Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NAPKA Insurance
volock

Mood: Choosing your new depower foil quiver is hard...

[*] posted on 12-5-2015 at 11:42 PM
NAPKA Insurance

Does NAPKA still provide liability insurance with the membership fee?

NAPKA US314 (Pi)

Stunt Kites: GoFlyAKite Parastunter 1.4m | Pacific Quest Mighty Bug 0.5m and 1.0m | Prism Flip Kite
Arcs: Peter Lynn Venom 19m
Depower Foils: Flysurfer Peak 12m, Peter Lynn Lynx (2015) 5m, 9m
FB Foils: HQ Beamer II 3.6m | Ozone LittleDevil 4.5m | Pansh Ace 5m, 7m | PKD Busta Soulfly 1.5m, 2.4m, Brooza II 7.5m | Prism Tensor 5m | Thunderwing Parawings Set
LEIs: Cabrinha Convert SE 9m | Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 14.0m, Razor 12m, Storm 5.0m

Atomic Terrain Park Skis (w AT adapters for the wind dieing), Snowboard, 21" Isvidda Nordic Skates (NNN-BC and NIS bindings depending on the pair),
Badfisher 11' SUP, Ocean Rodeo JT Pro 138cm
Landyachtz DH Race (Bear 852 Trucks), MBS Comp 95X
RB Swindler, Skorpion Skates
Sysmic S2 Dune Midi XL Buggy
shehatesmyhobbies

Mood: Serious Buggy withdraws!

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 07:06 AM

Well here it is in a nutshell, your membership fees gives you access to, upon approval from underwriters with a COI, ... coverage of liability for a property owner or entity, such as a local municipality against damages or injury incurred while using said property, as well as against by-stander, while you are using said property basically keeping you or an individual from going after said property owner or entity for said damages or injuries. Can be used for an event, or "practicing for an event. The latter being possible of continuous use during a specific month or other named amount of time, pending underwriters approval as well. Any questions send me an email at Fordtrkfan at yahoo dot com I can try and help you further and you can explain your situation to me.

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
My ride: GT Rapide
Check out the Wildwood Buggy Bash Facebook page!
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 07:16 AM

Nicely said Rich.:thumbup:

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
shehatesmyhobbies

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 07:31 AM

Thanks Jeff, I've had a little practice :D. The only thing I will add is that you are limited to using a Buggy, land board, kite skates, or dirt surfer currently. I tried to get snow kiting added, but underwriters weren't having it currently. Will revisit eventually.

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
volock

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 01:31 PM

Thanks Rich. That answers my question inre what I needed to suggest to a friend. Now to go get my NAPKA membership before I forget again.

Personally I wasn't worried about it as I carry a liability umbrella on my car/renter's/commercial insurance, that will more than cover me for those situations. One of our local fields is requiring proof of coverage of a minimum of $1,000,000 in liability to get a gate pass to get on the field now. Given SPKA dropped insurance, IKO is without a vendor for international insurance, PASA isn't sure they're renewing their deal with their current underwriter, I was curious if NAPKA had ended up going down a similar road. Obviously BPKA is out for people in the US given you'd need to spend at least 6 months abroad a year. I may try to get our local group of fliers designated as an AKA club (and so going out can be club flies) so we can get covered for insurance through them to help the people who don't have the insurance keep/get gate cards. I remember being a poor college student, and not having the money (or need) for that kind of insurance.

Stinks they won't cover us for snow-kiting, though I can understand some, as getting coverage for snow sports is often a little different. Venue we're referring to is closed if any snow/ice/frost on the ground.

As I missed seeing it, is NAPKA also skipping static Rich?

NAPKA US314 (Pi)

Stunt Kites: GoFlyAKite Parastunter 1.4m | Pacific Quest Mighty Bug 0.5m and 1.0m | Prism Flip Kite
FB Foils: HQ Beamer II 3.6m | Ozone LittleDevil 4.5m | Pansh Ace 5m, 7m | PKD Busta Soulfly 1.5m, 2.4m, Brooza II 7.5m | Prism Tensor 5m | Thunderwing Parawings Set

Atomic Terrain Park Skis (w AT adapters for the wind dieing), Snowboard, 21" Isvidda Nordic Skates (NNN-BC and NIS bindings depending on the pair),
shehatesmyhobbies

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 05:16 PM

We don't consider static flying to be traction kiting, so I always say, you are free to fly at our events not being a NAPKA member all the way up till you decide to use a device to "ride" using a kite for power.

Word on the street is lots are unable to renew or obtain insurance for sports deemed "extreme", usually meaning the underwriters have no idea what it is you are doing, even read a little blip where paragliding schools are having issues getting renewed.

FYI, just in case, AKA, no longer covers any traction type kiting in any of their flies.

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
volock

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 06:05 PM

Thanks Rich, I wasn't sure for static why it was skipped. That both makes sense and is great for bystanders, and at the same time stinks for some people.

I hadn't read through the details on the AKA exclusions yet, so you just saved me a ton of time. I know they are pretty flexible on what constitutes an event and club, which is nice, but has it's own drawbacks.

Actuaries have a tough time making decisions on extreme sports, especially with how "open" most of our venues are, to even give the underwriters info on how to quote a policy. Glad you guys have been able to keep some of your insurance. Luckily I don't run a school and have plenty of coverage personally. Was just trying to help figure out the easiest access route for people around here. Especially as we have such limited places to go.

NAPKA US314 (Pi)

shehatesmyhobbies

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 06:23 PM

Myself and a couple others have done a lot of searching trying to better our opportunities and adding to what NAPKA can offer for coverage, it's definitely a slippery slope, pun intended. Looked into PASA, and IKO underwriters, and several others trying to get the kite skiiing taken care of after our underwriters flip flopped on us about it.

I appreciate as I'm sure the locals do as well, the help you are trying to provide. It isn't easy dealing with these issues, and likely never will be.

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
shehatesmyhobbies

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 11:18 AM

I will take a second to congradulate our club and all it's members, as of this date and since NAPKA's inception we have ZERO filed claims of damage or bystander injuries! That I am extremely proud of!

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio