. I contacted Magellan and they said, no problem, send it to us and we'll re-image it and it will only cost you $120.

Yeah, right, like I'm going to pay them $120 to fix a problem that is in their own software. And charging $120 to plug it in and re download software? Bollocks. Needless to say, I went out and bought an Etrex for less than $120 - which has been fine, but the Edge is better still.

Libre Vmax, Alloy Vermin buggy.
Ozone Access/Method/Riot/Imps/
Born-Kite Nasa Star 2's & 3. Born-Kite Long Star 3,5,7m. Peak 2 6m.
My Music is available here: http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=jbholga...
And here: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnHolgate
YouTube vids here: http://www.youtube.com/user/quedecree?feature=mhee
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 04:35 AM

Thanks everybody! I just picked up a eTrex 20x on ebay and some nifty mounting hardware from r.a.m. products (thanks Paul!).

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to mount my water bottle which currently sits where this GPS is going. I'm thinking perhaps on the underside of the down tube.

Psyched! Now Pokey can see exactly how slow he's going! :evil:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 07:32 AM

I've always had the Delorme Earthmate. I have a RAM mount for it on my downtube. The mounts are a great product for sure. Mine was one of the gps units Brian Holgate used when he broke the speed record. It's shown at the top of many of PTWs record pages.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio