Author: Subject: Longboard
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 08:18 PM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm going to take a nap now
ssayre

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 08:34 PM

Thanks guys. It was great, I really like it.

B-roc, I was using the 7 meter. The winds were all over the place, especially down low with the short lines. Winds were forecast at 12 but there were lulls of almost nothing and gusts of 14 I would guess. There were times I was getting overpowered and was about to go down a size but it would settle down and I'd be fine. Usually the nasa is rock steady but with the turbulent wind it looked like a jellyfish flopping around. I think fixed bridle kites would be awesome as well if they would fly well and 10 meter lines (I was using 5 meter but probably could have used 10). I haven't tried it yet but I would also like to try this with the peak on 10 meter lines. I have a feeling it would work really well.
ssayre

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 08:44 PM

By the way, for those of you that make videos, I posted this to vimeo as well, but it wouldn't allow it to be played at all due to copyright. So far it's unrestricted on yt. I guess their rolls have reversed somewhat.
Randy

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 04:41 PM

Way to go Sean! Looked great.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
ssayre

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 02:47 PM

Update on longboard progress. Today I had my second longboard session and I'll have to say longboard on a parking lot is the best thing I've ever done with a kite to date. I had good wind using the 4 meter nasa star on 5 meter lines. I got to a point where I felt completely comfortable going frontside to toeside and carving in between. Weaving around light poles and signs was great. It was 2 hours of endless fluid motion. With very little resistance there just isn't much to stop you with just a breeze. The sidewinder trucks on the longboard allowed me to turn sharply when needed. This is something that was missing when I used my mountain board on pavement. I could use the ENTIRE parking lot. No trouble at all cruising upwind. Downwind actually takes more practice. I share lines between my kites which means I disconnect them every time. The cool thing is you can let the kite drift into the bottom of a light pole base and it tacos so there's no need for stakes or weights and I could disconnect the lines without even bending over. I could have stayed out there all day if I didn't have to work. I'm definitely hooked. :thumbup: I will say that getting used to turns with short lines takes practice. I had already mastered that on the buggy but it's something that you have to put the time in, but once you do longbaord can't be beat for inland cruising.

Next thing to work on is slides I guess. :puzzled:
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
It was 2 hours of endless fluid motion.

Next thing to work on is slides I guess. :puzzled:

deepening your addiction ....i bet your thinking about , if not doing it , RIGHT NOW!

that kinda phlow ....you just can't say no , man thats what its about, cool stuff.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
PHREERIDER

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 04:01 PM

butter balls if you wanna slide , but big grippy soft wheels are my favorite , i always go back to them

ssayre

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 04:06 PM

Thanks phree it's pretty awesome. I was edging pretty hard and knew I was close to sliding then I'd ease off to prevent wipeout. I was planning on doing a non kite run to test when the wheels I have will break grip so I can anticipate.
3shot

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 04:12 PM

Sounds like you found your sweet spot! :cool: :thumbup:

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24
4, 5, 6m ATB landsurfer. Custom longboard deck
Buggy: VTT Black Widow v2.0

http://hint.fm/wind/

B-Roc

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 04:59 PM

[rquote=288051&tid=30078&author=ssayre
Next thing to work on is slides I guess. :puzzled:[/rquote]

81a Flashbacks are my go to slide wheel. Lots of fun but not too sure how it would work out with a kite. You don't want to flat spot them or high side the board.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
3shot

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 05:03 PM

We've got to get you a GoPro Sean!!

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24
4, 5, 6m ATB landsurfer. Custom longboard deck
Buggy: VTT Black Widow v2.0

http://hint.fm/wind/

ssayre

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 05:52 PM

I've got an ion air pro but it's only 720p. I'll get some different angles next time and now that I know what I'm doing it should be a lot better. I didn't have the camera with me today unfortunately. I didn't know it was going to be a good one.

B-roc would the harder wheels get tripped up easier on debris (tiny rocks)? The 78a seem to be performing really well for normal cruising and edging. It will be fun to experiment with.
B-Roc

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 06:57 PM

I doubt the wheels will rip up but you will feel the road more. 81a is not that hard. I ride 98a in the park and those don't chip when I ride them on the street and many use 101a as tech slide wheels.

The parking lot that I want to fly kites at is more rough than the hills I ride my longboard at but its a fun place to skate. I feel it more when I ride there but the wheels don't seem to notice the difference. If the 78s are working I'd stick with them. I don't think I'd go more than 82a as you don't want the wheels to get too icey when you are powered. An 86a wheel might be fun if it allowed you to stand up 180 fast and get it back under control without being pulled off backside.

You really have me thinking about what I want to do. My son's ATB has post bindings. I wish MBS still sold them as I think they'd be great to drill into a longboard and then you could make some killer turns and slides with more confidence as it would ride like a traditional ATB.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
PHREERIDER

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 06:38 AM

now we're getting somewhere.

ssayre, to slide ---> medium controlled speed , stroke for power , bend knees /hips sit and push out hard and try to brake/stop, then right back on top.

head back , wear gloves ! if the wheels are too grippy, pour some water on the pavement and make a pass thru puddle and will give better slippage after a pass thru. just enough to wet wheel surface.

hill billy pants might come in handy as well

B-Roc

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PHREERIDER  
! if the wheels are too grippy, pour some water on the pavement and make a pass thru puddle and will give better slippage after a pass thru.

Its amazing how much difference a little water makes. I went out last fall after a passing shower to ride a damp but puddle free road. Slides were way more icey and fast. Speed checks turned in to 180s. It was fun but sketch as it was harder to get a feel for when the wheels would lock back up.

Ditto on the slide gloves. They are absolutely necessary.

PS, riding in the rain will trash the bearings fast so while a little water is OK, wet bearings are toast if not cleaned post ride.

soliver

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 08:25 AM

good work Sean... Look forward to more Vids

ssayre

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 08:27 AM

Good stuff. My board is a permenant fixture in the truck now. Will be working on slides when I get a chance.
soliver

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 08:32 AM

OOPSY... I posted on the wrong thread

soliver

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 11:20 AM

Delete

soliver

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 11:30 AM

So I took my kids to the roller skating rink for the first time this last weekend and reminded myself of how much time I spent on In line skates through High school and some of college... so now the wheels are turning and I'm considering craigslist for a used pair of skates... hmmmmmmmmm

Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 12:03 PM

I would love a pair of doom wheels in some nice tall boots. I haven't had much luck finding the metal to make the frames though. I want to take the 8" wheels off my MBS ATB to use for the wheels. I have been skating almost as long as flying kites, and I am a decent skater if I do say so myself. If I had a large enough parking lot I could easily do some nice kite skating.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
ssayre

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 12:08 PM

Spencer, that would probably work well. It takes a couple sessions to get short line sorted but it's great when you do.

"You really have me thinking about what I want to do. My son's ATB has post bindings. I wish MBS still sold them as I think they'd be great to drill into a longboard and then you could make some killer turns and slides with more confidence as it would ride like a traditional ATB."

You might like bindings but I really like the freedom of strapless compared to my landboard. It's nice being able to push off when starting to get the initial momentum going and it's nice to be able to hop on and off with ease if the wind is sketchy.
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sadsack  
Give me a price on them, if I have the money I will buy them.:puzzled:

Yes they can at first be a pain to use. But like everything it get better with time. Like a good wine.

U2U sent.

Yes, I could see how they would work but I find rollerblades give a more similar experience to kite skiing and I like that.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
soliver

[*] posted on 3-21-2015 at 07:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Demoknight  
I would love a pair of doom wheels in some nice tall boots. I haven't had much luck finding the metal to make the frames though.

Errol, I always use Metal Supermarket for anything I might need stock for http://metalsupermarkets.com/store-finder/ ... It looks like there are 4 locations in the Chicago area.

The great thing about Metal Supermarket is they will cut any stock to any length you need, and they'll punch, drill or bend to your specifications too, so you just tell them what you need and they'll deliver.... might be a good option since I remember you said all your fabrication tools are still in GA.

PHREERIDER

[*] posted on 3-21-2015 at 05:34 PM

speedymetals.com is good source , Wisconsin . i think.

Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 10:06 AM

Nice Spence, I will look into that!

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m