Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is it better to ask or wait and see?
Ed Cline

Mood: Truth, Justice, and The American Way.

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 03:36 PM
Is it better to ask or wait and see?

I am now the proud owner of a new Rally, and I'm hunting places to try it out.
I've never seen a Do not Kite sign anywhere, however I know from experience in life that asking if I can buggy here is almost sure to be a no.
Really, who would take the real or imagined responsibility for my kiting? I never asked anyone about any other kind of kite flying at any field and I was wondering how y'all handle this.
Scoped out Jockeyridge Park in the OBX, and wondered should I ask or just do and see what happens. Not right away, but soon I might try those dunes.
Meanwhile that steady 8mph I'm looking for to learn with is not showing up very often and I hate to waste any trips.
No kiters in Raleigh to ask, unless it's a secret society.
Thanks for your comments in advance, Ed Cline

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 03:53 PM

Its one of those double edged swords. I have asked and not played and I have played and not asked. The owners have been nice to nasty. I have given away buggies and kites to owners as a thank you for being able to use the spot. I have been handcuffed and told to never step foot on the property again.
A direct "Can I fly here?" has its down side. I have found that a bit of small talk with some not so direct questions about kite flying is a lot better if I want to use the property.
An old old friend of mine once said that "A snitched watermelon is far sweeter than a store bought one, even if you get caught".:evil:

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 03:58 PM

This is just my opinion.

If I don't see No Trespassing signs or No other sport signs I consider a place open to fly. Common sense rules. Odds are the dunes are protected?

Part of the game of not asking for permission is asking forgiveness if you get challenged. It sounds like you already understand you are representing the whole community.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Randy

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 04:15 PM

I don't see how the Jockey's Ridge dunes would work for a buggy - the sand is very soft and it is hard enough just to walk in it. I would think you might sink into it. Lots of people use it for various thing - they fly kites, some jump with kites, there are hang gliders and I've seen guys trying to use surf boards on the sand.

The Wright Brother memorial has a very large field that would probably work pretty well for a buggy if allowed. I think there it might pay to ask. Here is a thread I posted about spots in OBX for landboards.

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=30202#pid29...

You might also check around the Oregon Inlet on the ocean side. I heard something about that being a possibility.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 04:35 PM
Don't ask, don't tell...If the man w/ a badge comes over run away!

:P

Public land is a place set aside to recreate and enjoy. It is for all who don't hinder others doing the same. If there is no specific rule banning it...go!

Quote:

If I don't see No Trespassing signs or No other sport signs I consider a place open to fly

If an official does come and asks you to leave, I might also ask where you can get or go(on-line?) to see such documented rules. Unfortunately there's a possibility staff might make up such rules...based on they PERSONALLY feel it not safe or eco-unfriendly.

Brochure lists hangliding and Kite flying allowed... but of course nothing on kite PULLING a 'Vehicle' . Try to find complete rule list for area but don't declare your intent to anyone.
Jockeyridge

May all be moot point because-as mentioned- if there's no hardpack sand at Jockeyridge, you are not going to be able to buggy through the deep loose sand and dunes w/ your buggy set up and it's small tires.

Private land? Stay off of unless you have permission.

WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 05:08 PM

NO VEHICLES ON DUNES . Been there ,tried to do that..... and NO!
And as far as a OBX/VA buggy sesh ,it's off limits until around Oct. . Then we ride!:cool: https://vimeo.com/163050219

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

ssayre

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 05:53 PM

I consider all public places accessible without asking and have been well recieved but I'm careful to not disturb the site or be near anyone. I have also asked church properties and are usually craned permission. I first say I have a hobby of flying large kites and leave it at that. If granted permission I fly a couple times static then use the buggy. A little misleading perhaps but successful none the less.
riffclown

Mood: rain rain go away...leave some wind so I can play.

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 12:19 PM

Wright Memorial is a no for buggies. The rangers do let us demo buggies once a year at the Wright Kite Festival but that was last weekend and the Wind just didn't cooperate this year for that. .. Kites are always welcome though.. Same for Jockey's Ridge.. Kites Welcome, buggies not so much..

Photo 2015 Wright Kite Festival. Chris Shultz demoing the buggy at the Wright kite Festival..

20150718_120137pkf.jpg - 39kB

HQ Symphony 2.2.4!
Skydog SDT 2.8
HQ Crossfire II 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0
HQ Toxic 8.0
Flexifoil Blurr 3.5
Flexifoil Blade 8.5
PL Hornet 2.0

Before you ask, What kite Should I buy?
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 04:11 PM

Thanks guys,
I met Mr. Chris last weekend at the festival, we didn't have a tire pump between us, and since I was concerned about the wrong way wind and little of it, I forgot to ask him where a good spot was. He told me that a buggy is a two days a year thing at Wright Memorial. It is a nice field.
Jockey Ridge allows motorized vehicles with a permit, I have skinny wheels. I would buy a fat wheeled buggy if it was welcome. I'll ask someone at Kitty Hawk kites, they run the hangliding school.
The tide was in at the east side beach so how wide is it when the tides out, dunno. Looks steep.
VA beach would be perfect I will go there this fall, winter .thank you sir. Same distance as OBX from Raleigh. I've only been is August, bought my first steerable delta there in the late 70's at the kite shop on the pier. The former Mrs. Cline thought it costed to much, boyoo if she could see my stable now she'd divorce me, oh wait.
I know it's a little cheeky to ask you fellas about your favorite fishing holes, but be sure that I won't give you a black eye with my behavior. I am fully aware of the privilege I would risk for all of us. As a single line flyer AKA pilot number 131317 , I reflect a positive light on kiters and give away enough cheep smiley deltas to be welcome at my local fields which are Carroll Joyner in wake Forest and Horse Shoe Farm in Raleigh. Horse Shoe is where I'm going to learn I guess but like all the inland fields it's a bowl and not steady, I have to fly my Peel on 40m lines to find a wind angel.
I should have titled the post I live in Raleigh, where can I play?
I am grateful for the bits I've received here, like Oliver said "can I have some more please" EMC

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
riffclown

Mood: rain rain go away...leave some wind so I can play.

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 04:35 PM

Come on up to Tidewater any time when we're buggying.. We'd love to have you along.. Like WG said, we have a season that we're allowed. As long as we respect the dunes and stay on the beach, we're good to go.. VAB is a great place to buggy with the East Wind..

I think I might have met you as well this weekend.. Were you launching your trilobite while I was testing my homemade kite on Saturday? Here's a shot..

Tails-Trilo.JPG - 60kB

HQ Symphony 2.2.4!
Skydog SDT 2.8
HQ Crossfire II 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0
HQ Toxic 8.0
Flexifoil Blurr 3.5
Flexifoil Blade 8.5
PL Hornet 2.0

Before you ask, What kite Should I buy?
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 02:05 AM

Yes Sir, That's my Trilobite, she's about 30 sq.m , I tried a 20m frog, and gave up on inflatables for that day. Had some luck with a train of goldfish, but crossed lines were the order of the day.
A little two line about 2sqm took down my large kite like a kamakazie. All fun though. Till the rains came. See ya next year Orville/Wilbur. Maybe I'll be ready for a buggy in public by then.
I will wait till fall to plan a trip to VA beach, and get permission and direction from this forum. Business is slow in winter so I might have a whole weekend or two or three, probably get a good motel rate then also. OBX is about 300.00 a night in season, VAB even higher. Both are within day trip reach of me, long day trip. More money for kite junk. Thanks riffclown, it's good to almost meet you.

jimbocz

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 06:02 AM

All my knowledge of Kitty Hawk comes from 1988, when I worked there for one spectacular summer. I also can't imagine buggying there as the sand is way too soft. It's also a state park (or was), meaning that there are plenty of rangers to keep an eye on what's going on.

Anyway, what's wrong with just going on the beach? I can't imagine that the wet bit when the tide goes out wouldn't work with barrow wheels. Or, buy some big foots that should work on almost any sand. I swear I've seen pictures of buggiers on the beach at OBX and Kitty Hawk Kites used to sell buggies. Maybe you could call them.

Another thing - I swear I heard that the Kitesurfing place in Avon run by KHK had some kind of open area dedicated to land boards, maybe that's a possibility as well.

I feel your pain as you seem to have a burning desire to buggy but no place to do it. When I was in Raleigh, I went to a giant sports complex with several football fields. I remember thinking "this could work in a pinch if you could come when all the kids are gone "

Anyway, good luck. Give me s shout if you ever come to England and I'll get you buggying!
Ed Cline

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 04:56 AM

Thanks for the invitation,
I don't guess I'll ever get to England, but I do appreciate being encouraged. On my coffee table is a book called Summer Wine Country, it depicts the area around West Yorkshire as a beautiful collection of fields and stone walls. Hilly but open. That's really all the England I know. I'll ask the folks at KHK, but I think I'm okay with my less than perfect field till I get moving and gain confidence, then it's Virginia Beach. PS Are you holding it properly Barry is my favorite quote from the BBCs Last Of The Summer Wine. Barry's introduction to power kiting with a delta cracks me up.. Old men often digress, sorry.

chris

Mood: Inducing camber

[*] posted on 7-24-2016 at 08:37 PM

Ed - no reason to come to the Outer Banks to buggy. Just not worth it. Buggys are not allowed on Jockey's Ridge. Trust me. During the off-season, you may be able to catch a mediocre ride on the town beaches (not allowed on Federal park service or wildlife lands on OBX), but it is not really for beginners (way too narrow). Plus the sand is real soft, so the winds need to be perfect (onshore), which doesn't happen all that often.

This area may look good from far, but it is far from good to kite buggy.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio