Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 0-30 w/Flysurfer 4m Peak2 in West Michigan
4w7s

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 01:17 PM
0-30 w/Flysurfer 4m Peak2 in West Michigan

Finally got out on the ice & snow today with the 4m Peak2 in some very gusty/shifty wind...a really good test for the kite' overall performance.

The wind was very gusty...the kind of wind that makes it very difficult to chose a kite size. There were 2 other LEI's out...a 5.5m and 7m inflatable.

When the wind ws "on" all kites performed well...but where the Peak2 showed one of it's true virtues was when the wind would drop to almost zero....the inflatables would fall out of the sky waiting for a sufficiently strong gust to relaunch. With the Peak I just kept on chugging away through the big holes in the wind because the kite is literally as light as a feather.

Turning speed is very fast and the kite handles massive gusts without any problem. The new bar is a treat with the spinning chicken loop, the stopper ball, and extra depower with the trim cleat. Altogether I think Flysurfer did a great job in this quickly consumated second generation Peak.
:thumbup:

The Peak2 is quite different than the Peak1 as has been mentioned in other threads.

Very very pleased, can't wait to fly this kite in steady wind...and can't wait to fly the bigger sizes soon,

If anyone is here in MI and wants to check them out just let me know...

in the meantime pray for snow!!!

btw, a friend of mine out in Utah, and very trusted source, flew the 12m Peak2 in winds that went to 30 kts and he said he was OK!!! When he launched the wind was about 15 kts. He siad the jumping and gliding with the 12m Peak is really good...a completely different characteristic from the Peak1 (of which he owns the 6m and 9m) He was very impressed.

4W7S - Gear Sales - Kitesurfing and Snowkiting Instruction

Core - Flysurfer - Spleene - Aviso - Firewire - Atomic - Dynafit - Nordica - Sprinter
sadsack

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 03:01 PM

Very nice
renny:alien:
icikite

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 04:20 PM

I already have a peak2 6m and I am looking for a high wind kite. I does not know if I will buy a Peak2 4m or a Viron2 6m. So from what I read the Peak2 4m will be safe in gusting condition.Did you used the Viron before? If so which one is best.
Thanks.
Feyd

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 06:19 PM

The Peak 2 is more of a performance touring kite, higher AR and faster turn rate. (turns like a sport kite. :D)

The Viron is designed for use as a beginner/teaching kite with it's "Auto-relaunch" feature, low AR, non-invert bridle and slower turn rate.

I've flown the Peak2 4m and the Viron 6m back to back and IMO the Peak is a better high wind kite and more fun for a broader spectrum of kiter. The Peak is rated for higher winds but just slightly so but it is also less likely to have a problem if you accidently crash it in high winds. The Peak 4m has better up wind performance as well. They are very close in gust handling and in depow. I was surprised at how nice the Viron is to fly.

Of course the 6m Viron is water relaunchable by design.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
4w7s

[*] posted on 1-7-2015 at 11:51 PM

sorry icikite, i have not done a comparison yet. but i felt totally safe with the 4m Peak 2 when the wind was really nuking and I felt very comfortable launching and landing the kite by myself in those sketchy conditions. I was also very happy with the low end of the 4m. This 4m kite turns really fast. Also, it seemed I could completely depower the kite with the trim strap and bar sheeting. so this is a big advance over the Peak1 in this respect.

4W7S - Gear Sales - Kitesurfing and Snowkiting Instruction

Core - Flysurfer - Spleene - Aviso - Firewire - Atomic - Dynafit - Nordica - Sprinter

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio