Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HQ Beamer vi 5m
Kcleelaws

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 09:14 AM
HQ Beamer vi 5m

Anyone out there have this kite? The new Beamer vi(6) 5.0 meter. I just got one and found a nice price ordering from Germany. It took 2 weeks and the anticipation was killing me. It's my second foil and my first real power kite. I researched what to get for quite a while and it was between the Beamer 5.0 or the toxic 6.5, and after seeing them in action I decided to hold off on the toxic for now. I learned on a 2.2 meter HQ symphony beach which has impressive pull in winds >15 mph. I saw great reviews about all the other Beamer models but I have seen very little about the "new improved" Beamer vi. I have taken it out twice since it arrived on Tuesday. Yesterday there was wind at 10 mph and less and I was quite thrilled with the performance from very light wind up to 10 mph. I am not confident to go much higher yet but the kite is very easy to control, just pulls like a mule. I plan to get an ATB and eventually a buggy. If anyone has thoughts or experience with the Beamer vi let me know.
ssayre

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 09:25 AM

Since you have it in hand and are flying it, your first hand experience will be more valuable. If like all the beamers, it should at minimum be a great kite and will be forgiving in comparison to higher ar offerings. The 5m size will limit your flight time to wind on the light side. A true 3m would be handy for moderate wind. I say true 3m because your symphony is not measured like a power kite and a 3m will still be much larger than it.

Symphony is sized as a stunt foil similar to a prism snapshot. Here is a picture of my 2.5 snapshot next to my old 3m beamer.

riffclown

Mood: rain rain go away...leave some wind so I can play.

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 09:43 AM

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=28759&p...

You Might want to consider a much more incremental step as well.. a3M Beamer or similar would seem to be in order.. Welcome to PKF and you've definitely come to the right place for advice..

HQ Symphony 2.2.4!
Skydog SDT 2.8
HQ Crossfire II 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0
HQ Toxic 8.0
Flexifoil Blurr 3.5
Flexifoil Blade 8.5
PL Hornet 2.0

Before you ask, What kite Should I buy?
Kcleelaws

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 10:10 AM

A smaller kite is in my plans before I go larger. I decided to get the 5 meter because the wind where I live is usually no more than 15 mph and typically it is less than 10mph. I am about an hour and a half drive to the beach and don't get out there often. I know I will want something for stronger winds when I do get the rest of my gear together. I realize the jump from my small kite to my big one was quite a leap but I definitely won't be underwhelmed at home and unlikely to be overwhelmed. I'm pretty happy with the Beamer I have however found that all the stitching on the ends of the lines and bridle lines are needing a dab of glue to keep them from pulling. I used a tiny amount of super glue to lock the thread and keep the stitches from pulling. This was recommended in the manual. I'm wondering if maybe a more flexible glue would be better.
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 10:22 AM

a 3m kite will be in the air more often and allow you to hone your skills....you really do want one
i dont like the sound of superglue on anything...maybe Goop, but not superglue

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
acampbell

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 07:54 AM

Nothing wrong with superglue purely as a threadlock. I'm just surprised they recommended it at all. I've had every iteration of the Beamer since the II and have not had that problem, nor customer complaints.

Sounds like you understand that the larger the kite, the smaller the usable wind range, so you should be OK as long as you keep a good weather eye out. Agreed that a 3m would be a good all around addition with a wider range.

Good luck

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 03:33 PM

Welcome.

Quote:

I have however found that all the stitching on the ends of the lines and bridle lines are needing a dab of glue to keep them from pulling

Do you mean the stitching is coming out a bit, then... on the 'sheath' over the ends?

A little excess thread hanging here or there is no worry as they are- if not 'bar tacked'(repeat stiched) at the end- then they certainly are stiched zig-zagged over a long enough piece of sheath to withstand the loss(pulling out) of a few stiches or more.

If you post a few pics we can see exactly what's going on.... if anything.

The HQ Beamer is well made and you should have no problems in quality.
--------------------------------

snooffy

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 07:30 AM

I've got Beamer VI 4mtr, bought it as my 1st power kite after several stunt kites of all sorts. Must say I was overwhelmed by its power when I flew it the 1st time. Took it out once in approx. 25 mile wind and could not go directly downwind with it as the power scared the s**t out of me, at least I learnt how the kite killers work ;) Another skill I've learnt from that strong gusty wind was to self launch it/ land it from the side of the window.

Now after 3 months of flying I'm pretty confident with its control and started to learn how to use its powers on landboard which is not as easy as it looks, but definitely massive fun (and hard work).

Over all it looks like very well made piece of kit and I can highly recommend it. Would not go for the 5mtr one though as a 1st kite as that would rip my arms of my large body.

Good luck with it!

I'm in love with the sport already.....
Unk

Mood: Watching the trees

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 08:50 AM

You know you need/want a 3mtr :evil:
My first power kite was a 3mtr PKD Buster, its still my go to kite if I am unsure of how the wind is playing, just chuck it up and see what happens :)
It will not try to kill you (To hard) but it will put a grin on your face.

Did anyone mention this kite thing is addictive?
Say good bye to any spare money.

1.5mtr HQ Beamer IV, 3mtr PKD Buster II, 4.9mtr Flexifoil Blade III, 5.5mtr PKD Buster I, 5.5mtr PKD Brooza II, 7mtr PKD Buster I
16mtr PL Venom I
Org Flexifoil Buggy cut & shut with side rails
Now with the tandem option
MotoFoo86

Mood: Wishing for more fly time

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 11:06 PM

Spare money? What's that..... There's rent, food, bills, and kite money.... what is this spare money thing?

Kites:
HQ: Rush V Pro 350, Apex IV 5.5m, Montana VII 7m, Montana VIII 10m & 14m
Ozone access XC 4m, access v7 4m, access v6 12m, Frenzy 07 7.5m, Frenzy 9m
FlySurfer Speed 4 Lotus 21m, Speed 4 9m, Unity 6, & 10m, Psycho 3 13m
2010 Best Waroo 5m trainer LEI

GI Patrol 106, skis? yup lots, snowboards? Couple of those too
Libre full race stainless
Libre Hardcore
Unk

Mood: Watching the trees

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 02:15 AM

Surely its Kite money, rent, food and bills?

1.5mtr HQ Beamer IV, 3mtr PKD Buster II, 4.9mtr Flexifoil Blade III, 5.5mtr PKD Buster I, 5.5mtr PKD Brooza II, 7mtr PKD Buster I
16mtr PL Venom I
Org Flexifoil Buggy cut & shut with side rails
Now with the tandem option
Kcleelaws

[*] posted on 11-17-2016 at 11:01 AM

Yeah I love my 5m, I need a larger kite and a smaller kite. I have only gone out alone and self launching and landing is no big deal at all. I launch from straight down wind but if the wind is good, as soon as it start to launch I take it along the ground to the edge of the window. I use a ground stake on each handle as far apart as my strop line. This keeps it stabilized on the ground in high wind. With just 1 stake the kite would flip and reverse launch and become dangerous. I've flown in 25 mph which is pretty damn windy for the Beamer 5m but if you keep it out of the power zone it's awesome. Nice jumps too. I'll probably get a 3-4 meter Beamer next for more manageable trips to the beach. And a 12 or so meter depower someday after the 5 meter is less intimidating. I'm getting there but every time I feel completely confident, I get it out in high or gusty winds and I remember how hard it can actually pull.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio