Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Learning basics w/o instructor?
rofer

Mood: Praying for wind

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 02:28 PM
Learning basics w/o instructor?

So, realizing that lessons are highly recommended when starting out on the water I'm wondering if it's possible to *safely* learn the basics without an instructor. My grandparents own a house on Candlewood Lake which gives me very easy access to it as I'm currently staying nearby. If there were lessons offered there I'd definitely take them, but unfortunately they're not offered. This is most likely because there's very rarely enough wind to keep a kite up in the air over there.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to teach myself the basics of kiteboarding over there on the days when there is some wind. As far as safety goes I'm a competent swimmer, I'll be wearing a life vest, and I can have kayak/boat support if need be.

My plan would be to first get some experience flying my two SLEs on land so I can get comfortable with how they fly. Previously, I've own flown foils and nasa wings.
Next, I would figure out how to boat/drift launch them so I actually have a kite to work with out on the water.
Then, I'd practice body dragging and using the kite to self-rescue (again with support on hand should I need it). As far as I understand it these are the most important thing you learn in lessons.
Finally, if I can get comfortable with all of that I imagine actually learning to water start and go upwind shouldn't be too hard.

Going into this with the winds I have I definitely expect to get stuck downwind a few times, but the lake is a very safe place and I have support on hand.

Does this sound reasonable? Safety is definitely a priority and I don't want to put myself in danger of anything more than losing some time. The winds are definitely on the light side (which is why no one kites here when it's thawed) so I suspect if I have any problems they'll be that I can't get/keep the kite in the air.

Water: 2013 Edge 7m, Cronix 12m, 2013 Flite 17m
Land: Peak 2 6m & 9m, Speed 4 8m

I have kites for sale!
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 03:49 PM

find good conidtions and go there. to learn

poor conitions will be punishing.

anyway,

first, coniditons selection fails "approiate to learn".

reading the weather and conditions is important and vital for activity.

if you find good wind , you will find good models to follow and learn from.

lesson will be better and safer

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
PHREERIDER

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 05:43 PM

its not the instructor you need , you need wind.

a week at good a spot wiith good wind makes a big difference

rofer

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 06:37 PM

Yeah, I get that I need wind, but right now I'm pretty desperate. I just figure if I'm there anyways and it looks like there's enough wind to keep the kite in the air I might as well try it.

In July I'll be in Aruba and I imagine I'll progress a ton while out there, but I can't wait that long to try and get out.

I have kites for sale!
Slappysan

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 10:47 AM

Drift launching kites is the most dangerous way to launch and if you do it you need to be prepared to fully release your kite if anything goes wrong.
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 04:17 PM

Buy a good quality training video and watch it until it plays in your head.
Another good site to check out is www.kitesurfingschool.org

It's not impossible to learn on your own but will be a lot slower and a bit less safe. Safety 1st!!!

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
rofer

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 06:23 AM

I've signed up for some lessons because none of the very few launches nearby appear to be beginner friendly. It looked like lessons would be the fastest way to safely get going.

So far I've only once had the weather cooperate enough to get a static session with my LEI in, but I plan to continue practicing it on land until my lesson actually gets scheduled and an instructor certifies I'm safe to practice on my own at a local beach.

I have kites for sale!
Chrisz

[*] posted on 6-4-2015 at 04:03 AM

That was a good idea to get lessons, having some one around to help you that has no idea what to do is almost worse than no help at all. An instructor that can handle the kite if you get in a little bit of trouble is valuable.

I have been flying foils for 2 years now in the winter, I got in the water and forgot every flying skill I had. Flying a kite on land is childs play, flying a kite while being drug at 5 mph under water and your feet and legs are useless is a whole other ball game. You want to practice flying a kite on land for the water do it on your stomach.

I never thought it would be so hard!

So many kites so little money! Really I'm Broke!
HQ 5.5m, 8m & 11m Apex 4
Ozone Frenzy 11m
Cabrinha Switch Blade 14m & 10m
Cabrinha Stylus 155cm
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 6-4-2015 at 04:11 AM

Great plan taking the lessons. Having them under your belt when you hit Aruba will be priceless!

Getting a good training video and checking out kitesurfingschool.org is still a good idea!

If the lessons are IKO be sure and get your card. Some shops will only rent boards if you can prove proficiency.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 6-4-2015 at 05:06 AM

Thinking back, I had 5 lessons total. Knowing what I know now, I really only needed one of them, and only for a couple of hours. The rest were basically gear rental, lifts back upwind, and confidence building a.k.a. hand-holding. Only one of the teachers really imparted any knowledge and that was just getting me on the board and riding stage...

But don't over-look having someone there to hold your hand. Experience builds knowledge and confidence which is vital but it can be deadly building those. Heck, my local spot is pretty primo - good space downwind on the beach, chest-deep water for a way out, no other beach users, cross-on wind that's usually stable... And we still have accidents with beginners breaking wrists, getting lobbed down the beach, kites in trees, face-plant drags.

To get the most out of your lessons, watch the #@%$#! out of Progression Beginner. Go into the lesson knowing at least what's coming up, what you want to do or with questions; try and get the instructor to at least cover those, then move on. Try to remember the main points of the lesson, check the DVD again and if you can do so safely, practice by yourself til you got it down. Rinse and repeat.

And for the love of God, develop a safety reflex!

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
PHREERIDER

[*] posted on 6-4-2015 at 06:19 AM

kami is spot on. there is the core lesson, body dragging up wind, water relaunch, self-rescue, float plan that are fundamental for safety . the rest is really up to your practice and kinda wiring the fun parts up in your real-time experience. no one can teach you this, you have to feel it out for yourself making the right choices.

paying for the "rescue squad" and hand holding spotter is a choice within your comfort level...for some very much a necessity.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio