Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Seatbelt / Hotwire / AQR
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 8-8-2016 at 06:26 PM

It's a snap shackle. The whichard is not reliable and WILL NOT OPEN IF UPSIDE DOWN. Besides its to hard to connect to a beaner for release.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 8-8-2016 at 11:18 PM

Buggiers from all over the world avoid the pin style snap shackle because it is prone to jam from sand or other small particles. I had one as my first manual release and replaced it with a Wichard. The Wichard is somewhat symmetrical to release but this can be remedied by attaching something like the tip of a fid to the release line which forces the bail open no matter the pull direction. I've seen double handkerchiefs used as well but that wouldn't work well on an auto release. A "biner" or carabiner could be attached. I used a screw shackle on my second setup.

I applaud Jeffs efforts to make an automatic release for our community. Remember, a manual release is for after the first impact.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
bigkid

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 05:21 AM

The wichard has an up side and a down side. You have to pull the string in the correct direction or it will not open. If it is setup for you to pull down with your right hand, try to pull it up with your right hand and it won't open.
As for the snap shackle jamming and getting stuff in it to the point where it doesn't open , there are different grades of quality. You can buy the $7.00 ones or spend $78.00 for the quality ones. I prefer the more expensive models. Or you could just keep the thing clean, or not.

Flexboardz. Blokarts.
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 06:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hiaguy  
Steve, I've flown it without the block a couple of times, but haven't really had it tested.
My only concern is the possibility of the plastic chicken loop being "stuck" to the snapshakle (preventing a quick slide out) versus the hard metal of the block sliding off cleanly. Seems that not using the block adds an additional pain point.
Either way, I appreciate the added safety that it provides.
(Yes, Jeff, it is. Thanks!)

Thanks for your feedback Howard; greatly appreciated. I too thought about the "sticky" plastic/metal interface. The good news here I think lies in how this particular $78 snap shackle opens. When triggered it swings open so wide that there doesn't seem to be anything to hold back the separation of the chicken loop from the shackle. There would seemingly be a distractive force involved, so even if the plastic "stuck" to the metal I think they would separate without appreciable resistance.

I will hopefully get my maiden run this Friday or over the weekend. Jeff insists (and he's right of course) that I've got to test it. I figure I'll get going on a nice run down the middle of a grass field and send the kite high and backwards and pull in the DP bar. Gulp. :sniff::(

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
ssayre

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 06:59 AM

Just don't forget to let go of the bar :D
Windstruck

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
Just don't forget to let go of the bar :D

You mean like when I went Aquaman on my first waterskiing outing? I must have submarined for at least 50 feet before it occurred to me that my best option might be to part ways with the tow bar. Hey, I was 15 so most certainly young and stupid. Now I'm simply 55 and..... :karate:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 8-11-2016 at 06:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Windstruck  
I recently acquired an AQR system from Jeff (BigKid). It is really nicely put together. There was wonderful wind today but it blew in completely the wrong direction so no maiden voyage today!

I am going to initially use the system with DP kites and as such will be looping a chicken loop through the mechanism, not a strop line. One thing I was concerned about was that if I strung the chicken loop through the pulley mechanism that I would build a few extra inches into the system, making my arms really outstretched when I had the bar fully out in DP. To get around this I'm considering skipping the pulley mechanism altogether and just run the chicken loop directly through the snap shackle as show in the second picture.

Thoughts on this?

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Curious,... with this type of set up, do you still just hook your safety line in same way?... seems like that would make sense. I have all of these goodies too and could make this work for my 6m P1 easily. Then I REALLY don't need to be concerned with the broken Donkey Appendage.

I'm going to take a nap now
Windstruck

[*] posted on 8-11-2016 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  

Curious,... with this type of set up, do you still just hook your safety line in same way?... seems like that would make sense. I have all of these goodies too and could make this work for my 6m P1 easily. Then I REALLY don't need to be concerned with the broken Donkey Appendage.

By my reckoning there would be essentially three ways to hook into the 4.5 / 5th line. In the lower photo you can just see some red cord looping around the spreader bar in the middle of the rigid D-ring. That's a short Ozone leash with its own little tophat release and carabiner. The other two ways in my view would be to attach this same Ozone leash to a buggy side rail or hook this short leash to the carabiner supplied by Jeff that is essentially an extension of the main strap coming up from your marbled region. In all cases I'm using the Ozone short leash so that I have a final cutaway option in case all hell breaks loose.

Of the three I think I like the first approach (leash originating from the spreader bar) since I want the 5th line still attached to me once I stand up after the snap shackle has released and kept me from "Spencering" my foot. I haven't actually tried any of thes options so I may modify once I truly field test things. As you know, you're still strapped to the buggy via the ring coming off the snap shackle even after release, so I figure on coming to a stop, unhooking the AQR carabiner from the snap shackle and standing up with the 5th line on me as per the usual setup.

Agreed that this set up would obviate the need for the donkey. I figured with your masters degree I could now use a term like obviate. ;)

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 8-16-2016 at 05:31 AM

Sounds good, no "Spencering" is deffo a good plan on all accounts. ... If you asked my wife what it means to Spencer something, the Oxford Unabridged definition would probably be something like so:

Spencer:1. Noun; a guy who forgets things within a 5 to 10 minutes span of being told critical information (usually due to daydreaming or distraction). 2. Verb; to forget something within a 5 to 10 span of being told critical information (usually due to daydreaming or distraction). (usage: "Hey sweety, what did you ask me to get you at the grocery store, I totally Spencered that list") 3. Verb; Having lots of daughters. (usage: "Yeah, he totally Spencered and now he's broke,... but hey, he's blessed!")

So Dr. Steve, not to obviate the discussion of donkey weiners, but I've totally Spencered as to why I was typing this post,... I ought to do some work now anywho... OOOH LOOK A SQUIRREL!

I'm going to take a nap now
Cheeks

Mood: My name is Davis and I'm an addict.

[*] posted on 8-16-2016 at 06:26 PM

I'm a big man, 275 and have a heavy buggy, 85lbs. At 360lbs. I stay on the ground with at least 2 wheels. Even broke a set of kite killers when I let go of the handles when up on 2 wheels. That will get you back on all 3 in a hurry. Crazy gust at OOBE field.

I use a seat belt. A flipper type, the kind you can buy through JC Whitneys. It's super fast to release and under pressure it only takes your little finger to release. Had the local upholstery shop make the
side rail attachments. I didn't do a lot of research about a seat belt, it was just common seance to me. but did go to the local auto salvage to check out which seat belt would work the best. Older Chevy type. If you enlarge my avatar you'll see my belt and my AQR that came loose under the seat. That won't happen again.

I also use it with a AQR with a Wichard on top of it with a snatch block. I guess I'm kind of like the guy that wears suspenders AND a belt.

I was lucky to find 2 Stainless steel Swedish Wichards at a horse tack shop, used for $20@. The lady said they retail for $110@ Got lucky. I've got a 8" braided leash on the pull and it's easy to grab on my lap to release. Have not had an issue with dirt or sand clogging it up.

With some practice I learned to launch hot as long as the buggy was pointed at the kite. This was necessary to learn because I buggy solo most of the time. I like it! It's like putting your foot on the gas and off you go, with an adjustment to your angle and your up to speed.

The only time I've been hurt was when I used NEITHER! Launched at the side in a high wind and went
to buggy, sat down and didn't have time to get buckled in or hooked up. That won't happen again!:(

All in all, I feel secure and somewhat safe when I buggy and think I've found a workable combination.
I think the over the shoulder harness is a bit of an over kill. Simple works best.

NAPKA US 47
District 17 Representative.

Beamer 1.8m, 2.5m A Chekka A few Zebras
4m Ozone Access de-power foil, prototype (for sale)
Wipika gear 5m DP (for sale) PL 8.6m Reactor
Big E NPW 21 6m custom NASA
A couple of monster tube kites I don't have the balls yet to fly.
Ivanpah Heavy with Big Kid mods. Other junk and stuff for fun.

OOBE Field Dirt Diver

"The function of life is to live it, not to exist" Jack London 1916
bigkid

[*] posted on 8-16-2016 at 07:35 PM

Davis, good to know you have something to keep your butt in that awesome buggy. Funny how the term "over kill" is used in conjunction with a safety system. If your system works for you, I say wonderful. However if it fails at some point, more than likely it's due to pilot error. Better something than nothing.

On the subject of being on 2 wheels, that was the only part of the ergonomically designed side rails that scared me. I have one of those buggies and the thought of the buggy leaving the ground while still attached to me doesn't change the fact that it's still something that can go wrong be out of my control as to the outcome. Of course there are pros and cons to everything and anything that we do and participate in. The key is to eliminate as much of the unforeseen as possible. For me it was a matter of preservation of the body parts that I have that are still in good shape not wanting to break every bone in my body I'm happy with The broken ones I have that have healed.
I have heard from some that the older you get the less you bounce. Kind of like an old basketball that has seen too much play and only sits on the shelf as a reminder of better times.

Flexboardz. Blokarts.
Cheeks

Mood: My name is Davis and I'm an addict.

[*] posted on 8-16-2016 at 09:49 PM

"Funny how the term "over kill" is used in conjunction with a safety system."

Should I have said "under kill'? Or... not likely to get killed?:D

The buggy I have I bought from Big Kid and it was the buggy that he perfected his AQR with.

The stinger at the end of the swans neck is genius. One of your best contributions to safety issues Jeff! I'm surprised that more builders haven't incorporated it.

It takes the load off your arms and waist. Great place to anchor your AQR. Makes for a stress less ride and I can stay in the saddle longer without fatigue. A simple solution to a complex problem. No more rubber band arms.

In fact, I have several different harness's and haven't worn one in several sessions once I got my strop lengths measured out and terminated with beaners. Easy swap between line sets and handles.

Just knowing I have a bail out system in place is real plus. Better something than nothing.

NAPKA US 47
District 17 Representative.

Beamer 1.8m, 2.5m A Chekka A few Zebras
4m Ozone Access de-power foil, prototype (for sale)
Wipika gear 5m DP (for sale) PL 8.6m Reactor
Big E NPW 21 6m custom NASA
A couple of monster tube kites I don't have the balls yet to fly.
Ivanpah Heavy with Big Kid mods. Other junk and stuff for fun.

OOBE Field Dirt Diver

"The function of life is to live it, not to exist" Jack London 1916
Windstruck

[*] posted on 8-17-2016 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
Sounds good, no "Spencering" is deffo a good plan on all accounts. ... If you asked my wife what it means to Spencer something, the Oxford Unabridged definition would probably be something like so:

Spencer:1. Noun; a guy who forgets things within a 5 to 10 minutes span of being told critical information (usually due to daydreaming or distraction). 2. Verb; to forget something within a 5 to 10 span of being told critical information (usually due to daydreaming or distraction). (usage: "Hey sweety, what did you ask me to get you at the grocery store, I totally Spencered that list") 3. Verb; Having lots of daughters. (usage: "Yeah, he totally Spencered and now he's broke,... but hey, he's blessed!")

So Dr. Steve, not to obviate the discussion of donkey weiners, but I've totally Spencered as to why I was typing this post,... I ought to do some work now anywho... OOOH LOOK A SQUIRREL!

:lol::lol::lol:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio