Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reflections
3shot

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 5-9-2016 at 06:39 PM
Reflections

Well another JIBE has come and gone. A huge thank you to Angus for making the rides at Jekyll possible. We are already planning 2017 JIBE. I think Scott said it best. We didn't have the best wind this year. It blew offshore all but Monday and late Friday. However, the peeps rallied every day to ride what we could. It lent more time for hanging out and just having a good time. That's what it is all about anyway. The evening "socials" were the best ever this JIBE. Dinners, lunches, porch light beers, and snack bar buffets just about every night at some location.

The hardest part of JIBE is saying good bye to all the wonderful people. Got a little choked up Saturday several times. It just makes the next JIBE that much more anticipated. So many nice folks. Always offering help and advice. New pilots so eager to learn, and seasoned veterans lending the hands. Mark and I struggled (to say the least) with our vehicles, but still managed to laugh it off over a few beers every night. Thank you to everyone that offered rides while we got our cars and trucks repaired!!!!

Now starts the video editing.... If you were on the beach Friday, I'm pretty sure I got you on film.

Until next year.....

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24
4, 5, 6m ATB landsurfer. Custom longboard deck
Buggy: VTT Black Widow v2.0

http://hint.fm/wind/

markite

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 08:31 AM

We made it back home later monday eve and brought back the usual amount of sand mixed into bags now spread throughout parts of the hallway and kitchen after unloading.
This year had it's ups and downs for sure - most of the downs were related to things other than JIBE. Car problems could have been far worse but it was the stress of not knowing and having to impose ourselves on wonderful friends until we got it all sorted. Anyway it's all one big family and we dealt with it. Despite all my planning for great videos and photos i didn't get any GoPro footage and only a few photos one day so I'll look forward to seeing more of what the others captured this year.

Because sunday and monday morning were dealing with car issues Jason and i didn't get down to the beach until mid afternoon but we did get to ride a good couple of hours or more of that fantastic day. Everyone was having a great time and long runs south and ripping back north - later afternoon the direction changed just a few degrees and picked up so heading north was uber fast and feeling more like racing on the playa. Errol had his RC truck out racing around chasing people and I already skimmed some the vids and they look great. It was probably a day of personal bests for some people.

Winds switched direction tuesday and was getting spotty rolling over the dunes. Randy had rigged a sail for his ATB and was able to get riding while others used a mix of kites and found sections of beach to ride between holes in the wind.
Tues eve turned into a good opportunity for a large group of us to check out the new village pub for dinner followed by a large gathering back at the rental - good thing the other units were empty other than kiters - it was a great evening of story telling and indulging in Aunt B's famous cookies.

Wednesday was the same except a lot stronger and far more turbulent. Many people were using their smallest kites and just dealing with the conditions. When it was super windy and punchy it meant holes in the wind and then a sledge hammer of power and then a switch in direction, inverts, collapsing kites etc but with smaller kites it was fairly easy to deal with the crap and squeeze in some fun. First time JIBE attendee Jean Louis from Montreal showed us all it was possible to buggy with stacks of dual line stunt kites - the crazy winds forced him to baptize his kites in the brown water a few times. Mid afternoon I ventured to the kite optional beach and did a little bear buggy riding - there may be blackmail photos somewhere so I'll have to go into hibernation.
Late day wednesday as the tide was almost in the wind switched and did a 180 coming onshore from the SE but it was already too late in the day for any buggy able space. Phillip and Chad went to the northwest tip and managed some riding on a narrow strip of beach.
Wednesday evening was an evening put together by the ladies and hosted at Ted and Holly's place - almost everyone gathered for food and drinks and a great social eve (sorry Michael missed the messages online about it), there was a lot of beer sampling and sharing that eve. Even the usual Jekyll Island deer dropped by for a visit. Walking back don the street a group of 11 ran past and around us then 4 stood off to the side watching and another two a few properties ahead - 17 deer in no more than 200 feet. I did set a GoPro up to take interval photos so I'll check if i actually caught something - I did see Spencer standing in front of it for quite a while so chances are I do have a lot of back photos in there :-)

Thursday was again offshore wind and it was amazing to see just how far the exposed sandbar went out - you needed to take your passport with you when going for a walk out to explore the tip. It was again buggyable but you needed to deal with the turbulent wind and it was a bit better later afternoon. Chad, Phillip, Errol and I think maybe James as well got up to the NW tip and took turns riding the narrower section of beach and sounded like they had a good time taking turns.
Thurs eve was another fun dinner night out exploring the different options on the island - Driftwood Bistro.

Friday started off with late morning/noon bbq and buffet social and Davis had finally arrived so we all got to grab our shirts and stickers and then a group wind dance and hoisting Angus on our shoulders to flip the wind switch it turned on to another fantastic onshore wind day. Once again everyone had a good time whether looking for speed runs or doing freestyle slide and rides or throwing around some airs on boards. Smiles all round (spattered with globs of whale snot in some cases). The end of the afternoon still had nice winds but the tide was coming in so we squeezed in as much as we could to milk every minute out of that last day for many - for me the fun of trying to find the room to try and do a reverse deadman was really one of the hi lights just listening to the gang on the beach - i really hope Jason caught this on video.
Friday eve was another social eve at the Rah Bar - always amazing sunsets and quite a few showed up again to feed to some nasty blood sucking gnats for a while and then have some laughs and wrap up the week.

Saturday was a day when many had left early morning to start the trip home and a small handful were still there. The wind struggled to come around and showed moments of potential. A few guys did some water sessions and Jason and I did some static flying on the north end and winding down.

I know I have missed a few but here are some of the attendees i remembered sharing JIBE 2016 with:
- Angus and Joan (acampbell) - thanks for doing all you do and for establishing this great spring get together and maintaining "the switch" - glad you got the sand cleaned out that fouled the direction controller mid week - and big thanks for the assistance with pointing me in the right direction for car repairs
- Davis (Cheeks) - thanks for the providing us with the t shirts and stickers that we all look forward to
- Scott (flyguy0101), Devon, Andrew, Carter - always a good time seeing the family and catching up and watching Andrew and Carter getting taller and mad skills with the ATB and soccer ball
- Holly and Ted (tedwesley) - congrats on the retirement Ted and I hope Holly takes it easier on you with that list of projects. Thanks again for hosting wednesday eve. and I hope you have a good second week on Jekyll - maybe use some of those strange whacker club things?
- Chris (pokitetrash) and Frank (frankiter) - always a laugh and you guys have a lot of fun riding and thanks so much for Aunt Bs cookies we really do appreciate them.
- Errol (demoknight) and Anna - great riding as usual, good stories, good beer, good times and awesome RC!
- Phillip (pbc) - you always have fun riding and can squeeze every minute of rideable time out of day - always infectious with your pure love of riding
- Spencer (soliver), Ashley, the little ladies and Lucy - Good to see everyone and you able to get some buggy time in and around all your family time - thanks for the hot dog bbq!
- Chad (phreerider) - another one who always spreads the stoke by just loving to ride anytime on land or water and sharing your knowledge experience to the new guys
- Randy (randy) - it was again a short visit but saw you riding monday and tuesday
- Michael (Michael Gaylan) and Wife (very sorry I can't recall her name but someone please correct me) - you fought those gusty winds and survived, improving every year.
- Alex - Alex always has a smile riding the land sailor and thanks for the beauty photo from the evening at the Rah bar
- Jim (jrhook) - good to meet you, I hope I didn't get in your way when we were all out zig zagging around the beach in front of where we set up. (thanks for lending a battery wed night)
- Jim (Jimssi) - always a good laugh to talk with and got to follow you around this year to the south end.
- Nils and Chris - new buggy pilot, really nice green buggy (although it's slow green) - looking forward to seeing you get on the forum
- Jean Louis and Nicole - first time JIBE attendees, made the trip from Montreal. We had a lot of fun meeting and spending time with you and will see you again soon
- Jason (3shot), Amanda, Abigail & Hanna - I can't begin to thank you enough for all of the help with the car. You were stressed enough with your vehicle and still made sure we were taken car of and shuttled around and i know we were all stressed a good 2 days before we could really start to relax - all the rest is the usual good buggy, dining, social and beer time.

I missed a few that remember seeing but I'm sorry i don't have the names etc - Fiona and I really enjoy coming down and spending time with everyone and great fun getting to ride with y'all (see I learned some southern)
Mark & Fiona

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
Randy

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 09:08 AM

It was a short trip for me, but a great one for sure. Got to meet a lot of people and had some great riding. I arrived late Saturday and rode several hours Sunday and Monday. Tuesday was an experiment with my windsurf sail, and it was a successful one until the rain came. I did my landsailing in a small parking lot for years (and spent a lot of time looking for parking better lots) but never had a place like Jekkyl for landsailing. Runs of a mile or so up and down the beach were something I always dreamed of. I'll bring it again next year in case the offshore winds roll in again. I did learn this much - its a lot more work than being pulled by a kite!

I enjoyed seeing all of the other kites, and was really impressed with the stacked deltas and r/c/ camera truck. One of the best parts was not being the only guy running around with a GoPro on his head.....One of these days I will get my video cut down from major motion picture length to that of a TV commercial and post it on youtube.:D

JIBE sort of marks the end of my kite/ATB season. The few locations I have for the sport are usually too crowded with cars and people in the warm weather months. So I am confined to miserable days (I look forward to them) from November to March. I get an odd day here and there but nothing certain. JIBE is a great way to end the season since it gives me a reason to look forward to the next one. In this past season I've found several new places for kite/ATB and met my goal of improving a bit each year. Can't wait for next season. In the meantime, I'll keep making kites, flying static, hitting the water and hopefully scoring a ride often enough to keep in practice! JIBE is a great event and I hope to keep coming for years.

Thanks to Angus for all his efforts in putting this together, NAPKA for supporting the event and all of the friendly kiters and family that made this so memorable.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 09:13 AM

I almost feel like I was there now but no sand to show for it. Thanks for the great write up Mark. 2018 should have me there in the flesh.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
3shot

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 03:01 PM

That is an impressive write up Mark!!

Here is a sneak peak of the "bear" kite lol. Last year was the minions.

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24

3shot

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 04:19 PM

Just a snapshot of what makes JIBE so great. Some of the gang at the Wee Pub Tuesday night (I think)

Me, Amanda, and kiddos-Abigail and Hannah
Mark and Fiona
Frank
Chris
Errol and Annah
Phillip
Nils
Jean-Louis and Nichole

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24

PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 04:50 PM

nice bear shot !

right on Mark . thanks for the Q-line! set is ready to rock.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 09:17 PM

Love the Pics Jason!

We had a splendid week last week and are now enjoying ourselves in SSI.

Glad to hear everyone got home ok!

We had a great time and enjoyed everyone's company for sure!

I'm going to take a nap now
markite

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 09:45 PM

the shot from friday night at the Rah Bar
from left around to right: Davis, Anna & Errol, Fiona & Mark & crawfish, Chris, Frank, Alex, Phillip, Michael & his wife

Rah Bar_small.jpg - 187kB

Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
markite

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 09:23 AM

I totally forgot about tuesday evening's social hi light. A bunch of us were sitting outside at our communal rental and the watering system went on and the first shot went straight up the Chris's shorts - hilarious!

DSC_1781_crop_sm.jpg - 149kBDSC_1782_crop_sm.jpg - 156kBDSC_1783_crop_sm.jpg - 166kBDSC_1784_crop_sm.jpg - 145kB

3shot

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 06:42 PM

Man we had a good time that night! I only lost 4 pints of blood from those biting gnats lol . We'll bring the bug candles next year.

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24

TEDWESLEY

Mood: cat-like,I stalk the wind, finding little, I nap.

[*] posted on 5-12-2016 at 12:33 PM

Better yet stay 2 weeks! Jean Louis and I have had Jekyll winds for the last three days and looking good for today as well.
Tides are late but everyone on the beach departs at 4:00pm. Full beach runs without varying your line to avoid people.
Park and Riiiiiiiiiide. It was great to mingle with all of you

Reactors 2.8 3.5 6.9
Peaks 4m 6m 12m
HQ Neo2 11m Ozone Chrono V2 15m WASP 5m
Flexi wide axle w/mids and runners
Skis Nordic skates and winter stuff
Quatro Wing Foilboard Slingshot Foils
NAPKA US06
soliver

[*] posted on 5-12-2016 at 09:29 PM

Been doing the same here on SSI, Ted... good stuff!

3shot

[*] posted on 5-13-2016 at 08:36 AM

Happy winds to those still riding!

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24

soliver

[*] posted on 5-13-2016 at 09:40 PM

After an excellent 2 weeks of vacationing and buggying, we are headed back to metro ATL tomorrow. I had an awesome time as always at JIBE in spite of the lack luster wind through the middle of the week, but the beauty of both Monday and Friday as well as all the time with friends and family made up for it.

Here now on Saint Simons for the week after, I can tell you that I feel like my riding and skill level has grown A LOT. A new PB closer to 30 mph and a new riding buddy in Jim (JimSSI) and I feel like I have had an awesome, awesome, awesome time riding with the locals and meeting a couple of cool guys and can't wait to be back next year. It looks like the Fam will be hitting SSI first next year and closing out our Vaca with JIBE (in order to avoid the Memorial Day crowds).

Thanks of course to Angus for working with the JIA and getting us all set up and thanks to NAPKA for sponsoring the event!

Thanks Jim, John, Elijah and the others of the local SSI crew... good times for sure!

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio