Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tires and Wheels
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 09:15 AM
Tires and Wheels

I thought a bit of "Tire - Wheel 101" would be a good thing.

Any rim/tire set will leak air at some rate over a period of time. The problem is that there are a handful of reasons.

Tubeless setup-
Old, dry, loose, damaged valve core.
Dry, damaged valve stem.
Poorly drilled valve stem hole in wheel.
Dirty, damaged tire bead.
Dirty, damaged wheel/rim bead.

Tube type setup-
Old, dry, loose, damaged valve core.
Damaged valve stem/tube due to A foreign object in the wheel or tire.
A flaw in the valve stem hole of the wheel.

Things to consider,

Tube/wheel setup-
Hole placement for valve, center or offset.
Short valve or long valve, strait or bent (45 or 90 degree).
Correct tube size for tire.

Tube/tire sealant-
Will make tire out of round over time.
Unable to balance tire for high speeds.
Possible valve core sealing problems after usage.

Over heat/exploding tires-
Tire pressure increases in heat with possible explosive results.

Replacing valve stems, lite sanding on valve holes in wheels, use of dish soap during installation of valve stem and tires, clean areas of use, replacing damaged parts, lower air pressure while in storage/transport, are some of the solutions to tire/wheel problems.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
ssayre

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 11:32 AM

that is excellent information. On over heating, does that happen with tires with tire sealant and without?

It's no secret I like slime but it's important to note that if someone decides to use slime, they make 2 formulas. One for tubeless tires and one specific for tubes.
bigkid

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 12:15 PM

I was in the house one day and I heard a BAMMMM outside. upon searching for the sound and the blast sight all I found was the tire of my buggy about 10 feet away from the rim that was still on the bug. the tube was in shreds laying next to the wheel. The sun heated up the tire past its capacity and BLEW off the wheel. glad it wasnt on the road or in the car.
Once the tire pressure reaches the point of too late it blows off the rim. I for 1 will not investigate this to find out "when" it will happen. Carry your tires/wheels in the car, lower the air pressure and keep them out of direct sunlight. Keep them out in the hot sun, lower the air pressure.
I have talked to some of the world record seekers and tire pressure is key to any attempt, a low pressured tire will blow a tire because of heat buildup much like a semi hauling a load that blows a tire. Not sure I will ever blow a tire because Im going to fast, but who knows.

I have used 3 types of the sealant, and I have only 1 use for them. If I get a flat tire and I have to continue on with no spare I will use the sealant as an emergency patch to get me to a place were I can throw the tire away and replace it.
Tire shops will not deal with a tire that has had slime or another sealant in it. Trying to clean the wheel to install a new tire is up to me not the tire guy. I carry a large bottle of slime and a small bottle of slime and an aerosol can of quick fix for those emergencies only. Im not a big fan of the stuff, I have changed too many tires and wheels. I dont even mess with a customers wheel/tire if slime is in the equation. I will be more than happy to sell you a new tire/wheel that will not leak, after that they can fill it with concrete for all I care.:cool:

Flexboardz. Blokarts.
ssayre

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 12:55 PM

Those do sound like pesky inconvieniences with sealant, but since I never have to touch or think about my tires or rims since they never go flat it doesn't make any difference :moon:

If I have to finally get my hands a little dirty to clean a small rim when I have to change tires after a couple years of trouble free service than I think I'll manage.

Slime hasn't caused even the slightest of problems. I've only added a touch of air once in over a year and a half. Like I said, if I'm troubled to clean a small rim every few years I'll probably survive.

Only people that should have any concern at all are the 10% of us going 40+ where wheel balance could be an issue.
crewl1

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 01:35 PM

I usually keep the tires at about 1/2 pressure when I store the buggies.
On one of our last outings I was in a hurry to get going and couldn't figure out why the buggy was having trouble going upwind in strong wind.
Then my wife asked me why her tires seemed so spongy.
Duh - I forgot to pump them up.
I need to make a checklist for everything in my old age :(

Old guy flying aged kites riding fossil buggies on ancient playas.
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 01:55 PM

I used slime in tubes when I lived in California. My first time out there I had two flats before I headed home and the third went flat before I got the other two fixed. Little briars or thorns that would go all the way through the tire and tube. After adding the slime, I could just pull them out with pliers and the slime would seal the hole. Having the slime in the tube meant no mess in the wheel. Sometimes I could pull a dozen or more of them from each tire when I'd get home. I had to do the same thing along with a tire liner in our bikes there. Never another flat after that.

I would be concerned with having the slime in a tire I would go fast with. I'm sure it would be uneven in the tire and if it hopped any, the slime would migrate to the heavy spot.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
bigkid

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 01:56 PM

Ssayre, if it works for you than go with it. 40+, Is that it?:D

Flexboardz. Blokarts.
ssayre

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bigkid  
Ssayre, if it works for you than go with it. 40+, Is that it?:D

I'm pretty sure the fastest I've ever gone was with demoknight on one of my first few times in a buggy. His beach happened to be frozen and wind was perfect for my 4m twister. I theorize one of my runs had to be in the 30's but I wasn't using a gps.

I'm afraid at home all I've been able to do is mid to high twenties. And that's all I really care to do in my little xr buggy on bumpy fields. Expense and the rarity of decent buggies around here keep me from upgrading. I've decided I'm content with the thrills my little buggy dishes out.
3shot

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 04:28 PM

Funny you mention that "kaboom" Bigkid. This year at JIBE, me and markite were sorting gear before the afternoon run. We heard the dreaded boom too. We frantically starting looking at our buggys. Fortunately, it was my kids soccer ball they left in the sun. It had exploded. For a second we just knew somebody's afternoon was going to suck. You are right though. Those little tires build up some huge pressure sitting in the sun.

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24
4, 5, 6m ATB landsurfer. Custom longboard deck
Buggy: VTT Black Widow v2.0

http://hint.fm/wind/

ssayre

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 08:48 AM

beamerbob, I like the slimed tubes idea. I might switch over to that when change tires next.

Does anyone carry a spare on the buggy? Seems like it would be simple enough to mount one on the back axle. I don't have a need locally other than to have one in the truck (although I don't but probably should get one).

I thought about this when I make it to an event or somewhere wide open where walks back would be long like ibx. Seems like it would be nice to keep a standard barrow wheel mounted on the back as a spare. I would guess it would work like a donut to get back to camp if you were running big foots or just a replacement if running standard barrows.
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 10:15 AM

My local beach is only 1.4 miles long so a flat is not a big deal if I park mid length and had to walk back to car.

My experience, and on the surface I ride..... a flat is rare on my buggy wheels. If it was 8 mile long beach...I would consider a minimum I might bring would be a spare tube, patch kit, mini-pump(bike).

I have had some flats on my Coyote Rollerblades and could easily carry and swap out using a complete filled spare wheel.
The other thing is, just carrying a couple tiny Allen wrenches.... you can move a flat wheel to middle(if not middle)and use remaining two to ride still... unlike a buggy!

Having a whole barrows wheel ready to put on is not a bad thing... but never seen a spare on anyone's set up.
Have seen a filled spare back in a car...but not on stored on buggy.
markite

[*] posted on 6-13-2016 at 06:47 AM

or just use wheels like these guys - looks like the hold a good line at high speed!;)

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio