Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: For all you Coyote fans out there....
B-Roc

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 12:08 PM
For all you Coyote fans out there....

A skate shop I frequent has these in stock. Seems pretty close to the coyote design.

full details here Powerslide Metropolis SUv skates at Thuro Boardshop

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 03:05 PM
Had been looking around but missed these...

Been waiting to see another option , especiall better design in the UPPER and boot liner. Yes frame looks similar and solid.

Upper and liner hopefully should be better than the Coyotes...

Price is a lot better than even than the Coyotes 1998 price!

Just cracked the buckle on my other Coyote today!

volock

Mood: Choosing your new depower foil quiver is hard...

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 03:55 PM

Thanks. As I haven't been able to find a pair of Terrablades for sale (anywhere) this might just be the ticket.

Edit: And they don't come in my size, cue :(
B-Roc

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 04:35 PM

You may want to call or email Thuro and ask Dave (he will be the one who gets the email) if they don't make your size or if they just don't have your size. He's pretty accommodating when able. He doesn't discount but you can tell him Brian (who rides the Carver trucks) referred you if you want. Everyone in the store is friendly and knowledgeable.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 05:32 PM

Another place called Pro Skaters Place has them with some other sizes....

skates

you can buy just frames to mount to your own boot(not sure how difficult to do ) if you can't find your size in whole boot..

Frames

Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 10:26 AM

These most recent threads about off-road skates pushed me over the edge! I just ordered some yesterday. They look to be an awesome cross-over for snowkiting. I used to do a ton of ice skating and even some road work with four-wheel speed skates back in the day so I'm thinking the learning curve won't be too bad. Yes, helmet, knee and elbow guards, small, non-lifty kite and a grass field to start!

Shockingly, my wife was really pissed (again). :(

Off-road skates

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 10:56 AM

Windstruck,

Did you buy the ones with the long wheel base I see in the link?

I personally FAR prefer the short 3 wheel base like Coyotes. The shorter wheel base makes for much smaller turns + allows me to walk / run out a bad situation. The long wheel base makes getting around even more clumsy.

I agree that Coyote style blades are about as close to kite skiing as you can get.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 11:55 AM

Windstruck, If you did order the PS XC PATH & SEBA FR Deluxe ones in your link...

I agree w/Bladerunner.

You will not be 'carving' w/ these at all like you can with the their Metropolis Model..... or like Coyotes.

Not just turning, but even just skating movement(push and glide, with or without kite) will be more clumsy.

You may want to consider changing your order to Metropolis SUV model if you want more of ski/skate/ freestyle experience- and considering your background(ski/skate). Cheaper $ to make wife less pissed...uhhh..perhaps!

I am considering the Metropolis SUV model(w/heat moldable liners! ) myself....

Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 01:01 PM

Bladerunner and skimwashington - thanks for the advice. I have updated my order and will go with the Metropolis SUV models instead. The website I ordered them from does have the Eu47 size. The first few places I looked at only had them up to 46 which is too small for my feet. I fear even the 47s will be "snug". I started my search yesterday with the Metropolis SUVs in mind but then got away from them with the size thing.

They do look awesome and I really look forward to flying around with them! Thanks again guys; saved (again) from myself by my PKF family!:D

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
volock

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 02:23 PM

I'm super curious how this turns out. The SUV rail kit will fit my current skate boots, making it just bolt on, so sizing won't be an issue. Looking forward to a review/opinion on how they are to use!
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by volock  
I'm super curious how this turns out. The SUV rail kit will fit my current skate boots, making it just bolt on, so sizing won't be an issue. Looking forward to a review/opinion on how they are to use!

Curious? That makes two of us Volock! :D

Temps are forecasted to not get out of the 30's all week with snow in the forecast up here in the Wasatch range so my days could be numbered to get these bad boys on my feet on some fields before Winter blows in. Course that means snowkiting season starts! What I'm sayin is it may be May before I really give these skates the time on my feet they deserve and for what merits a proper review.

I get down to Albuquerque a few times a year for business. Maybe I'll bring my gear down with me sometime and we could get a skate-kite session in. That would be a blast!

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
volock

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 04:05 PM

I'm hoping it's not May, so I know if I need to buy myself a pair! We have access to a giant grass field to use here most the year (minus September/October... namely Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park) and a few other places to go when that's crowded. The local ampitheater/concert venues asphalt is a little rough, but can be a ton of fun on short lines. 70's then high 50's for me this week, so when the wind blows I'll probably get out for the first time. Just got cleared to fly again, provided I'm harnessed in and not flying unhooked/FB on handles, from my recent arm injury.

My real debate is whether to put the money out for these which may not work well, or continue waiting for TerraBlades to come up, and grab them, as I know from my inline skates (and speed skates before I broke one), that I really enjoy the kite skating thing.

Let me know the next time you're headed down and we can grab a beer, or if we're lucky and there's wind, fly! And whatever gear you can't get down here, just let me know and I'll let you use any of mine. I'm jealous of the cold. I'm dieing to get back out on the snow/ice, and just got myself Nordic Blades, and put bindings on both pairs. But it'll be late December before my frozen lake venues are viable. (Feel free to shoot me a U2U for contact details off of here)

NAPKA US314 (Pi)

Stunt Kites: GoFlyAKite Parastunter 1.4m | Pacific Quest Mighty Bug 0.5m and 1.0m | Prism Flip Kite
Arcs: Peter Lynn Venom 19m
Depower Foils: Flysurfer Peak 12m, Peter Lynn Lynx (2015) 5m, 9m
FB Foils: HQ Beamer II 3.6m | Ozone LittleDevil 4.5m | Pansh Ace 5m, 7m | PKD Busta Soulfly 1.5m, 2.4m, Brooza II 7.5m | Prism Tensor 5m | Thunderwing Parawings Set
LEIs: Cabrinha Convert SE 9m | Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 14.0m, Razor 12m, Storm 5.0m

Atomic Terrain Park Skis (w AT adapters for the wind dieing), Snowboard, 21" Isvidda Nordic Skates (NNN-BC and NIS bindings depending on the pair),
Badfisher 11' SUP, Ocean Rodeo JT Pro 138cm
Landyachtz DH Race (Bear 852 Trucks), MBS Comp 95X
RB Swindler, Skorpion Skates
Sysmic S2 Dune Midi XL Buggy
B-Roc

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 04:57 PM

I will be at Thuro this Thursday or Friday picking up my new board. If anyone wants me to check out anything in particular about the Metropolis SUVs, while I'm there, let me know.

skimtwashington

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 06:55 AM

Not to be a Debbie Downer but...

-Chances of Terrablades coming available are less than slim.

(Terrablades w/4 wheels may work a bit better on grass than 3-wheeled as pressure is distributed more...?:puzzled: )

- One site selling the Metropolis SUV claims they run small and actually highlights under size choice('please order 1 to 1 1/2 sizes larger'(in EU sizing)* on the item order page.
Well...you can always get just the frames for your own boots-those that would accept the frame mounting.

I am trying to get a 2nd opinion from another shop on their sizing. You would be best to ask.

If I find out anymore I'll update.

Maybe they know at B-Roc's shop...?

* sizing conversion charts are notoriously erroneous and variable for conversions. I'd say 80-90% are innacurate-not throughout their chart necessarily, but at certain size points.

BTW....1 EU size advance equals ~.75 US size advance.
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 09:58 AM

So.... I ended up going with what I hope will be the best of both worlds. I've ordered the PS Metropolis SUVs AND a set of XC Path Frames. Nordic Frames

The way I see it I will move the boots between the 3-wheel SUV frames and the longer 2-wheel Path frames depending on what I want to do. I do plan to use these for conditioning in addition to kiting and I think the two types will have unique applications.

On a side note, the folks at proskaterplace are great to work with. They offer a "points system" that amounts to discounts on future orders. I bought the SUVs as one order and the Path Frames as a separate, second order, applying the discount from the first order to the second!

Highly excited to open up another fun way to motor around under my kites!!! :cool:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 12:45 PM

Sounds good Windstruck,

The way I see it :

The shorter 3 wheel ( 4 wheel for terrablade ) blades make carving turns MUCH MUCH better. Almost like carving a turn on skis. When you are in motion and hit a full stop, Sand traps etc., you can sort of step / run out the situation. ( or end up flat on your face quicker than you can react ) . The smaller wheels seem to limit my top speeds..

The longer 2 wheel style offer more stability in a straight line when being pulled by the kite. Turns need to be Hooj, or step turns. Trying to get around on your own is very clumsy. Adding larger wheels will increase your top end speeds. The longer the wheel base the more likely you are to bust a leg!

Nothing beats having both to see what style works for you. If I had both I wold go 2 wheel when trying to go faster than 40mph.. 3wheel for free ride.

Coyotes tended to run a bit small on size as well.

I am very pleased to see a new option out there for blades! To me they are the perfect cross over to summer if kite skiing is your #1 passion. I come from a skate / ski background and when I tried the Coyotes there was nobody to advise me. I was over the top with joy when I tried them and found them so kite ski like ! Even in our relatively rough park. On hard pack sand and dry lakes they are amazing fun! :thumbup:

TIP : I drag my toe wheel to check speed going into a turn. etc. . A habit that I have to watch myself with. I end up wanting to do it on skis.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
nate76

Mood: Lets roast some coffee

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 12:59 PM

Ya, definitely post back your success/un-success with these. I've been interested in this sort of concept for quite some time....

Founder/Owner Colorado Kite Sports
Specializing in Gin, Little Cloud & HQ4 foils.
http://coloradokitesports.com
Most used Kites: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou
Skis: Something w/ Marker Baron or Duke Bindings
Boards: Litewave Wing, Naish Jet 2000, OR Mako 140
volock

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 06:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by skimtwashington  
Not to be a Debbie Downer but...

-Chances of Terrablades coming available are less than slim.

I know. I've had trouble getting ahold of him over his pair he posted on sale here/about getting a new custom pair made for me. It's a pipedream I realize is unlikely to come true.

Quote:

BTW....1 EU size advance equals ~.75 US size advance.

That formula makes no sense in my experience... I think you forgot a 3 in front of the .75.

Quote: Originally posted by Windstruck  
So.... I ended up going with what I hope will be the best of both worlds. I've ordered the PS Metropolis SUVs AND a set of XC Path Frames. Nordic Frames

The way I see it I will move the boots between the 3-wheel SUV frames and the longer 2-wheel Path frames depending on what I want to do.

Sounds like an awesome plan. I'd think it should work well. It'll be interesting to hear how they are on grass/dirt (my biggest concern) as when I demo-ed a pair of Nordic Skates, they needed smooth enough of both, I wasn't convinced they'd be kiteable enough for what I wanted to buy a pair.
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 07:16 PM

these look like decent coyote replacements. prepared surface/relatively smooth pack dirt or sand/ short firm grass/trail.

the tire width just makes a world of difference, ATB style tire or larger really opens more terrain choice.

also a bit more wheel base length will more speed comfortably

the best combo i have used is a doom wheel set with ATB (8"or 9") set to limits of boot.

heres a look

fun, agile, jump tolerant and plenty fast!

heres the doom set with 12"

platform IS HIGH! frigtheningly fast.

the poweslide look good for lighter rider may prove super nice match, quick and nimble is fun part and thats what i'm seeing

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio