Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sand skis
eric67m

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 08:25 AM
sand skis

A few years ago when I was starting to get into bigger kites my dad and I were out and ran into an old friend that he knew growing up. He has a background in the kiting world. I ended up buying my first four line kites from him (5M and 7M quad tracs). When i first bought my kites he showed me these skis. Apparently a friend of his made these. They used them for one way trips down the beach if the winds were right.

We ran into him again the other day and he offered them up to yry for the day. We took them out at the beach but the winds were heading inland. The bungee cord French wrap bindings were fun to adjust. I also found that the downturned tails would not allow you to move backwards while tying to launch a kite. They dug in and you would stumble back as your foot pulled out of the bindings. I tried my radsails Aztec 5M but it was not quite enough. I switched to my 5M pansh sprint because it has more lift and might get me moving better. I did get moving, could not turn, and ended going from the hard pack into the soft sand. I took a couple of runs this way.

It was fun to try something completely different and awkward. It made me laugh and put a big smile a on my face.

I just wanted to share because somebody put some time into making these years ago and the materials and craftsmanship was nice. The bottoms are slick hard plastic. The black strips under your foot are grippy textured. I'm sure something has come along in binding technology in the last few years that could be an addition....

Here are some pictures.

20160703_133124-resized-640.jpg - 182kB 20160703_133112-resized-640.jpg - 169kB 20160703_133133-resized-640.jpg - 175kB 20160703_133155-resized-640.jpg - 171kB

Flying A mixed quiver of Flysurfer Peak kites.

Rollin in the Popeye The Welder Playa buggy.
OffAxis

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 09:46 AM

Cool, thanks for sharing. Sounds slightly dangerous.

PL Venom II 16m, HQ Apex III 7.5m, Pansh Flux 2m & 4m
Kite Trike
Blake - US35

With much blessing comes great responsibility.
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 09:52 AM

man...what we are willing to do for entertainment its just plain stupid...sure ill try!

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
eric67m

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 11:17 AM

Whatever puts a smile on my face while I'm under a kite...

I did say watch this and I love you to my wife before launching the kite.

indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 11:54 AM

There are a couple of parks out west that offer sandboarding and sand sledding rentals.

One is in CO, but I know there are others...

https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/sandboardingsandsledd...

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
B-Roc

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 02:30 PM

I wonder what the thinking was in turning the tails down and thus creating a lot more friction and resistance?

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 04:51 PM

The various videos of folks hauling down steep sand dunes looks fun enough, but I'd really question the utility of sand skis (particularly short ones like those pictured) for use on flat sand akin to snow kiting. The big issue here is going to be friction. Even with the boards optimally surfaced and waxed these are going to stick like a mother at first.

One of the things I struggle with kite skating with 200x50mm tires on plush grass is high starting friction. Once underway things go smoother but high "stiction" makes for very clumsy moving around while not under high kite power. I'd think this was even worse with these sand skis.

I don't want to rain on any parades! A lot of what we do (read I do) is really goofy to regular non-kiting folks and sand ski kiting is just one more goofy thing to do. In that spirit I'm all for it, it's just the stiction issue I'm concerned with as a practical matter.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
eric67m

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 07:24 PM

I made a comment when I was about to start going about using someone's experiment from 30 years ago that obviously did not become a successful sport. Even that said it was a fun challenge and made me appreciate the stability of a buggy.

The plastic on the bottom of the skis was pretty hard and slick. My biggest problem and concern was not being able to edge or turn and you would quickly have the kite drop from the sky as you approached the speed of the wind when running straight.

It would be interesting to try them again with the wind running down the beach in both the either the soft or hard sand. I would possibly need a bigger kite.

PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 07:35 PM

grassski ! holy drop in !

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
volock

Mood: Choosing your new depower foil quiver is hard...

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 08:40 PM

You need fairly loose sand (like dunes) for proper carving on sand skis. As someone stuck in the desert, I remember us having some stupid fun in HS on both local hills and then taking a trip down to White Sands National Monument. Plastic slides well and they do make special wax that works better on it (I found an unwaxed ski > waxed ski of the snow variety wax). You will abrade the bottoms badly. Our all time favorite pair a friend and I destroyed were large children's skis with a plastic-ish bottom we spent $10 on at Goodwill.

I've always dreamed of making a pair of sand skis out of some aluminum and waxing them to give them a shot on dunes. Metal as you'll wear out any normal ski in a relatively short number of passes (think of it as sand blasting the bottom). I think a kite could greatly increase fun, but uphill is unlikely (at least at any real angle and not requiring many tacks / super long passes). I actually got the metal ski idea from an old thread here (with dead ebay links) http://www.coreloop.com/dump/full_metal_ski/full_metal_ski_2... obviously I'd want longer, say around shoulder to eyeball height (terrain park sizing) but wide.

All I can think is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVD79tBqPzg would have been able to set an even higher record given all that wind, had he had a kite!

NAPKA US314 (Pi)

Stunt Kites: GoFlyAKite Parastunter 1.4m | Pacific Quest Mighty Bug 0.5m and 1.0m | Prism Flip Kite
Arcs: Peter Lynn Venom 19m
Depower Foils: Flysurfer Peak 12m, Peter Lynn Lynx (2015) 5m, 9m
FB Foils: HQ Beamer II 3.6m | Ozone LittleDevil 4.5m | Pansh Ace 5m, 7m | PKD Busta Soulfly 1.5m, 2.4m, Brooza II 7.5m | Prism Tensor 5m | Thunderwing Parawings Set
LEIs: Cabrinha Convert SE 9m | Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 14.0m, Razor 12m, Storm 5.0m

Atomic Terrain Park Skis (w AT adapters for the wind dieing), Snowboard, 21" Isvidda Nordic Skates (NNN-BC and NIS bindings depending on the pair),
Badfisher 11' SUP, Ocean Rodeo JT Pro 138cm
Landyachtz DH Race (Bear 852 Trucks), MBS Comp 95X
RB Swindler, Skorpion Skates
Sysmic S2 Dune Midi XL Buggy
Mfwetu

[*] posted on 7-25-2016 at 03:42 AM
Sand Kite Skiing

Interesting looking skis but I can't imagine what the thinking behind the down-turn was.

This is my particular passion that I was introduced to 20 years ago and it's exactly like snow kiting - except I'm better prepared for global warming :D
I use old snow skis that I cut-down and friction is not a major issue. It is slower than snow kiting but you can still go upwind, uphill, etc. You just need to upsize the kite you normally use

I finally bought a cheap action cam and this was the first test clip I shot a few weeks back. Wind was light (8-12 knots) onshore.

https://youtu.be/bGppTIY6zpo
Windstruck

[*] posted on 7-25-2016 at 05:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mfwetu  
Interesting looking skis but I can't imagine what the thinking behind the down-turn was.

This is my particular passion that I was introduced to 20 years ago and it's exactly like snow kiting - except I'm better prepared for global warming :D
I use old snow skis that I cut-down and friction is not a major issue. It is slower than snow kiting but you can still go upwind, uphill, etc. You just need to upsize the kite you normally use

I finally bought a cheap action cam and this was the first test clip I shot a few weeks back. Wind was light (8-12 knots) onshore.

https://youtu.be/bGppTIY6zpo

Nice! I liked that you were able to breath new life into those vintage Atomic alpine skis. It might have just been the result of the video displayed, but it would appear that all the action was in one direction on the beach. Were you able to ski in the other direction or was there perhaps one gigantic Walk of Shame at the end of all that action?

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
B-Roc

[*] posted on 7-25-2016 at 08:36 AM

How much do you cut off of the ski (or what length do you settle on as ideal compared to your normal ski) and how do you seal the cut (epoxy)?

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
Mfwetu

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 04:42 AM

Quote:

Were you able to ski in the other direction or was there perhaps one gigantic Walk of Shame at the end of all that action?

My local beach is quite narrow so tacking upwind isn't an option and I'm very dependent on wind direction. The clip I loaded was at the start of the session - just after that I hit another wave with a bit of speed and got water on the lens so all the other footage is blurry. This session I could ski both ways but there's been many (many, many . . .) other times that it's a one-way trip.
My philosophy is there's no "walk of shame". Just like back-country skiing where you've got to earn every vertical metre you ski.
My local beach is quite short and I don't mind the walk but on longer ones I'll take a bike in the car, drop it off at my down-wind destination then drive back to the start. If your sand pit is big enough you can tack your way up-wind as you would with kitesurfing or snowkiting

Quote:

How much do you cut off of the ski (or what length do you settle on as ideal compared to your normal ski) and how do you seal the cut (epoxy)?

I just get old throw away skis from my local ski shop or pick up cheapies on e-bay so sealing the cut isn't something I really worry about too much. Usually I just brush super glue onto the cut to seal it but I guess epoxy would be better if you want them to last a bit longer.
After a bit of experimenting I've settled on a rough ratio for tail/binding/ tip of 10"/12"/24 -30". You're looking for a stiffish ski with a good rocker to ride over weed and tyre tracks (and dogs!!) but you don't need to be too fussy - my first pair of skis were just 20mm thick blocks of UHMPWE with 2mm thick strips of stainless screwed on to create edges and stiffen them

DSC_0006-1.jpg - 33kB IMG_0459-1.jpg - 70kB
Windstruck

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 05:33 AM

Quote:

Were you able to ski in the other direction or was there perhaps one gigantic Walk of Shame at the end of all that action?

My local beach is quite narrow so tacking upwind isn't an option and I'm very dependent on wind direction. The clip I loaded was at the start of the session - just after that I hit another wave with a bit of speed and got water on the lens so all the other footage is blurry. This session I could ski both ways but there's been many (many, many . . .) other times that it's a one-way trip.
My philosophy is there's no "walk of shame". Just like back-country skiing where you've got to earn every vertical metre you ski.
My local beach is quite short and I don't mind the walk but on longer ones I'll take a bike in the car, drop it off at my down-wind destination then drive back to the start. If your sand pit is big enough you can tack your way up-wind as you would with kitesurfing or snowkiting

Quote:

I just get old throw away skis from my local ski shop or pick up cheapies on e-bay so sealing the cut isn't something I really worry about too much. Usually I just brush super glue onto the cut to seal it but I guess epoxy would be better if you want them to last a bit longer.
After a bit of experimenting I've settled on a rough ratio for tail/binding/ tip of 10"/12"/24 -30". You're looking for a stiffish ski with a good rocker to ride over weed and tyre tracks (and dogs!!) but you don't need to be too fussy - my first pair of skis were just 20mm thick blocks of UHMPWE with 2mm thick strips of stainless screwed on to create edges and stiffen them

I LOVE those "boots"! What an excellent idea. I had assumed you were wearing ski boots and that you had traditional bindings mounted. Hardly a "walk of shame" at all with your toes sinking into cool, damp sand! Good stuff. :karate:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 02:59 PM

I think I might have an idea.... I made a sandboard once, and went down the dunes at kittyhawk NC. You go REALLY fast!!!! I think the downturn could be just enough in the soft dune sand to slow you down,or make it manageable.

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

Mfwetu

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 04:11 AM

Thanks Windstruck.

Weldngod that makes sense. They would have been made before carving became the norm in skiing and straight downhill could have been a bit scary.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio