Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: light wind skill building
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 03:54 PM
light wind skill building

I haven't had the opportunity to really give my 9m peak a thorough test in my target winds for the kite. Today wind was light and fairly consistent. We've had rain so wind was a little too light to traverse the wet ground very well. It worked but it was more work than fun. Luckily I have a paved road I can use that borders the grass. I only had a 100 yards or so of pavement to use given the wind direction. It's too narrow to complete a turn so I would use the grass on the upwind side of the pavement then complete the turn. Wind was very light so about the time I would get going again on the pavement after a turn, I would have to start to turn again. I kept at it somehow knowing that I had the wind to make faster runs. I changed the way I normally hold the bar by having one hand maintaining bar position in and out and one hand on the end that did all the steering. I figured out that I had to plan my turns in advance and start turning the kite before leaving the asphalt, then use my momentum to make the turn in the grass and make it back to the asphalt before or at same time as I dipped the kite back into the power zone after the transition so as to keep momentum. Success, those little changes in kite and buggy piloting made all the difference in wanting to give up for the day and having a fun session for next hour and half. Wind never changed, but my piloting did. It was kind of one of those aha moments that seem to come fewer and further between the longer you've been kiting. I hadn't been in the buggy for probably a month and a half so I'm trying to capitalize on days I can make it out. Kind of recharges the batteries when you discover something new or are able to make the most out of a spot and wind conditions. Although, I am getting a little tired of learning about low wind. :rolleyes:
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 05:12 PM

Yeah, I've had a lot of those kind of days, where the wind is light and you just have to reprogram yourself to make those changes to make it work... for me though if I have a lot of those light wind days I get stuck in those light wind motions and have to reprogram myself for the stronger winds... great read Sean,... good on you for your AHA moment!

I'm going to take a nap now
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 05:19 PM

every little bit helps! the net is small, but used effectively puts you motion! nice man. only time gives up the secrets YOU need.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 06:05 PM

Keep at it, having to plan your turns develops skills many other will not be able to have.
This is the idea behind having a quiver of kites,(the same make and model in all the sizes made) it gives you the ability to fly the same kite in any wind. Zero to Nuking high winds with the only thing changing is the size of the kite, all other aspects remain the same.
Anybody can buggy in strong winds, not everyone can buggy in zero to light winds. :thumbup:

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 06:49 PM

2nd Bigkid. Light wind flying builds crazy good handling skills in a short period of time. And you'll feel like a damn rockstar in normal winds.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 11:03 AM

Thanks guys. Recorded weather data for the day showed plus or minus 8 mph. All it took was to carry enough momentum through turns to get apparent wind kicking in and I was set. Luckily wind direction was dead on the section of asphalt I was using so runs back and forth were equally as good. I could get going fast enough to pull off some great slides in the wet grass. However, if I wasted momentum on a slide, I would pay for it by having to make a slow run to the next transition or 2 to build back up.
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 12:14 PM

Sean - I'm completely tracking with you about having had plenty (read: too much) low wind practice, but the guys are right, this is where you build so many good skills. Plus, I sort of like having problems like the one you describe to tackle. It's not often that one gets a chance to work a problem again and again, refining things as you go along and having, as you said, AHA moments along the way!

You'll spend all this time sweating the finesse stuff in your janky conditions and then strut like the head rooster when you get wide open spaces!

I have a couple of spots where I buggy that have "problems" and I love them. One is a small steep grass slope nestled between a set of built-into-the-hill bleachers and a concrete retaining wall. When the wind is right I can make my turn on this pitch. Pretty low margin of error for both the buggy and the kite. You can see this here starting at about 35 seconds:

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
I haven't had the opportunity to really give my 9m peak a thorough test in my target winds for the kite. Today wind was light and fairly consistent. We've had rain so wind was a little too light to traverse the wet ground very well. It worked but it was more work than fun. Luckily I have a paved road I can use that borders the grass. I only had a 100 yards or so of pavement to use given the wind direction. It's too narrow to complete a turn so I would use the grass on the upwind side of the pavement then complete the turn. Wind was very light so about the time I would get going again on the pavement after a turn, I would have to start to turn again. I kept at it somehow knowing that I had the wind to make faster runs. I changed the way I normally hold the bar by having one hand maintaining bar position in and out and one hand on the end that did all the steering. I figured out that I had to plan my turns in advance and start turning the kite before leaving the asphalt, then use my momentum to make the turn in the grass and make it back to the asphalt before or at same time as I dipped the kite back into the power zone after the transition so as to keep momentum. Success, those little changes in kite and buggy piloting made all the difference in wanting to give up for the day and having a fun session for next hour and half. Wind never changed, but my piloting did. It was kind of one of those aha moments that seem to come fewer and further between the longer you've been kiting. I hadn't been in the buggy for probably a month and a half so I'm trying to capitalize on days I can make it out. Kind of recharges the batteries when you discover something new or are able to make the most out of a spot and wind conditions. Although, I am getting a little tired of learning about low wind. :rolleyes:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
3shot

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 03:12 PM

Good read Sean. Man just wait till you get to a spot thats like 5 miles long (JIBE hint-hint)!! All the hard work pays off. The janky and lufty inland wind will test a mans kiting soul. Its kinda nervy sending the kite one direction while your still going the other. For me anyway...:thumbup:

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24
4, 5, 6m ATB landsurfer. Custom longboard deck
Buggy: VTT Black Widow v2.0

http://hint.fm/wind/

RonH

Mood: Missing Sunset Beach

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
Thanks guys. Recorded weather data for the day showed plus or minus 8 mph.

That's a good wind day for us...

PL reactor 2013 2.8

PL XR+
Home-brew buggy
Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 09:18 AM

Sean. Go to Jekyll with us next year. It is going to change your life.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
shehatesmyhobbies

Mood: Serious Buggy withdraws!

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 02:47 PM

Good stuff, as most have said, low wind days can bring out the best in you and your skills!

Ron wasn't kidding! We talked about the difference between east and west coast while I was at SOBB, biggest difference for me was seeing all the huge FB kites they all had. If you haven't seen a 14m combat or 16m Vapor flying, you are missing out! Graceful to say the least!

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
My ride: GT Rapide
Check out the Wildwood Buggy Bash Facebook page!
3shot

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 03:34 PM

Agreed Rich. Watching Markite going miles down the beach on his 11m FB Crosskite was awe inspiring. I tried his and failed, but I tried...

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24

WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 3shot  
Good read Sean. Man just wait till you get to a spot thats like 5 miles long (JIBE hint-hint)!! All the hard work pays off. The janky and lufty inland wind will test a mans kiting soul. Its kinda nervy sending the kite one direction while your still going the other. For me anyway...:thumbup:

When are ya going to Wildwood Bro?

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

3shot

[*] posted on 12-4-2015 at 05:00 AM

It is on the list Donnie! Just haven't made it there yet.

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio